Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 6:23:18 PM EDT
alright, i'm new to pistols in general and brand SPANKIN' new to 1911's, so be easy on me guys as i'm sure this is a dumb question.....o.k. here goes-i've got a springfield armory mil-spec stainless.  is there any kind of convesion to change that to a .40 or a 9mm?  o.k. now that i have you laughing over my unmistakable ignorance-here comes the kicker...is there any way to take that pistol from a 5" to around a 4".  once you stop laughing and get up off of the floor-please respond.  i'd like to have at least one response saying that i'm a dumbass.  thanks.

jake
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i'd like to have at least one response saying that i'm a dumbass.  thanks.

jake

OK. You're a dumbass

For going from 5" to 4", you'd need to purchase an entire top end: complete Commander-size slide and barrel.

1911 sizes:
Government: full size, 5" barrel
Commander: Semi compact; same frame size as the Government, but with a 4.25" barrel
Officer: smaller frame (shorter grip - loses one round in mag capacity), 3" barrel

There's no way to convert the .45 1911 into a .40, 10mm, or 9mm without getting a whole new top end.

The breechface of the slide is milled to accept and support the .45 case head diameter. Going smaller would mean that you would need to add material to the breechface, kinda squirrely IMO....

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:41:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to ad a little to the excellent reply above, you not only would have to switch top end on a caliber conversion, but also the ejector in the frame.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I see you have the need to find an excuse to buy more 1911's.  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I see you have the need to find an excuse to buy more 1911's.  Congratulations!

+1 Yup...pony up and just buy another gun...welcome to the addiction!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want a smaller and lighter carry gun?
Don't over look the Springfield xd 3 or 4 inch
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
hey not a dumb question since your new to handguns in general........

this is very easy you simply need to buy a 9mm pistol

a .40 s&w pistol, a commander sized 1911

the question you should be asking is

How many handguns am I going to end up with?

and the answer is    "we have no idea"
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
hey not a dumb question since your new to handguns in general........

this is very easy you simply need to buy a 9mm pistol

a .40 s&w pistol, a commander sized 1911

the question you should be asking is

How many handguns am I going to end up with?

and the answer is    "we have no idea"

BIG FAT DITTO +1

Go buy a Hi Power or CZ75B
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#8]
When you have to buy the third safe since you have over flowed the first two, and then the wife start to ask the question is how many is enough?  

The only responce needed is to just point over at here shoe collection taking up most of the closet, which will hold her at bay for at least a one more safes worth.

Simple put, just how deep are your pockets, and let that dictate how many is enough.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:45 AM EDT
[#9]
i'm sorry i haven't replied-i haven't been around a computer.  i thank you all for your answers.  they were thought out, thorough, and well written.  thanks guys.  now to talk to the wife........Oh Honey-we need to talk..............

jake
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:57:58 AM EDT
[#10]
NO!!! Bad idea don't talk to the wife trust me, just buy them then if she asks were they came from tell her you've had them. Give her a story like "oh ya my buddy so and so was holding them for me" or something to that effect. Just kidding.

A Springfield 1911would be a wise investment. Also look into the springfield XD40 then if you want a different calaber you could just buy the 9mm or .357 SIG barrel and swap it around to your hearts content. I have a .40 for carry and love it. Also look into a .22 auto pistol for practiceing the fundimentals ie. sighting, trigger control, failure drills, and just cheap plinking. the Walther P22 is nice I just picked one up myself.

Good luck, have fun, and stay safe.

Later, Dave

ETA. don't mind the spelling I just got off of a 12 hour shift and need to ZZZZZZZZ.......
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a wholoe new pistol. You could even go with another 1911.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Another problem solved with the magical "buy both" phenomena. Halle-fucking-luia.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#13]
break her in easy

for example just got 1000 rdsof 40 S&W from natchez for the XD my wife KNOWS I'm THINKING about buying*

* thats my 2nd thousand rounds

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top