Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 12:48:15 PM EDT
I got my first 1911, a SA "loaded" used from a local.

Being an absolute dipshit when it comes to these, I did not know how to perform a complete safety and function check...until AFTER I bought it.  Turns out, this thing had problems.  I dont know if it was from the factory that way, or if the guy I got it from did a little "home" gunsmithing.

In any case... the gun would allow sear movement when pulling the trigger with the safety on... so much so that when I later dropped the safety, the hammer would fall to half-cock.  In addition, I felt the trigger pull was much heavier than other 1911's I have shot, and the safety did not engage/disengage with a firm "click"

I checked with a couple local smiths... and parts and labor were quoted around $200.  So, I called up SA... to see if there was a chance they might fix it under warranty..... and off to them it went.  Their lifetime warranty only covers the original purchaser..... but the lady on the phone said all I could do is send it in, they would examine it... and sometimes, for a safety related issue, they will just fix them even though the warranty did not apply to me.

Man, I got it back today after being without it for around 2 weeks.  They fixed the safety/sear issue, did a trigger job, and now my safety also has a firm click on and off.  All covered under the warranty... didnt cost me a dime.  Thats the kind of customer service that will be keeping me buying more Springfield products in the future.  Wow.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Good deal!
I aquired a Springfield 1911A1 that acted as you described. Since I have several 1911A1s, I swapped some parts around just to see if I could identify the problem. I took a hammer from a Sistema Modelo1927 and put it in the SA. The problem disappeared in the SA, but showed up in the Sistema. A new hammer later and all is well with my 1911s.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, I called up SA... to see if there was a chance they might fix it under warranty..... and off to them it went.  Their lifetime warranty only covers the original purchaser

Hmmm, I thought the SA warranty for any product is lifetime regardless of ownership. Is this for M1As only? Have to head over to their website....I sent one of my M1As in for a little tuneup, and original ownership wasn't brought up at all, just "send it in, we'll take care of it".

My M1A needed the gas cylinder lock to be retimed, and the barrel band was loose. Rather minor stuff. I had it back in my possession in 9 days, including the day I missed UPS to sign for it.

My second Springfield warranty issue went like this-I bought another M1A with a commercial trigger housing that was out of spec-it fitted in the receiver EXTREMELY tight.  Icalled them up and sent it in. They sent me back a TRW trigger. Yeah, SA customer serevice has done well by me
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:08:27 AM EDT
[#4]
they always have done well by me.
i cracked a stock on my M1A while elk hunting.
they fixed it for free.  brand new stock.  all i had to pay was to ship it in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top