Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2020 2:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThePontificator]
Our LGS (Ace Hardware) had a couple of STR-9's when they were first introduced and it took them forever to sell. I was quite hopeful that this pistol would be THE budget gun of the year but was lukewarm upon actually handling it. Trigger was tolerable. Not heavy, but gritty. Felt too large in my hand. Magazine (came with 1) would not drop free. Front sight was bent a degree or two to the left (WTF?) For $300 I was not overly impressed and I wanted to like it.

The store has now gotten in some new ones and Stoeger has made some noticeable improvements:

Magazines ready drop free (actually they shoot out)
Front sight is not bent (how those bent ones ever got past QC....)
Grip texture feels improved a bit
Slide feels like it has better machining less sharp edges
Trigger is vastly improved it's light with no grittiness. Very nice. VERY NICE.
The pistols the store got in each come with 3 magazines
Their price? $349

Store got in six of them and four have already been sold in fact someone came in and bought one out of the safe while I was fondling the one in the display case.

Would I buy one? No, but only because CDNN sells Walther Creeds for $250 no tax, minimal ship charge.

But the improvements are commendable.

It is still a very heavy pistol for its size but that is not necessarily a bad thing (absorbs recoil)
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather have that than any of the polymer Berettas fo sho.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Another pistol I'd like to fondle is the Zenith Arms (Girsan) MC28
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 7:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Another pistol I'd like to fondle is the Zenith Arms (Girsan) MC28
View Quote
Zenith no longer imports these, EAA does, and they rob mags as usual.  Zenith guns came with 3 mags, EAA guns come with 1.  

It's internally identical to M&P1.0.  Just built with thicker components.  Search my video of one on Youtube.  SnakeDoc is my screen name
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DCopp:

Zenith no longer imports these, EAA does, and they rob mags as usual.  Zenith guns came with 3 mags, EAA guns come with 1.  

It's internally identical to M&P1.0.  Just built with thicker components.  Search my video of one on Youtube.  SnakeDoc is my screen name
View Quote
Subscribed.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Subscribed.
View Quote
appreciate it.  I also have detail strip videos of the Stoeger on my channel
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I might pick the STR-9 up, if the next one I run across is as good as you say those are.

The ones I've handled so far have not been anything I've wanted to own.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
I might pick the STR-9 up, if the next one I run across is as good as you say those are.

The ones I've handled so far have not been anything I've wanted to own.
View Quote
Again, if I were in the market for a budget full-size handgun the Creed from CDNN is hard to beat for $249 + shipping no tax.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Again, if I were in the market for a budget full-size handgun the Creed from CDNN is hard to beat for $249 + shipping no tax.
View Quote
He'srightyouknow.meme
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I was interested in the STR when it first came out, seemed like a Glock internally but with M&P ergonomics. The one I handled was a bit tougher than I wanted to deal with though and mags were expensive. If they’ve improved and come with more than 1 mag I’d reconsider for the right price (not more than $300).
Link Posted: 3/27/2020 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one several months back.  Fine shooter most definitely. Mine came with 3 mags @ $259.00
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:00:46 PM EDT
[#11]
APXs are 299-325 now, I picked up a full size and have been very impressed with it. If you can get past the look of the slide they’re great guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LD623:
APXs are 299-325 now, I picked up a full size and have been very impressed with it. If you can get past the look of the slide they’re great guns.
View Quote

I've read a lot of bad & quirky things about the APX on berettaforum.net BUT, If I could find one locally for $299 or less I'd buy one to try in either the full size or Centurion, the other two are stupid looking and serve no purpose to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Rainier Arms advertised STR-9's with night sights and three mags for $399 or three mags no NS for $349 which is their MSRP I believe. Obviously they're not putting them on sale given the demand.

I still think the Creed is a better deal (and I'm still not opposed to getting one myself even if I don't "need" it.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:39:30 PM EDT
[#14]
KyGunCo has STR9 base model for $238 shipped.  Mags for $19.99
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 3:48:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I would pay up to $350 for one, but I would definitely want to put hands on it first, to be sure it was from the later "improved" run and not part of the bleh first run.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Picked up the STR-9 on Thursday. Total investment $339, pistol with 4 mags shipped was $309 Transfer $30 First impression is good. Only had one mag That would drop free, trigger was a little heavy. Took it to the range yesterday and put 100 rounds through it. No issues, no malfunctions. Happy with the pistol to this point. More rounds and range time will tell. I did do a .25 cent trigger job on it after the range trip. Trigger does fill a little better. Found a safariland holster that the STR fits in.

Link Posted: 7/6/2020 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Just bought one on KYGUNCO this morning for $340. This is the Optic Ready Model with 3 mags and 4 mounting plates. I’ve been looking for a budget 9mm pistol with the factory ability to add an optic. Now I need opinions on a budget optic for it. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/7/2020 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Vortex venom 3 MOA
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Vortex venom 3 MOA
View Quote

I’ll check it out. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2020 3:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: medicman5000] [#20]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:
Just bought one on KYGUNCO this morning for $340. This is the Optic Ready Model with 3 mags and 4 mounting plates. I’ve been looking for a budget 9mm pistol with the factory ability to add an optic. Now I need opinions on a budget optic for it. Any suggestions?
View Quote

HOLOSUN 3MOA SHAKE AWAKE RED DOT PISTOL SIGHT - HS407A3 @ Palmetto State Armory. $200.00, sometimes cheaper when they go on sale (I think I bought mine @ $169.99)! Awesome budget option!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/holosun-3moa-shake-awake-red-dot-pistol-sight-hs407a.html

Link Posted: 7/14/2020 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#21]

I've read a lot of bad & quirky things about the APX on berettaforum.net BUT, If I could find one locally for $299 or less I'd buy one to try in either the full size or Centurion, the other two are stupid looking and serve no purpose to me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LD623:

Funny, I post there a lot, and haven't read a lot bad about them at all aside from the looks and slide being slippery when wet. Yes, they're doused in oil when shipped from Italy. Pull the frame insert, clean off shipping oil, strip slide, clean out shipping oil there, and all the "gritty trigger" and other bs go away.

I run a full size for competition and have a "stupid" compact for EDC. Courses, mud baths, sand baths, they did just fine.

They're accurate enough, very reliable, shoot smooth, have had most accessories one would want from the time of product release, and are inexpensive. Not sure what more one would be looking for, aside from different strokes for different folks. And of course there are lots of good quality options out there.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By homeyclaus:

Funny, I post there a lot, and haven't read a lot bad about them at all aside from the looks and slide being slippery when wet. Yes, they're doused in oil when shipped from Italy. Pull the frame insert, clean off shipping oil, strip slide, clean out shipping oil there, and all the "gritty trigger" and other bs go away.

I run a full size for competition and have a "stupid" compact for EDC. Courses, mud baths, sand baths, they did just fine.

They're accurate enough, very reliable, shoot smooth, have had most accessories one would want from the time of product release, and are inexpensive. Not sure what more one would be looking for, aside from different strokes for different folks. And of course there are lots of good quality options out there.
View Quote

Yeah, I got a Centurion for $300.  It's something special.  Great gun.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:51:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ahnglw] [#23]
Originally Posted By medicman5000:

HOLOSUN 3MOA SHAKE AWAKE RED DOT PISTOL SIGHT - HS407A3 @ Palmetto State Armory. $200.00, sometimes cheaper when they go on sale (I think I bought mine @ $169.99)! Awesome budget option!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/holosun-3moa-shake-awake-red-dot-pistol-sight-hs407a.html

https://i.imgur.com/NXHMjdt.jpg
View Quote

The shake awake feature interests me. I’ll do some research, thanks.

ETA-ordered the holosun today. I’ll update when I get it mounted.

ETA 2 Damn! This pistol came with 3 back straps, 4 optic mounting plates and 3 15rd magazines. All for $340.

Finally got around to mounting the Holosun. I’ve been struggling to get the factory mounting plate off and finally bought a sight pusher to see if it would push off the plate and it worked. It was a breeze to zero it in too. This is my first pistol with an optic and it’s a dream come true for aging eyes.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By ahnglw:

The shake awake feature interests me. I’ll do some research, thanks.

ETA-ordered the holosun today. I’ll update when I get it mounted.

ETA 2 Damn! This pistol came with 3 back straps, 4 optic mounting plates and 3 15rd magazines. All for $340.

Finally got around to mounting the Holosun. I’ve been struggling to get the factory mounting plate off and finally bought a sight pusher to see if it would push off the plate and it worked. It was a breeze to zero it in too. This is my first pistol with an optic and it’s a dream come true for aging eyes.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/206146/014175B9-64D9-4240-8333-12B21AC42277_jpe-1643468.JPG

View Quote

Bump for pic.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Picked one up several months ago, trigger is heavier than Glock, but mine didn't have any grit, just heavy.

Well built little pistol.  Shoots good too, didn't have any of the problems with it you listed.

About to buy another one in the Tan if I can find it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 4:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:
Picked one up several months ago, trigger is heavier than Glock, but mine didn't have any grit, just heavy.

Well built little pistol.  Shoots good too, didn't have any of the problems with it you listed.

About to buy another one in the Tan if I can find it.
View Quote

Check KYGUNCO.com they had them a few months ago when I bought mine.
@CA_TX-Cop
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Out of stock.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#28]
PSA is/was selling the base model with one mag/medium backstrap $299
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 11:34:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Also out of stock, and not the tan.  I have a regular one already, just want to try and add a tan one before they become unobtanium, but I might be too late.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 1:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By medicman5000:

https://i.imgur.com/NXHMjdt.jpg
View Quote

What trigger is that with the red? I've been wanting to customize my trigger like that but I don't know what would work
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top