Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2011 8:30:21 AM EDT
I posted this in 1911 but got nothing so I thought I'd try posting it here.  

I bought some chip McCormick 8 rd mags and I'm having the following problem:

1.Slide racked back
2.put in fully loaded mag
3. rack the slide or hit the slide release
4. the slide stops about a 1/2" short

If I shove the slide forward it shoots fine. I don't have this problem with the factory mags and I don't think a 1911 should have to have a forward assist.

So am I doing something wrong?

BTW it does the same thing with Novak mags. I borrowed some last night and had the same problem .
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Although not an expert.. others on here are. Might be that the CMC mag springs are new and stiff. Putting so much pressure on the top round that your slide wont move forward. I had similar issue with Tripp mags in my Champion operator. Keep them loaded and keep shooting them. Problem should correct.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Although not an expert.. others on here are. Might be that the CMC mag springs are new and stiff. Putting so much pressure on the top round that your slide wont move forward. I had similar issue with Tripp mags in my Champion operator. Keep them loaded and keep shooting them. Problem should correct.

Thanks for the tip.  I experimented with the mags today.  If I get real agressive with racking the slide it will chamber the round.  Hitting the slide release was a no go, it still stops short.  

I kept using the slide stop release and stripping off rounds once I got three rounds out of the mag hitting the slide release would work.  I think the mag springs are real stiff, but I'm also wondering if I don't have a weak main spring.  

The reason I'm starting to doubt the spring is if I lock the slde back, no mag in and pull the slide just enough for the slide catch to drop, then release the slide it will still stop short.  The gun is so wet with lube it will damn near slip out of my hand, so I'm guessing either spring or something may be binding.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:23:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes it seems as if you have to be real aggressive with the power stroke. Slide release will not work well with mine either. I only have about 600 through mine so I cant tell you if this problem corrects itself. I can tell you that the number of times my slide stopped short has decreased the more i shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:20:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought mine used  but just started using the McCormick mags.  I'll keep shooting it to see if it improves.  I doubt SA will do anything other than blame the mags.  I may buy a SA 8 round mags to see what happens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same gun and the same mags and don't have an issue.  What ammo are you using?

The reason I ask is I had issues with a certain brand of HP ammo.  I tired two other brands and had no issue, and no issue with ball ammo.
My solution was to not load up ammo A.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I kept using the slide stop release and stripping off rounds once I got three rounds out of the mag hitting the slide release would work.  I think the mag springs are real stiff, but I'm also wondering if I don't have a weak main spring.  

The reason I'm starting to doubt the spring is if I lock the slde back, no mag in and pull the slide just enough for the slide catch to drop, then release the slide it will still stop short.  The gun is so wet with lube it will damn slip out of my hand, so I'm guessing either spring or something may be binding.

I don't believe your mainspring is weak, I think you need a new recoil spring. The mainspring is what drives your hammer forward, not the slide.

I run McCormick mags in all of my 1911s with perfect results, FWIW. All but one of my 1911s are Springfields as well.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have the same gun and the same mags and don't have an issue.  What ammo are you using?

The reason I ask is I had issues with a certain brand of HP ammo.  I tired two other brands and had no issue, and no issue with ball ammo.
My solution was to not load up ammo A.

Ammo doesn't make a difference ball or HP, the result is the same.  I tried two different HP's with the same result, once the round is chambered the gun cycle perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reason I'm starting to doubt the spring is if I lock the slde back, no mag in and pull the slide just enough for the slide catch to drop, then release the slide it will still stop short.  The gun is so wet with lube it will damn slip out of my hand, so I'm guessing either spring or something may be binding.

I don't believe your mainspring is weak, I think you need a new recoil spring. The mainspring is what drives your hammer forward, not the slide.

I run McCormick mags in all of my 1911s with perfect results, FWIW. All but one of my 1911s are Springfields as well.

My .o2

I'm new to 1911's.  Thanks for cleaning that up for me.  I may call SA and see if they'll just send a new spring, I really don't won't to mess with sending it back.  I doubt there are that many rounds through it that the spring is worn out, unless the springs have a short life span say less than 5k rounds.  

Since you have several SA's how often have you had to replace the recoil springs?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Oops double tap.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .o2

I'm new to 1911's.  Thanks for cleaning that up for me.  I may call SA and see if they'll just send a new spring, I really don't won't to mess with sending it back.  I doubt there are that many rounds through it that the spring is worn out, unless the springs have a short life span say less than 5k rounds.  

Since you have several SA's how often have you had to replace the recoil springs?

Some manufacturers recommend replacing the recoil spring with as few as 1000rds through it. I'm not sure what Springfield's recommendation is but none of the ones I've looked at were 5000rds. Being used and of an unknown round count, I don't think you should expect Springfield to send you a new one. They may do it, but I don't feel it is there place. Just buy a couple from Midway or Brownells and call it a day.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:10:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Two factors determine a recoil slide spring change period on a 1911: type of ammo used & slide length. A short slide such as the Micro (3" bbl) will need a spring every 2,000rds or so. 5" Govt models usually go for 4-5,000rds before a spring really becomes an issue.

I always err on the side of caution & replace my springs early & I also bump them up by 2-3lbs over OEM rating as well. I don't shoot light target loads, therefor I don't need to worry about short stroking the slide with a light load, IOW.

Rather than bother Springfield, allow me to suggest getting a "calibration pack" from Wolff Gunsprings. This is a pack of several different rated springs & you can swap back & forth until you find one that fits your gun "just right". Or you could just get an OEM rated spring in the 16-17lb range & another one in the 20lb range & try both to see which works better?

Springs are somewhat inexpensive, usually around $10~ each.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two factors determine a recoil slide spring change period on a 1911: type of ammo used & slide length. A short slide such as the Micro (3" bbl) will need a spring every 2,000rds or so. 5" Govt models usually go for 4-5,000rds before a spring really becomes an issue.

I always err on the side of caution & replace my springs early & I also bump them up by 2-3lbs over OEM rating as well. I don't shoot light target loads, therefor I don't need to worry about short stroking the slide with a light load, IOW.

Rather than bother Springfield, allow me to suggest getting a "calibration pack" from Wolff Gunsprings. This is a pack of several different rated springs & you can swap back & forth until you find one that fits your gun "just right". Or you could just get an OEM rated spring in the 16-17lb range & another one in the 20lb range & try both to see which works better?

Springs are somewhat inexpensive, usually around $10~ each.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info.  I did some digging and I couldn't find an after market spring.  I'm guessing it's because the light wieght champion has a compound spring.  I ordered one from SA for....$35 ouch.  They were nice enough to throw in the a few of the retaining tools you need to hold the spring while re-assembling the gun, though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top