Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 1:32:36 PM EDT
Looking to put a 1911 on order soon, and I'm still deciding between the Mil-Spec and the WWII GI. Opinions?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like mil-spec has better sights, IIRC? The WW2 version has the original tiny rear blade instead of a newer 3-dot set up?

Either way, they're a great starter 1911 platform for a build-up.

What sort of price are you finding in your area on them?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]

What sort of price are you finding in your area on them?

There are no real gun shops in the area. I'm going to my usual FFL and gonna see what he can get. He treats me pretty fair in terms of price.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Correct me if I'm wrong.  The front sight on one of those is made into the slide; no dovetail.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Correct me if I'm wrong.  The front sight on one of those is made into the slide; no dovetail.

The GI model
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:26:17 PM EDT
[#5]
No, it's a tenon setup, kind of like a Glock sight.

Buy the one that has the slide serrations you like. Thats the only thing that can't be changed.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
No, it's a tenon setup, kind of like a Glock sight.

Buy the one that has the slide serrations you like. Thats the only thing that can't be changed.

Big +1.  

If you're not going to modify, the Mil-Spec has higher profile sights, a lowered and flared ejection port, and usually a slightly better quality barrel.  There are many other minor differences, but they
are for the most part cosmetic.  

Of course, nobody gets a 1911 and leaves it stock.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:18:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm one of the very rare that will not modify my 1911.  Why mess with something that already looks and shoots good?  I love my GI .45!  Just pick which color you want, black, green, or silver.  I like the low sights.  I know they will never snag on anything.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch gunbroker and buy what you want and send them a copy fo the dealers FFL. You can save serious money.

I won a new Milspec on auction for $399. I was the only one to bid on it. It still had factory grease, and came in the box with all paperwork.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top