Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2005 8:28:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Springfield 1911 and found that military ball ammo (230 grain FMJ) is your best bet.  A buddy gave me some (I believe) Taurus hollow points (really wide open cavity) that would always jam at the feed lips.  However, I bought some other hollow points that fed real well.  So its kind of a hit and miss.  I will stick with FMJ for now as that is what JMB meant for this beautiful pistol to eat up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2005 9:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a Springfield 1911 and found that military ball ammo (230 grain FMJ) is your best bet.  A buddy gave me some (I believe) Taurus hollow points (really wide open cavity) that would always jam at the feed lips.  However, I bought some other hollow points that fed real well.  So its kind of a hit and miss.  I will stick with FMJ for now as that is what JMB meant for this beautiful pistol to eat up.

+1

Also if ya do get it ya might wanna polish the feed ramp with a dremel just for shitts and giggles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 1:24:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Also if ya do get it ya might wanna polish the feed ramp with a dremel just for shitts and giggles.

Ya what they said.
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 8:34:57 AM EDT
[#4]
If these loaded models are similar to the Milspec WWII ones, then WWB 230gr FMJ (Q4170) is all I shoot.  Truncated case Win Clean totally sucks (misfeeds).  Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP works ok, but I have more confidence in the FMJ.

Besides, it's a .45.  FMJ should be all you need since .45 ACP is THE UBER ROUND!  
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#5]
whoops--doubletap!  I guess that's one way to boost a post count
Link Posted: 6/30/2005 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#6]
you shouldn't have any trouble out of the modern jhp designs that closely follow the profile of ball ammo.  I'm using Speer Gold Dots (230 gr) and have over 1000 rds of these thru my guns.  Whatever you decide on, just make sure you put a few hundred downrange to ensure total reliability, and remember the rule....
a 9mm may expand, but a .45 will NEVER shrink!

Link Posted: 6/30/2005 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My SA LW Champion shoots WWB FMJ, amd REM JHP very well. Not one FTF, FTE, or FTRB. over 100 Rnds.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Got a loaded OD model and a new Lightweight loaded model and both right out the box fired ball, Remington JHP, Winchester JHP, Taurus Copper JHP, and some DoubleTap JHP ( Gold Dot ) and have never FTF or FTE.  I also run Wilson or Mec mags only.  I think the mags are very important but as stated above, it should run fine with the mags it came with and if not send it back and have some free warranty work done.  I picked up the lightweight and threw the mag it came with in the junk box at home and took it to the range and shot up all my old HPs (about 500+ rounds) and then ran a box of Ranger T +p in it and it fired perfect with great accuracy and reliability.  I am starting to get a better respect for 1911s than I have had in the past (Kimber sucks).
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 11:24:51 AM EDT
[#9]
I have used Winchester White Box (230gr FMJ) and Speer Gold Dot (185gr & 230gr JHP) in my Springfields for years, never had a problem...

Add that to all of the "crap" ammo that I have been given over the years, never had a problem...

Your pistol should reliably feed/fire any modern ammo, if it doesn't, send it back to Springfield...they will take care of you.

- N20
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
My 1911 WW2 model eats thousands of rounds of Wolf.

Never a single problem.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My 1911 WW2 model eats thousands of rounds of Wolf.

Never a single problem.

My 1911 WW2 model eats the web of my hand.  And all the WWB I care to feed it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had a failure to feed with my mil-spec operator.
GDHP, Golden Saber, Hydrashok, WWB, crappy ass reloads.
Mostly it get's WWB, but I've fired a few hundred rounds of mixed hollow points with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 3:00:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got my Springfield GI Model back from Springfield.  I had to send it back due to a severe FTE problem.  Went to the range today and tried her out.  Burned through everything I put through it.  Not one failure to eject at all.  Didn't matter what I shot, Blazer, Wolf, PMC, all 230gr. ball.  And my reloads, 225gr cast bullet over  Unique.  Pistol ran like a champ.  I am very pleased with the work springfield did on my pistol to get it to work as Mr. Browning intended.  They only had it a week and got it back to me.  That's great service.  BTW, it was an extractor problem. Pistol couldn't make it through a clip without a FTE.  Sure is fixed now  Thank you Springfield!
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:46:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My loaded (parked) has had only one failure (FTE), and that was with a CCI shot shell.  It has functioned flawlessly with (all 230 grain):
WWB FMJ
American Eagle FMJ
Wolf FMJ (lots of it)
UMC FMJ
UMC JHP
Speer Gold Dots

I have been very impressed by it, with around 1000 rounds through it so far.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Your pistol should reliably feed/fire any modern ammo, if it doesn't, send it back to Springfield...they will take care of you.

- N20

Ditto...

` 45
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top