Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 5:03:28 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm new to wheel guns but have wanted one for a while.  I've got the new Ruger LCR on layaway at my usual shop and will replace my LCP with that as my pocket-gun/summer carry piece.....after I log in some range time with it.

For those of you who carry revolvers, do you take speed loaders or those Bianchi(sp?) speed strips as your reloads?  What are some ups and downs of the two of them?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I carry speed strips with my j frame. They are thin and fit in pockets but are not as fast as speed loaders. Speed loaders are faster buy are sort of odd to carry in a pocket. If i was you i would just buy both and see what you like best.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry two speed strips in my pocket. I like them because they are less bulky than a speedloader.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I carry speed strips with my j frame. They are thin and fit in pockets but are not as fast as speed loaders. Speed loaders are faster buy are sort of odd to carry in a pocket. If i was you i would just buy both and see what you like best.

CJ

Agreed

They're both inexpensive, get both, use what you like.  When I carry a revolver, I usually use speed strips, because they're flat.  Both types require practice to use well.  Practice.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Speed strips here. My speedloader is slow loading my M&P 340. I carry my speedstrip in a belt pouch sold at Dillons. Buy both and decide. IMO the speedloader is too bulky and cannot be indexed to the cylinder as fast as a speedstrip.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Speed strips, they're easier for me.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Speedloader fits perfectly knob-up in watch pocket of my jeans, two speed strips in back pocket.

I "got both."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:57:41 AM EDT
[#7]
both.  depends on situation.

Speed strips work great in most carry situations.  Even in the winter when you can toss a speedloader in a pocket or something.  Last thing you want is pocket lint getting caught under the speed loader when you need it.  Kind of hard to F-things up when you are working speed strips.

If it is a duty revolver, or something you can OC, you might just want to use the speed loaders in a speed loader holster.  Like the PD used to do.  

I have speed loaders for home defense if I am using a revolver for that purpose.    But speed strips unload plenty quick if you practice.  Get a few sets of snap caps and practice reloading to get back into battery and the first shot taken from the reloads.  Then start doing it without looking in the dark.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry two speed loaders when I carry my 649
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Speed strip.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who also carry speed strips, what do you carry your speed strips in, or do you just toss them in your pocket?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Speed strip.

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who also carry speed strips, what do you carry your speed strips in, or do you just toss them in your pocket?

Speed strip belt pouch from Dillons Precicion
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use, train with, and carry both.

Speedstrips are more compact (flat), and don't rattle the way speedloaders do.

Speedloaders are faster.

I carry these in pockets.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#12]
You'll want to try both, but I can tell you that the speedloader doesn't fit well on the LCR because of the wider grip.  You can only fit the tip of the bullet into the gun then let them fall in.  It works but you need to practice it.  Not sure if the CT grip is an improvement or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top