Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 11:49:06 AM EDT
I have a Mk9 and it has been a very reliable gun to shoot. I have about 2500 rounds through it. On recent inspection I noticed a hair line crack between the barrel shroud and where the recoil spring goes. The gun has never jammed or misfired once. Is there any one else out there that has this problem?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the crack on both sides? Post a pic if you got one. Makes me feel great about my MK9...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#2]
OK here are the pictures. I did the best I can do but you can clearly see the crack. It is on the recoil spring side and went through the barrel side of the slide. From the research that I have done. I found that this has happened to others that have the MK9. Most have gotten rid of the gun after Kahr repaired it for the second time. This MK9 was manufactured in 2002 but purchased in 2005 so it is still covered under warranty. I am sending it back today to Kahr FedEx next day. Just a note to you guys this gun has never been modified in any way. Still has the iron sights and no after market parts. Never been fired with +P rounds. Only 185 gn FMJ and hollow point.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj108/jetsbabyaz/Vest001.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj108/jetsbabyaz/Vest002.jpg
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 2:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Is it only happening to MK9? Wondering if the root cause has been identified. It is because there is less flex in steel framed guns during recoil, etc.?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Could be? The metal in this area is very thin.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...Never been fired with +P rounds. Only 185 gn FMJ and hollow point...

For a 9mm, that might be your problem
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't have choice. That what my PD issues
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Might want to check the bullet weight again. It's probably more like 124gr.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:26:18 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Might want to check the bullet weight again. It's probably more like 124gr.  OOPS your right. I was thinking 45ACP. My bad. 124gr it is.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:11:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Man that sucks. I don't have how thin that area is in my brain but I would figure it to be 1/8" or better. Glad Kahr is fixing it for you. Is this your back up gun or what? I'd be interested to know how you conceal it as mine will be my CCW when I get my license soon. Its too heavy for an ankle holster or pocket carry IMO.

Does Kahr replace the slide or weld it? Hopefully replace...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the good new is, no one else has posted saying they've seen it.
I'm sure kahr will take care of you and replace the slide, it not a serial #'d part so that's not a problem.

Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
Ask them for a free mag for your troubles. It never hurts to ask.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:17:34 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
Man that sucks. I don't have how thin that area is in my brain but I would figure it to be 1/8" or better. Glad Kahr is fixing it for you. Is this your back up gun or what? I'd be interested to know how you conceal it as mine will be my CCW when I get my license soon. Its too heavy for an ankle holster or pocket carry IMO.

Does Kahr replace the slide or weld it? Hopefully replace...

It is my primary gun as a UC Det. I usually use a pocket holster from De Saints. The weight does not bother me. I also use and love Thunder Wear. It is very comfortable and I am able to carry an extra mag with it. In my opinion it is the ultimate in concealment. With a small gun like the MK9 you would never know I am packing unless you did a "pat down" on me. It does take some practice to get a quick draw with it.

I am hoping that Kahr replaces the whole slide. I will let you guys know what the out come is. It got there today FedEx next day. (Which was not cheap).  A free mag would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats good to hear someone has that kind of faith in there Kahr. Compared to my G23 I am not as trustworthy but I was glad to see that my MK fed a full clip of Federal Tactical HP's without a hitch. I keep that in the gun for home defense and will for CCW when I complete my CHL. I had a spent round jam the gun keeping me from drawing the slide back and ejecting/chambering the next. Kind of paranoid. Range reloads however. The only time I like the guns weight (for its size) is when I am shooting it. I would like to try a PM9 for comparison but can't imagine it being anything but brutal. Call me a puss. I would carry IWB and will get a tuckable holster. Something with the retention clips away from the center of the holster to reduce profile.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 2:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Keep us up dated. My MK9 sees about 85-90% carry time.Now I have to go check it.
Mines cracked also. Im sure I've benn shooting it this way for some time.I guess I'll have to call Kahr.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#14]
OH BOY!!! Looks like I am opening a can of worms for Kahr.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Better than a can of whoopass. :)
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#16]
What is the round count and serial range on your cracked Kahrs?

I will give mine a check later and report back what I see.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#17]
height=8
Quoted:
What is the round count and serial range on your cracked Kahrs?

I will give mine a check later and report back what I see.

I have about 2500 rounds in the gun. Don't have the serial # since its at Kahr for repair. It was manufactured in 2002 if that helps.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 12:48:06 PM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
I have a Mk9 and it has been a very reliable gun to shoot. I have about 2500 rounds through it. On recent inspection I noticed a hair line crack between the barrel shroud and where the recoil spring goes. The gun has never jammed or misfired once. Is there any one else out there that has this problem?

This post may interest you:

glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10938139&postcount=4
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like we have three or four people with this problem from this forum and the other. I wounder how many more are out there that don't even know its cracked?
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 3:30:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I didn't get the right responce from Kahr.It seems to be a problem they should take care of as its a defect.How many people do we need for them to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#21]
height=8
Quoted:
I didn't get the right responce from Kahr.It seems to be a problem they should take care of as its a defect.How many people do we need for them to do the right thing.

It has to be known to Kahr that this problem exists since it sounds like a lot of people have sent the gun in for repair for the same problem. Its Kahr's problem that the gun was not designed in the proper way and should fix it not matter what! I am personally going to trade my gun in at my gun store when I get it back and get a new Glock 30.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 7:47:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I am going to call them again and see if I can get it fixed for free, maybe just pay shipping. I would have a hard time getting rid of the MK9, the size very easy to conceal, reliablety and I like the all steel gun ,quick on follow up shots. What else could I replace it with. I have a Glock 19 and looked at the 26, comes down to the size...I'll let you know how I do with Kahr.
Link Posted: 7/28/2008 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#23]
This really puts a bad taste in my mouth. If Kahr was going to do the right thing they would just repair it. It is a manufacturer defect not a user neglect problem or misuse issue. I bought the MK9 over the Glock 26 because it was smaller even though it weighted more I liked that because of the not so noticeable weight change as with the Glock as you begin to empty rounds. Easier to stay on target. When I receive my MK9 back from Kahr I am trading it in for a new Glock 30. Even though its bigger and heaver I just don't trust my life with my MK9 any more. All the Glock guys are laughing at me and saying "See I told you should of bought a Glock." Even if I do keep the Kahr and it cracks again why do I want the hassle of sending it back for repair. I will look at the slide again if there has been no engineering change, then its diffidently gone. I really loved that gun to. Its a shame.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 1:25:38 AM EDT
[#24]
I agree with you. Kahr should stand bhind thier product. To think I was going to buy thier 380 thats coming out.

7-29-08    3:50pm
Just got off the phone with kahr and they will not stand behind thier product,and the slide has to be factory fitted which is BS. I have not decided what I'm going to do with it yet but they just lost a customer.Damn I'm pissed!!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 10:39:59 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife's cracked just like that. Except the crack went all the way to the front of the slide. Our serial numbers are 1 apart from each others. They were bought new 1 year ago.

It was during the 400rnd break in and noticed it during the cleaning afterwords. We contacted Kahr sent them the slide and they sent us a new one. Have not had an issue since.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 12:59:14 AM EDT
[#26]
On thier web site they say the slide has to be factory fitted. they just shipped you a new one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 6:31:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep. UPS, 7days for the back and forth.

Hand fitting? maybe for their QC concerns, certainly not for function.

Of course this was exactly 1yr ago, can't imagine anything changing.

ETA: pic

Link Posted: 7/31/2008 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm 2nd owner and it was made in 98 so the warrenty exspired. They won't stand behind thier product. Obviously there's a problem from the factory.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws. They test fired the gun and returned it very dirty. ht
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws......... I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product.

Huh? After replacing all that AND getting it back to you in ELEVEN FREAKIN DAYS you're going to claim that Kahr doesn't stand behind their product?

Wow.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:05:41 PM EDT
[#31]
I liked my mk9 so much i even got a pm9 and was looking at the 380 coming out.Not now , they lost a customer and the kahrs are going. I just do not do business like that.
They were not even willing to work with me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:17:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm 2nd owner and it was made in 98 so the warrenty exspired. They won't stand behind thier product. Obviously there's a problem from the factory.

If you bought a used car would you have the same complaint?

While I truly appreciate "unlimited lifetime warranties" on products such as guns, I think it is well within their rights to deny you FREE repair on a warranty that NEVER applied to you in the first place.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#33]
I would not excpect them to fix it  for free if I broke it. that crack was proably there before I got it. I would have not noticed it if some one did'nt have the same problem, And theres more than a couple.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws. They test fired the gun and returned it very dirty. Right after I got it I headed off to the gun store to trade it in for a new Glock 30. I am done with Kahr forever, will never buy another product made by them. My main reason I got rid of it was because upon examination of the new slide it looks exactly the same as the old one in the problem area that cracked. It is a chance that it would crack again. Also after reading DogRanger's post that they would not help him with the same problem. I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product.

It sounds like it is not too common for them to break. They replaced your broken slide in a timely manner. I don't see where they've dropped the ball at Kahr?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#35]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws. They test fired the gun and returned it very dirty. ht

It sounds like it is not too common for them to break. They replaced your broken slide in a timely manner. I don't see where they've dropped the ball at Kahr?

They dropped the ball by. 1) Knowing that the slide is defective for several years and not reengineering the slide that it won't crack. 2) They know there is a defect and not telling Kahr owners about it. To me that puts lives in jeopardy if you are using for self defense and not target shooting. 3) Replacing the slide is not my beef with Kahr. They know that it cracks and they still have put the same engineered slide out on the market for years. To me that is a poor company that really does not give a crap about there product.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#36]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws......... I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product. Huh?

Wow.

Big deal they replaced the slide. They repalced it with a slide that will crack again. That is why I got rid of it. Bottom line is that I just don't trust the gun.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws. They test fired the gun and returned it very dirty. Right after I got it I headed off to the gun store to trade it in for a new Glock 30. I am done with Kahr forever, will never buy another product made by them. My main reason I got rid of it was because upon examination of the new slide it looks exactly the same as the old one in the problem area that cracked. It is a chance that it would crack again. Also after reading DogRanger's post that they would not help him with the same problem. I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product.

They dropped the ball by. 1) Knowing that the slide is defective for several years and not reengineering the slide that it won't crack. 2) They know there is a defect and not telling Kahr owners about it. To me that puts lives in jeopardy if you are using for self defense and not target shooting. 3) Replacing the slide is not my beef with Kahr. They know that it cracks and they still have put the same engineered slide out on the market for years. To me that is a poor company that really does not give a crap about there product.

+1
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws......... I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product.

Huh? After replacing all that AND getting it back to you in ELEVEN FREAKIN DAYS you're going to claim that Kahr doesn't stand behind their product?

Wow.

Big deal they replaced the slide. They repalced it with a slide that will crack again. That is why I got rid of it. Bottom line is that I just don't trust the gun.  

big deal!! You don't know that this slide will crack.  somethings cracked alright
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 11:49:10 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I liked my mk9 so much i even got a pm9 and was looking at the 380 coming out.Not now , they lost a customer and the kahrs are going. I just do not do business like that.
They were not even willing to work with me.

obviously your unhappy and nothing is going to change your mind,  best thing for you and Kahr is to just move on to another product. When you loose faith in something best to move on, be it a gun, car, refrig or whatever.

Good luck with what ever you choose to go with.

You might look at the G22 glocks. I read where the Indiana state polcie bought over 400 of them and sent them all back with issues,  They are now carrying the G17. Should be some great deals on use G22 out there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Thats what I'm doing. I have to figure out what to do with the mk an sell the pm9.
I've already looked into another carry as i already had/have other guns but not on the same size scale as the kahr. On a side note , I use to rave about the mk. Had it set up with pearce pinky thing and front and back strap skate board tape with a little under the trigger.I like it so much I got the pm9. Obviously theres a slide issue, just do the right thing. You got to stand for something.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:38:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I've read this post with some interest, as I've just had my slide on my MK9 replaced by Kahr, but not for being cracked. My MK9 is one of the versions made with the carbon steel slide. A previous owner (I bought it as  factory refurbished used example) allowed severe pitting due to rust on the slide. At my request and expence I had Kahr replace the slide with a stainless steel one. I just received it back today. Anyway, How long has the MK9 been having the problem of cracked slides? And to those of you who have had this problem, at what round count did the cracks appear?

Thanks for your time, Jim  
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I could not tell you when it cracked. It could have been cracked before I got it. I would have never looked if jetsbaby didn't post his cracked slide, by the way thank you jetsbaby.Its the responce from kahr that was just wrong.So I'm done with them, anyone intrested in my mk and pm9 you could pm me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:22:29 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Well I got my MK9 back today. Kahr replaced the slide, extractor and grip screws......... I do not want to support a company that does not stand behind there product. Huh?

Wow.

Big deal they replaced the slide. They replaced it with a slide that will crack again. That is why I got rid of it. Bottom line is that I just don't trust the gun.  

big deal!! You don't know that this slide will crack.  somethings cracked alrighth
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:
I could not tell you when it cracked. It could have been cracked before I got it. I would have never looked if jetsbaby didn't post his cracked slide, by the way thank you jetsbaby.Its the responce from kahr that was just wrong.So I'm done with them, anyone intrested in my mk and pm9 you could pm me.

Your welcome.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top