Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2004 4:40:24 PM EDT
i saw a steyr GB with 2 hi cap mags at my local gun shop today for 650 out the door. i know little about these pistol and would like to know if 650 is a fair price. the gun is in near mint condition and comes with 2 hi cap mags. i have heard of the gb but have never seen one, this gun will be purchased to add to my collection because although i plan to shoot it i don't plan to carry it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2004 5:16:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I had one for about two years when they were available. Very accurate gun...I could easily roll 8in. head plates offhand at 100yd. with it using good ammo. Downside is it is big...I mean, BIG. It also heats the barrel up a lot after a box or two of ammo...so hot it will burn through vinyl seats if laid down on them with slide locked back I have no idea of their value now, but they never sold very well so I suspect there are not all that many around. I would think $650 is very high for a used one around here...$450 would be more like it if in really good condition. (And, BTW, I would think you would be pretty much up the creek on extra mags for it now as well...the mags do not interchange with anything else I know of)

I think you could do much better for an investment at that price...but then I'm no collector so WTF do I know?
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
They were marketed under a different name before they were called the Steyr GB.  I don't remeber the full name off hand, but I recall something about P-18, I suppose in reference to it's 18 shot capacity magazines.

Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
They were marketed under a different name before they were called the Steyr GB.  I don't remeber the full name off hand, but I recall something about P-18, I suppose in reference to it's 18 shot capacity magazines.

Yeah, Rogak or something... I understand those had many problems due to poor manufacturing.  No such problems with the Steyr guns, if I recall correctly.

Edited to add:  Steyr GB

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
 I have a GB.  Very accurate & reliable.  It will shoot light or heavy loads equally well due to the gas brake system.  Its definately too big to carry but I bought it just for shooting which it does quite well.   Ive seen them listed for as much as 1K online.  Spare clips can run $100 or more.  
I found an article a while back that said they were built for military sale at the same time as the Aug.  Steyr got contracts for the Aug but not the GB so the GB line was folded to increase Aug production.  Total production figures are uncertain but a rep at Gun South ( the original importer)
told me total imports to US were about 2K units.  It would make a good shooter, thats the cheapest Ive heard of one for about 10 years.  If you do a Google search you can find a few articles about the GB.  The stainless one made here called the Rojak is supposed to be a great paper weight but a lousy pistol.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:38:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes...the Rojak was a rip off of the Steyer design...the real Steyer guns are very well made. As I recall, the Rojak made its appearence here before the real McCoy and that caused Steyer some problems with PR. These are pretty nice fun guns, but I would have serious doubts about being able to get replacement parts should you need them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I got some grip screws from gun South about a year ago.  They said most small parts were available but magazines were not.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top