Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 9:56:21 AM EDT
I have been shooting for about 5 years now, and have several long guns. I think its about time for a pistol. I have gone to ranges and rented many different makes, models, and calibers.

Lately, I've been researching different companies, and have narrowed it down to Springfield and either the 1911 Mil-Spec or the XD 4 inch service model in .40s&w. I want to get a pistol that at first I can go to the range with and shoot for fun and practice, but then be able to carry concealed when I get the permit.

I'm really leaning towards the XD for ammo capacity and lack of an external safety. I havent handled an XD, but have handled the Mil-Spec. I shot pretty well with the 1911 and it fit comfortably in my hand, but again I'd like more then seven rounds.

Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 10:04:52 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO , the two most critical decisions in choosing a pistol are  - grip fit , and Trigger function.

Some people can shoot anything well , but most find they have preferences.

Both your choices have a similar grip angle ,which is good .

There is a BIG difference between a 1911 trigger and an XD.
(if you have shot some DA or striker fired pistols , you get the idea)

You really should at least dryfire an XD before you decide.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
A 1911 should be the first choice, hands down, IMO. Multiple reasons why, the best being easy to change what you don't like about the gun: sights, trigger, grips, hammer, etc. etc. etc.

A XD is just that: a XD. You're not changing shit on them, other than perhaps the sights.

The 1911 has been around for almost 100 years now; there's reasons for that, sir!    
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Ill have to say go with the XD. 7 rounds is never enough! Somethings I didn't like about 1911 is the slide release because its not as nearly accesible as an XDs, and the external safety. With an XD you just grip 'n go, with much more rounds at your ready! It has an 1911 style grip angle so its pretty comfortable, and the trigger is perfectly suitbale for carry
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The XD is the most comfortable pistol to handle (for me) of the two.  The extra rounds arent that big of a deal.  I think one .40 will stop someone just as well as one .45.  The XD is smaller, lighter, doesnt have to be babied, isnt as finicky as ANY 1911, and is a very precise shooting firearm.  The diggest downside to it for me is the trigger, which I had SA lighten the pull and reduce the takeup and overtravel.  Your gonna have to try them both before you decide.  I couldnt be happier with mine!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
also, another thing about  1911's Ive notice is reloading, it isnt so easy to slap in a single stack as it is to put in an XD's mag. sure with practice you will get good with a 1911 but along with the out of reach slide release, I'd have to say an XD is a faster gun IN MY OPINION ;)
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:52:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I love my Springfield 1911 mil-spec.  That would be my choice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top