Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Steyr L9-A2 (Page 1 of 7)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/7/2020 9:50:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak]
Looks like they are showing up again, sliders interchange although they are different with a relocated loaded chamber indicator.recoil spring is suppose to be heavier although at one pound I don’t notice anything. A1 mags with in A2 but not other way around. Grips are obviously different and much better with the new changeable side and backing although I do miss the finger groove. Trigger is heavier although that’s a new trigger vs a very used one with np3. Still very little reset. New chassis for the trigger is pretty neat if they ever make anything for it. Otherwise seems like a good amount of upgrades. Only wish list is optics ready slide but I have an A1 milled already so not major.  The A1 is dirty as I haven’t cleaned it due to its range toy status my other L9 and S9 are cleaned regularly.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:48:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: meistermash] [#1]
I guess I'll have to find an online source and order one.
Never seen one in stock at any lgs.
I can find all the turkey junk and off brand ssssy pistols.
And damned few cz.
But the folks at the counter of the sportsmans whore house have never heard of steyr.

Etask. Do those have a manual lock on them like a s&w Hillary hole?
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 9:15:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By meistermash:
I guess I'll have to find an online source and order one.
Never seen one in stock at any lgs.
I can find all the turkey junk and off brand ssssy pistols.
And damned few cz.
But the folks at the counter of the sportsmans whore house have never heard of steyr.

Etask. Do those have a manual lock on them like a s&w Hillary hole?
View Quote

Next shipment is suppose to be in next month. Not sure if that includes the M9A2 or C9A2 as well or not. Yep locking is on there. Two keys come with it but it also works as a button on the take down lever.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive had mine for about 4 months. I really like it. Very controlled follow up shots.
Link Posted: 6/1/2020 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Wish there was better factory support. I have an early M9 and had an early M40. High cap mags are non-existent. Like the M9 I kept, just wish you could find mags for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:45:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody know when the M9-A2 is due to drop?  My A1 is definitely my favorite polymer gun, but the A2 might transform it to, dare I say, perfection?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 7:14:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#6]
Originally Posted By Tan41:
Anybody know when the M9-A2 is due to drop?  My A1 is definitely my favorite polymer gun, but the A2 might transform it to, dare I say, perfection?
View Quote

Suppose to have been here already. Word is it’s delayed till August September. Hopefully there are mags in that shipment as it’s not possible to find them at the moment. There is also a guy making some base plates for the A2 to make it able to be used in a A1 since A2 mags are available still. That said you pay for his time and the materials which is a 39 mag to start with
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The 17 round mags are available again at steyr-arms.com

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/a1-pistol-mags
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 11:10:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Chant75:
The 17 round mags are available again at steyr-arms.com

https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/a1-pistol-mags
View Quote

Thank you, grabbed a few more for the A1s. Great pistols
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 2:49:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donner_und_Blitzen] [#9]
I have one of the  subcompact, it has some extraction problems, not reliable enough to carry. I really like it, just don’t trust it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Donner_und_Blitzen:
I have one of the  subcompact, it has some extraction problems, not reliable enough to carry. I really like it, just don’t trust it.
View Quote

Remove the extractor, spring, and pin.  Clean and very lightly lube the spring and pin.  Clean the channel on the slide that the spring and pin sit in.  Reassemble.  Doing this will resolve the extraction issue in many cases.

Link Posted: 7/30/2020 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I've seen and handled one at a local shop, but it's not something I'd pay $600 or even $500 for personally.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 3:47:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donner_und_Blitzen] [#12]
I like mine, it shoots great other than the intermittent extraction. I will take the extractor and spring out and clean and oil and check for burrs see if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 1:16:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I just ordered one today.  My m9-a1 is the one poly striker fired pistol I regret selling.  Hopefully I like this one as much.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 5:18:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#14]
Nice, where did you find them in stock at? Wondering if the shipment came in that has been delayed and if so will we see the C9A2 soon
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I just placed a back order.  Hopefully it comes in before the election.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:57:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you place your order at a local dealer or did you find a place to order online? Unfortunately for me I don’t have any Steyr dealers anywhere near me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:41:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#17]
Steyr finally responded and they said October is the next shipment date. So hopefully soon. That said for 300 you can get the bb tech bb6 that Was designed by the same guy from classic. Company is gone so just a intresting gun at the point. They also said no optics planned on this Verizon but it would be in the works on the next version. Assume they mean gens so it’s gonna be a long road, unless they do a specific optics run
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:50:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I like mine, it shoots great other than the intermittent extraction. I will take the extractor and spring out and clean and oil and check for burrs see if that helps.
View Quote

They have an updated extractor available that is an easy change.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Today my daughter bought a M9-A1 for her husband's birthday.
I've never given them a second thought until now, watched a few video reviews today and they look like a nice pistol.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#20]
Originally Posted By Another-Bill:
I've never given them a second thought until now, watched a few video reviews today and they look like a nice pistol.
View Quote

Awesome timing, The A1 are done for production too so it’s great to get them before they are gone. The A2 hopefully will be here in October, but the M series are awesome. Let us know how you like it, but they are solid guns. Bubits worked under Gaston glock I believe in the Glock gen 2 before going to steyr and developing the M series. If they decide to take out the trigger module (like the p320) watch the the slide release and the locking button, they can go spring a little distance and while the A1 and a2 are really the same parts it’s hard to get extra parts at the moment. Just grip the slide release and keep a eye on the locking button as there is a small spring under it. Besides that I can’t think of anything else, other than enjoy the triangle sights and if your interested in aftermarket pick up what you can at ranger precision although there are other shops for guide rods and springs. Also they may want to snag a few mags as a shipment just hit and those have been hard to get with steyr au shipments being pushed back.
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

It’s a big improvement. My old shells would land on my hat at times, after they fling pretty far off. That said even with old extractor only issue I ever had was one stove pipe after I took the thing apart and reassembled to clean it, cleared it an no issues since. Guess you shouldn’t clean your guns?  Any way I abuse the A1 pretty good and it’s been good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:32:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MissileCop] [#22]
View Quote

Good choice.

If he finds the grip a little slick, send him to Talon Grips for a wraparound grip.  Two (ETA now three*) different textures to choose from.

As you can tell, I'm happy with the combination.

Link Posted: 8/19/2020 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Played with it today, my daughter dropped it off so he wouldn't find it, awesome pistol.  
Odd that it didn't catch on, I really like it a lot. A whole lot.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Played with it today, my daughter dropped it off so he wouldn't find it, awesome pistol.  
Odd that it didn't catch on, I really like it a lot. A whole lot.
View Quote

Tell your daughter that you want one for your birthday or Father's Day, whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By MissileCop:

Tell your daughter that you want one for your birthday or Father's Day, whichever comes first.
View Quote

This is a good point, more coming in soon too
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 11:26:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MissileCop:

Good choice.

If he finds the grip a little slick, send him to Talon Grips for a wraparound grip.  Two different textures to choose from.

As you can tell, I'm happy with the combination.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/6492/TheSteyrFamily_JPG-1504839.jpg
View Quote

Looks like a S9! surprised to see one. Not a lot go for it, pretty sure that means you have good taste!
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 11:32:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#27]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879200004

Shipment may have hit, 17 L9A2 is very surprising to see

Also a C9A2
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879212530
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Ooh...that's tempting.  But I think I'd rather wait until they drop a L40-A2, so I can throw a .357Sig barrel into it.

My favorite 9mm comes in a .357Sig case.

Originally Posted By Kwisak:
Looks like a S9! surprised to see one. Not a lot go for it, pretty sure that means you have good taste!
View Quote

Yep, there's a S9 and S40 in the pic.  The S40 has a Ranger Point .357 Sig barrel in it.  Steyr only made the M357A1 version until 2014.  I wanted a L357A1 and S357A1, so bought the barrels to make it happen.

Those who know me would forcefully disagree with your comment about good taste.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 10:51:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#29]
Are they doing the 40? I thought they were solely 9mm in the A2 format? I know ranger point still has a few barrels in stock but I think they are done making 357 barrels or really any accessories. Wish I got a few more weights from them as well. I have gotten some die hard glockers to at least admit it’s a solid gun. A few have considered the switch until they found out how much of a PITA it is to find one or accessories. That said I’m a fanAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:48:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MissileCop] [#30]
Are they doing the 40? I thought they were solely 9mm in the A2 format? I know ranger point still has a few barrels in stock but I think they are done making 357 barrels or really any accessories. Wish I got a few more weights from them as well. I have gotten some die hard glockers to at least admit it’s a solid gun. A few have considered the switch until they found out how much of a PITA it is to find one or accessories. That said I’m a fanhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/8D62BF00-F628-452F-ABC1-42216CB75816_jpe-1594806.JPG
View Quote

Given that most agencies are going back to 9mm, they may be getting out of the .40 market, which would be too bad.  I hadn't heard either way.  But if the demand isn't there, then it doesn't make financial sense to produce something that won't sell in large numbers.  Though some of that demand might be found if they actually invested in some decent US marketing, which has always been one of their weak points. Even nowadays, I still run across some gun people that look at me when they ask what I'm shooting, and I tell them that it's a Steyr.

Yeah, looks like Ranger Point is done with offering accessories for Steyr's, which is a shame.  I also wished that I had been able to grab a few extra weights, as well as a few extra L40 recoil assemblies from them.  

If someone has a .40 A1, and wants to get into the .357Sig game,  Rim Country Mfg still has some S&C/M/L drop-in barrels available.  I grabbed a S and L last night, just so that I would have spares down the road.

****Just got a look at the A2 users manual, and there is mention of .40S&W models.

Steyr A2 manual
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#31]
https://v1tactical.com

If anyone is looking for a A2, They seem to have the best deals by far and will have some M9 and C9 coming in in the next month or so.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:11:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oswald01] [#32]
Finally got around to shooting a Steyr M357 A1. First couple of mags went well. Switched ammo brand from old American Eagle to new Sig Sauer. After 10 or so round, failure to fire. Looked at cartridge and looked to be a light strike. Happened again.

Thing got a little funky field stripping and reassembly. Something was not right. Decided to pull the firing pin. I had read online that some had experienced light strikes and upon pulling the firing pin small round metal pieces were found. Seemed like internet lore. Sure enough, after pulling the firing pin, much to my amazement TWO small round pieces of metal fell out. I assume these were from primers having the metal pushed through the firing pin hole on recoil.

I'll shoot it again later this week to see if that's the cure.

Any speculation or lore about these metal pieces?

BTW, I'm no gunsmith but I pulled the extractor as well. That was a bitch to get back in. The spring and small metal piece went flying a dozen or so times. Don't do this in a carpeted area.

ETA I remember comments do not buy 357 Sig model, get 9mm as you can always get 9mm. Gotta say, much easier to buy 357 Sig online versus 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I am not familiar with the steyrs breech face but, how I cured that with my Ruger with round firing pin hole was to break the edge of the hole with a polishing rod.
Then it doesn't sheer the dimple off the primer.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:40:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
I am not familiar with the steyrs breech face but, how I cured that with my Ruger with round firing pin hole was to break the edge of the hole with a polishing rod.
Then it doesn't sheer the dimple off the primer.
View Quote

Thanks. I'll try that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 11:19:07 PM EDT
[#35]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Have a C9A1 and M9A1.

The M9A1 has always run good. Doesn't eject cases the same direction all the time but it does ectract them all the time.

The C9A1 is a different story. Always had extraction issues. Tried new extractors from Steyr but they didn't help. Finally an extractor from a .40 seemed to make it better but still had issues at times.

Stuck it in the safe, haven't done anything with it for the past couple of years.

Just got it back out and checked with Steyr about new extractors and they sent another one here in Sept. Took it to the range and it threw more brass to the left of the gun and at my head than it did to the right of the gun. Threw it back in the range bag in disgust. Love the feel of the gun, it just runs like crap. Think I'll just skip the A2s.

Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:53:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#36]
Originally Posted By coltc:

Have a C9A1 and M9A1.

The M9A1 has always run good. Doesn't eject cases the same direction all the time but it does ectract them all the time.

The C9A1 is a different story. Always had extraction issues. Tried new extractors from Steyr but they didn't help. Finally an extractor from a .40 seemed to make it better but still had issues at times.

Stuck it in the safe, haven't done anything with it for the past couple of years.

Just got it back out and checked with Steyr about new extractors and they sent another one here in Sept. Took it to the range and it threw more brass to the left of the gun and at my head than it did to the right of the gun. Threw it back in the range bag in disgust. Love the feel of the gun, it just runs like crap. Think I'll just skip the A2s.

View Quote

My L9 has been solid but I believe those came out after the spring swap, that said the ejection at times would land on your hat. One  stove pipe in all the rounds but it was after cleaning and take down so I did a quick strip and put it back together. No more issues but still not sure what could have been wrong either. The  springs in the A2 have changed especially the recoil so maybe it’s no longer an issue. I will have a C9A2 and report back but hopefully after all this time and a new generation they fixed any issue. That said I would let steyr USA know and try to get them to fix the issue. If not I’m sure there are some who would still take that off your hands.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#37]
After cleaning out the metal primer dimple pieces, my M357 A1 ran perfect. Really nice pistol and enjoy the 357 Sig round. Like that this ammo is readily available on line.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:37:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oswald01] [#38]
Installed some stick on grips, GUSGRIPS.com.
Really pleased, brings the pistol alive. My early Steyr's grips from the factory were a bit slick for my tastes. I got the SRG70 style, a polymerized sandpaper effect.

BTW The grip came with 2 extra pieces that fit in the channels above the grip proper just behind the trigger. I put the two extras on the front of the frame. My support hand thumb catches the one on the left side to give a very secure wraparound grip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 2:56:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#39]
C9a2 came in so now it’s off to the range and maybe time to move over my daily carry after a few hundred roundsAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#41]
So only 50 rounds down so far with a hope to take more time off Friday and hit the 200-250 mark. Overall it’s a great pistol. The ejection hasn’t been an issue yet but with so few rounds I am hoping this doesn’t change Friday. Lower is the same and uppers beyound length are the same so they will lock up on each other’s frame. The grips is great for shooting but you will want a undershirt as it is pretty aggressive. Range pics coming Friday, too many new gun owners at local range so phones and cameras banned on the line to stop the stupidity selfiesAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Love my M9-A1 curious how much of an improvement the a2 really is
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By PewPewPew1212:
Love my M9-A1 curious how much of an improvement the a2 really is
View Quote

Slide is the same although they changed the side the channel is on. The grip is where the change is and it’s really nice for getting the right feel with the side and back straps as well as over all stippling. Flared mag well is nice and new mags are a plus. Other then that it’s the same.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:51:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#44]
Attachment Attached File

A little more time today as my morning cleared up. No issues so far and extraction is the same with no issues. Brought the L9 today and while it’s snappier it’s overall pretty smooth given the size of the slide.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 5:41:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blazin_Bill] [#45]
My L9-A2 arrives Wednesday. Anyone know of a decent competition kydex (Tek-Lok compatible) holster? I even contacted Black Trident in Austria, but they don't ship to the US.
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 9:46:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#46]
Doubleclick makes one that is pretty good but I get mine made at we plead the 2nd. Really like them For two gun and general carry. Used them on everything really and I like their designs. It will push into a A1 holster but rubs a good bit even though the slides are interchangeable. Tried it on a C9A1 and a L9A1 holster with the same results. Not sure on tek lok though Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#47]
OP ... who did you have mill the slide on your A1 for an RMR ?

Got any pics?
Link Posted: 10/26/2020 11:21:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#48]
Originally Posted By Warhawk:
OP ... who did you have mill the slide on your A1 for an RMR ?

Got any pics?
View Quote

So I did a deltapoint since I had one sitting around and already had a rmr on a 320, 226, Masada. So wanted to try it out, plus keep triangle going. That and I liked the idea of built in back ups. As far as the mill goes it’s pretty easy on a M series or C series due to the location of the loaded chamber indicator but on the L series you will lose that function they have to make room for the bolt and fill that channel. Mine was done by L&M Precision. I have heard if you do a rmr you won’t lose that function now, but that’s 2nd hand from the steyr forum. I’ll go grab some pics of it next to my other A1 so you can see the difference. Pics are up

A1 on a A2 = A3 Attachment Attached File

Down the site, looks like a triangle in person
Attachment Attached File

Sides, it gets close to extractor but no issues Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Back where you lose loaded indicator Attachment Attached File

Under where you can see the hole weldAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:38:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kwisak] [#49]
So I was taking apart the slide for cleaning and realized we do have some different parts in the slide beyound the channel switching sides. Here is the extractor of a A1 in fde coated in silver Np3 and black A2Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 11:33:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Warhawk] [#50]

So I did a deltapoint since I had one sitting around and already had a rmr on a 320, 226, Masada. So wanted to try it out, plus keep triangle going. That and I liked the idea of built in back ups. As far as the mill goes it’s pretty easy on a M series or C series due to the location of the loaded chamber indicator but on the L series you will lose that function they have to make room for the bolt and fill that channel. Mine was done by L&M Precision. I have heard if you do a rmr you won’t lose that function now, but that’s 2nd hand from the steyr forum. I’ll go grab some pics of it next to my other A1 so you can see the difference. Pics are up

A1 on a A2 = A3 steak sauce https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/F68EEA0A-5697-45BC-8131-285162093127_jpe-1655865.JPG
Down the site, looks like a triangle in person
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/0636D6CD-2BA1-4CA3-B5D9-87A3D09146C8_jpe-1655866.JPG
Sides, it gets close to extractor but no issues https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/6DD71D0B-07AA-448A-B346-07038BE55468_jpe-1655868.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/F9A366BA-7E96-4EE7-BC0A-3D6A68F06571_jpe-1655867.JPG
Back where you lose loaded indicator https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/D22EC42B-EAB9-4B5D-AF23-CB0B1FC8B33F_jpe-1655869.JPG
Under where you can see the hole weldhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/8A9D9857-224F-429F-B708-0A1C4ED84D38_jpe-1655870.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/448154/89A4F89A-F0BC-415A-BB29-CD001D07D444_jpe-1655872.JPG
View Quote

Thanks, I have two M9A1’s.  I don’t really plan to add an A2.  Did L&M refinish the machined area?  I need to do some research and decide on which RMR I want.  Or if I want to do it on a Steyr at all, versus buying something else that’s already cut.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Steyr L9-A2 (Page 1 of 7)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top