Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:05:19 AM EDT
I remember a topic a couple of months ago on this but can't find it  using the search function.  I am also having the same problem and am not getting much in the way of help from Kahr.  Basically they say that not all ammo will work in all guns and to use a different ammo.  

Well I have two cases that I ordered before reading the previous topic, so that isn't exactly what I had hoped to hear.  Of course this response is from Ms Herold, who has been a little relunctant to be real helpful in the past.

Does anyone remember the previous topic and how that was resolved?

Steve
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:11:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear people have really great results polishing the feed ramp when they can't get a certain round to load reliably.

Remember to polish so the "grain" in the same direction the bullet travels up the ramp.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw one of your responses on the ammo page about the remington golden saber and then I found this post. Sounds like you have had a heck of a time with getting this round to feed in two different Kahr K9s. I have had a PM9 for about a year now and I have two suggestions. 1. I sent my gun to kahr for a manufacturing defect and when it came back they had polished the feedramp. I have had no problems due to the funky offset feed ramp since. A friend of mine has the K9 elite and it feeds everything we throw at it. It also has a polished feed ramp.  2. My PM9 is really prone to feeding difficulties if not held firmly. I didn't realize this until I was shooting with a friend and bragging about how reliable my kahr was and then I watched it misfeed for him twice in 7 rounds. He was essentially holding it with a weak grip and letting the recoil snap his wrists back with very little resistance. No surprise, once I realized what he was doing. Doubt #2 applies in your case but thought I would throw it in. Is the 124gr +p or standard pressure? Just curious.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions.  I will try polishing the feed ramps to see if that helps the problem.  

I also have a MK9 elite and did not have any problems with it, even using the same magazines from the K9's.  As far as limp wristing I usally don't have that problem and did not have a problem when using 9mm hardball.  

My better half  (Sargent with local LEO) also had the same FTF with one of the K9's (her offduty weapon).  

Basically I was trying to go to the 124 grain hollow points instead of the 115 gr that we had been using.    Unfortunately I bought 1000 rounds before I tried the heavier rounds in the Kahrs.  Her duty ammo was Federal +P+ and the department switched to Remington Golden Sabers due to the state bid contract.

I guess I will use the 124 gr in the MK9 and the Glocks and will have to buy a  different carry ammo for the K9's.

I think that the problem may be related to length of the 124 gr ammo as it is slightly longer than the 115 gr.  It seems to hang up before the round even gets to the feed ramp.

The funny thing is,  it was always the second round in the magazine that FTF.  Even when I had a round in battery and inserted a full mag.  It was the second round out of the mag that FTF.  If I insert a full mag and chamber a round by hand it was the next round that FTF.

Something funny is happening.

Steve

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Hello Steve,

Have you tried different magazines? Sounds like this problem could also be magazine related...

Just an idea...
Don.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Don,

thanks for the input, but I tried 6 different magazines.  They all worked fine in the MK9 but consistently FTF on the second round in both of the K9s.  

They all work fine with hardball ammo in the K9 and I never had a problem with federal 115 gr +p+.  I think it is something about the K9 that does not like 124 gr Golden Sabers

Steve
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:43:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Too bad, I was looking forward to trying some 124's, GS and/or GD,  in my recently acquired K9.

(So far no problems with 115 S&B, 115 American Eagle, and 115 Federal 9BP.)
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top