Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Kahr
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2012 5:23:11 AM EDT
Hi y'all I'm looking into getting my first kahr. Between the two which one is more reliable? Is there a big size difference? I carry .40 for work and have a good bit of confidence in it. Just looking for opinions here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the PM9
Link Posted: 1/18/2012 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
The PM is a little out of my price range. Just between the two I have listed please
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get the CM9. I don't think the 40 has been released yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 3:58:22 AM EDT
[#4]
The CM40 has made its appearance at the SHOT show...
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the 9 in a handgun this small.  The recoil in the larger calibers becomes annoying to me when practicing and putting a large number of rounds downrange.  That means I practice less, and that's not something I want in a personal defense firearm.

I do not think there is any size difference or reliability difference between the two, though, so your choice will obviously be made on your own criteria.
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're going to give up a capacity for a higher-power round, skip the little Kahrs completely and go for a S&W J-frame in .357
Link Posted: 1/21/2012 1:10:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd try them both if I could.  While I don't have experience with the CM series, I had a PM9 and PM40.  They were both completely reliable.  While I was concerned about the felt recoil in a gun the size of the PM40, I found that it was not much more than the PM9.  I ended up keeping the PM40 and selling the PM9.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hi y'all I'm looking into getting my first kahr. Between the two which one is more reliable? Is there a big size difference? I carry .40 for work and have a good bit of confidence in it. Just looking for opinions here.

As far as reliability, it's impossible to say yet, they were just released last week, but it's just a mostly cosmetic rework of the PM40.  When they released the CM9 last year there were very few "teething issues", because they had been worked out in the PM9.  

As far as size, you're looking at 5 HUNDREDTHS of an inch longer and 4 HUNDREDTHS of an inch wider for the 40.  Probably most holsters except the most tightly fitted will still work.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 3:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
If  the CM40 was just announced, I'd wait at least 6 months to let them work the bugs out.

I've had several Kahrs, all 9mm.
With quality ammo, the difference between the two calibers is negligible.
I've had my current CM9 about 6 months and love it.
No jams or issues in 300+ rounds.

I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in it, but it feeds Remington and Speer hp also.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, but I'm betting the 9mm will be easier to handle in such a small package.
Page Handguns » Kahr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top