Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 2:23:09 PM EDT
I just went to the range today and they have a Kahr K9 for rent, so I grabbed it. I thought it pointed very well, the grip was angled just right and the whole gun was very thin, like a 1911. The trigger was a fairly light double action that was very smooth. The slide was a bit tough to lock all the way back, but after doing it a few times I got used to it.

The recoil was fairly sharp, and I had some issue with trigger slap, but otherwise the gun was not unpleasant to shoot. I don't know how the P9 or PM9 stack up, but it seemed to me that the all-steel K9 was plenty light for CCW. Any lighter and the recoil would start to be prohibitivly strong.

As for accuracy, I had decent hits, all hitting CoM at ~7 yards. I have never been able to get the hang of accurate shooting with small guns, but out of all the ones I have tried I have had the best luck with the kahr.

I might end up getting one in the future for summer CCW.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:02:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Was it reliable?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Was it reliable?

I have 800+ rounds of mostly 124gr +P through my stainless K9
without missing a beat .  It took around 500 rounds to smooth
out , but now it's pretty damn sweet for a heavy springed DAO .

Accuracy is more then acceptable out to 25 yds even with me behind the
trigger .
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:02:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was it reliable?

Out of 100 rounds I had 3 stovepipes. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it reliable?

Out of 100 rounds I had 3 stovepipes. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in quite a while though.

Give it a good cleaning and reshoot it and report back on what happens! Have fun!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:08:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it reliable?

Give it a good cleaning and reshoot it and report back on what happens! Have fun!

it was a rental.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Was it reliable?

it was a rental.

Oh yeah, duh!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought a PM9 and fired 300+ rounds the first range session. Several function issues during the first 50-100 rounds.  Got better as the rounds added up.  As I approached 300-ish rounds function issues went away.

As for the shooting impressions.  I fired about 200 rds of 124 gr fmj and then about 100 rds of 115 gr GoldDot.  The best description is snappy recoil.  Not really bad, but not comfortable either.  I had a titanium S&W 342 in the past.  When shooting +p .38 ammo, it was NOT comfortable, in fact it was painful.  The PM9 with standard 9mm I've fired thus far was not that bad, but I wouldn't want to shoot a couple hundred rounds every week or two, but I expect to shoot maybe 50 rounds every couple weeks to further break-in and get used to the feel.

Trigger pull is long, smooth and what a Glock trigger should be, IMO.  Accuracy was so-so.   When shooting @ 15 yards standing, I could place all rounds on a 8" paper plate if I took my time.  However, I wouldn't expect to engage a target at 15yards with this gun unless I absolutely had to.  I forsee this as a very close in weapon.  In that regard, I think it will excel.

Having also owned baby-Glocks, this gun is MUCH more concealable.  Thinner and smaller in every direction.  I always wanted the Glock 26/27 to be my goto CCW gun, but it was sooooo chunky....the PM9 is perfectly sized for this role......IWB, ankle carry, etc..

Anyway, my impresions.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Trigger pull is long, smooth and what a Glock trigger should be, IMO.  

If the PM9 trigger is anything like the K9 trigger I tried, I agree 1000%. It's a fairly light, but very smooth double action trigger. Like 6 lbs I guess.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#9]
My RA reports 400 rounds trouble free through a K40.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the PM9 trigger is anything like the K9 trigger I tried, I agree 1000%. It's a fairly light, but very smooth double action trigger. Like 6 lbs I guess.

Yup, the same thing.  The first time I dry fired it I thought I wish my Glock trigger was like this!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:10:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have on eof the first run K9's (BLUE steel!) and have well over 2500 rounds through it- never a hiccup. I've used ball, Gold Dots, Black talons, CCI HP- it feeds every one flawlessly.

I now have an MK9 that has a tad over 300 rounds through it. Handles and acts the same as it's bigger brother, but gets carried more often.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, the same thing.  The first time I dry fired it I thought I wish my Glock trigger was like this!

The toy-gun feeling trigger pull of Glocks is what keeps me from getting one.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top