Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 6:13:47 PM EDT
I finally made the leap and got a 1911-A1 GI Stainless a couple of weeks ago. I went and shot the gun a couple of days ago and I just not got around to cleaning it. This is he second time I cleaned it but this time the safety will not release. After close inspection the Plunger tube is loose on the end closet to the safety. I'm going to call Springfield tomorrow and talk to them about it.
The reason I posting this is because I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and how long will it take to get the pistol back once I send it off?

The more I think about it the more it worry's me because I had 3 jams out of 50 and I've noticed the slide is rubbing the frame on one side. I've always had Glocks where looks doesn't really matter, but on this one I expect a little more....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Plunger tube definetly should have been installed better.  Springfield tends to take care of any problems fairly quickly.  Turn around is around 3 weeks.  If it's your first 1911, get with someone that has expieriance with the weapon.  They can watch you/instruct you a little bit.  Make sure the rails are greased.  Proper grip is important, 1911's are less tolerant of limp wristing/bad hold.  The G.I. is the base model, shoot the hell out of it and learn the platform.  Then send it off to a smith or buy a new one with the parts you want on it.  My lightly massaged Mil-spec is reliable as a hammer, and accurate when I get off my butt and train like I mean it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:00:52 AM EDT
[#2]
i love my gi spec, shoots like a tank, i am going to get it re colored with that black teflon, and get a match barrel put in it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Their customer service and turn around is top notch.
I got my TRP (with a sticking safety) back in <2wks.

Sent serveral guns to them and never crossed the 3 wks turnaround.
Call them to get an RMA# and have them expecting it, and you should have it back in good time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I called today during lunch and got a woman that told me to send it to a dealer to get him to send it off, and write the problems with it on paper and put it in the case when I send it back.

I think I'll call back and try to get someone who maybe more helpful.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
No need to have the dealer send it off.  Tell them you need some warranty work, get the RMA#, and write out a detailed letter (just a few lines, no long story needed) as to what the problem(s) is.  The slide rub is more cosmetic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I think my plunger tube will eventually come loose too.  On my G.I. the thumb safety is very stiff causing the rear of the tube to kind of shift.  It has not locked up yet.  I'll call S/A and see if I get the same treatment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:45:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Today I took it out to the range one last time before I sent it of to get fixed. Last time I was having problems with it jamming. This time I took a box of UMC, brass CCI's, Winchesters, and a Chip Macormik mag. All three brands jammed on both mags that I had. The Winchester wasn't as bad but still jammed. I also noted that the empty brass had the side pushed in one the top. Is this me being a nob to the 1911 arena or is this something that I need to talk to SA with?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:38:12 AM EDT
[#8]
well, my springfield is a loaded 1911 and still has some FTF jams, I was told that I just need to shoot it more. I have had sprinfeild polish everything inside and it functions a little better but will still jam after it gets a little dirty inside.

so this 1911 is NOT my go to gun for life or death  but more like a show gun for the range.

there are some guns you show your friends, and there are some guns you show your enemies.

this is one I'll show to my friends.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#9]
My ultra compact would not feed Hydra Shocks when I got it. Also the safety was stiff.I did some polishing and de burring and made it work. It still will not always feed the last round of my semi-wadcuters but factory works, I have found that the short barreled guns are a bit fineky about ammo.I have a full sized parts gun that  I put together that will work with any good ammo
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the stainless mil-spec. 1911-A1 5".The only problem i have with it ,is getting the slide stop back in after i field strip it.Put a little scratch in it once.Just a PITA sometimes.Other then that if functions perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No need to have the dealer send it off.  Tell them you need some warranty work, get the RMA#, and write out a detailed letter (just a few lines, no long story needed) as to what the problem(s) is.  The slide rub is more cosmetic.

Actually, the dealer can call Springfield and have them issue a call tag against it (shipping) so it will not cost Lowco in shipping costs.  Shipping a 1911 is kind of exspensive overnighted.  Cost me 83 bucks to ship mine overnight to them from NC.  They will reimburse you for the shipping if it does come under warranty.  The upside to shipping it yourself is that you can sometimes use it to get "extras" done for a discount by having them use the shipping they would have reinburst to you for the work - like night sights instance.  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:52:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to call them tomorrow ans see what they can do. I'll keep everyone posted.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:26:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I called them today and told them my problems. The guy I talked to was great to deal with. He gave me a rma number and I gave him the address of the gun shop to send it to.

I'm going to send it off tomorrow and I'll let you guys know when I get it back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#14]
My friend had the same problem. He sent it into Springfield, and they fixed it. He didn't have to pay for anything. It works flawlessly now.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:37:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Got the pistol back yesterday and so far I'm impressed.
I looked at the work order that they sent back with it and they replaced the plunger tube, and spring, refitted the barrel, and refitted the slide. They even refinished the slide where I scratched it.

I'm going to take it to the range this weekend and see how it feeds now. I'll keep everyone updated
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I still haven't had time to get to the range and try the pistol out yet. I did get a call from Springfield Friday telling me that they are only going to reimburse me $50 for the $81 shipping bill.  It would have been nice if they had let me know that from the beginning....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#17]
$81 for shipping!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top