Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 8:31:18 AM EDT
I will be adding a beavertail grip safety to my mil-spec, and so I am looking for others that have done the same thing. Right now I am torn between the S&A .020 safety, and the Springfield Armory beavertail. If you have a beavertail installed on your Mil-Spec (or GI) please share some photos. I am specifically interested in any gaps in the fit.

Thanks.
rasj
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't mention changing out your hammer as well. There's only one beavertail that allows the use of the spur hammer as far as I know. My apologies if you already knew this.

My .o2
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep, It's going to get a new hammer along with sear, trigger, disconnector etc. I'm up to speed on everything except the fit of the grip safety. Some folks say there will be a gap, others have said that if properly fit, there shouldn't be one. I would love to see some examples of some that have already been fit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm tagging this.  I have a Mil-spec that I want the beavertail on.  

Do you plan on doing an easy fit or are you going to cut the frame?  I may have JoJo's here in CT do the work so they can reparkerize everything to match.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:20:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I will be either be using having a gunsmith install the Smith & Alexander beavertail (part#SP GS Std. SS S70), or I will have Springfield Armory install one of their factory beavertails. To be honest, I haven't been able to find anywhere, a definite answer on whether the fame needs to be modified (other than minor fitting) for the S&A .220 radius safety. Apparently, the "Loaded" version of the pistol is machined for a Wilson style safety. IF that is true, then SA will have to modify the frame of the Mil-Spec to fit it. I will not be using a drop in safety though, as from what I have read/seen the drop-ins leave a huge gap that can "bite" your hand and it also looks like garbage.

I *did* find a pic of a mil-spec with a S&A .220 safety though (Finally ). I found it on this thread.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:04:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's an S&A. Old picture but you can see it better.

Newer picture.

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My own S and A grip safety fit on a Springfield G.I....   .220 frame tangs.

Link Posted: 7/23/2008 8:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Awesome! Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 1:52:42 PM EDT
[#8]
-
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Akginmaster -
Man, that pic of that SA with those classic vertical serrations
under those Bo Mars made me come outa a reclined position.
Looks like my Tripp built Series 70 except for the finish.
Is that parkerized? My Colts at the smith's now getting
a new C&S tac. hammer and trigger group put in and I was going to have him
put a mat re blue on that gun but if the color in your pic is real life
I may have my gun park'd.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here's an S&A. Old picture but you can see it better.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/1911A1take2001.jpg

Newer picture.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ginmaster/7-20111.jpg

Dude, that's the nicest 1911 I've seen in a while- exactly what I'd want. Really nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top