Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
Does anyone have one?  Are they worth the $$?  How are they to shoot?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just saw that in the latest Guns & Ammo issue. My first thoughts were something to the effect of "MUST....HAVE....NOW"

I really hope they are high quality. It's kinda hard to justify $650 + for a revolver that just looks good...
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm saving up the cash...hopefully I'll have the money to buy one in a couple weeks or so.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Got one when they first came out.Kinda pricy,but if you're into large frame, fixed sight combat revolvers,it's probably the best new gun available.Fast reloading with moonclips,proven .45 ACP stopping power,mine shoots POA with hardball.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JCotter628/SW22.jpg
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one and love it!  I've got a Tyler T grip on it, and it is very accurate, comfortable to shoot, and nice to carry.  I use a 625 for USPSA and ICORE, and so the Model 22 makes a nice carry companion.  I find that I carry it more often than my 325PD.  The extra barrel more than makes up for the weight.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:44:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys for the info.  I have decided to part with one of my Colt 70 series guns to make room in the safe.  I hope to get it home soon as it has to be special ordered.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Got one when they first came out.Kinda pricy,but if you're into large frame, fixed sight combat revolvers,it's probably the best new gun available.Fast reloading with moonclips,proven .45 ACP stopping power,mine shoots POA with hardball.
i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JCotter628/SW22.jpg

Damn that's nice. Glad the got rid of the hideous gold logo from the run of model 24's.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The only logo is on the grips,which I swapped for a set of 1950's magna grips.They're a little thicker than the stock grips,and fit me a lot better.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I love mine(I actually bought two). I had to remove .030 inches off the front sight even after the factory sent me a replacement that was already shorter.  Mine now shoots to POA.  I put old diamond magna grips on one and eagle heritage coke bottles on the other.  I like the model 22-4 better than the 21-4 due to the square butt and the look of the shorter cylinder.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:56:29 AM EDT
[#9]
That is the only "new style" S&W I might have to buy.  If I ignore the "zit" long enough do you think it will go away?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Picked mine up Friday.  Haven't ahd a chance to shoot it yet.  I will have to wait until mext weekend to guive a range report.  Now to find a holster and moon clip carriers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:07:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm seriously considering one of these. It would be my first centerfire revolver.

Am I correct that because it is .45 ACP, that moon clips must be used? I have no experience with them. Are tools required to insert or remove cases from them? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!

Bob
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Moon clips re needed for the extractor to function.  The gun will fire without the moon clips.  As for a tool there is no need to have one to load them but for unloading the tool makes it easier.  Brownells has the tool for like $13 I think.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#13]
You don't need to buy a tool to unload the moon clips.  I use a 10" long piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a tab on one end.  Some guys use a length of golf club shaft, so they have a comfy handle.  A dollar and a hacksaw will net you a "tool" to unload clips easily.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:45:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Kick ass!  But dude, learn to size your pics... would be nice to see more than just the trigger guard at one time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:07:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
You don't need to buy a tool to unload the moon clips.  I use a 10" long piece of 1/2" copper pipe with a tab on one end.  Some guys use a length of golf club shaft, so they have a comfy handle.  A dollar and a hacksaw will net you a "tool" to unload clips easily.

So, the tool is just to grab the case and pull it out of the recess? What does the tab part do?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

So, the tool is just to grab the case and pull it out of the recess? What does the tab part do?

Slide the tool over a round so that the tab extends below the base of the round.  Then, spin the tool, holding the moonclip.  The tab acts as a lever against the edge of the moon clip allowing you to pry out the round.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Slide the tool over a round so that the tab extends below the base of the round.  Then, spin the tool, holding the moonclip.  The tab acts as a lever against the edge of the moon clip allowing you to pry out the round.

Ah!  Understood.  

Thanks much.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#18]
i have looked at them and i got to ask why?
it's a lot of money and i would rather get any of their other 45ACP guns.

the 5" SS 625 with hi-vis sights would be the first choice.
scantium (sp)

but then i just can't get excited about blued steel guns.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i have looked at them and i got to ask why?
it's a lot of money and i would rather get any of their other 45ACP guns.

the 5" SS 625 with hi-vis sights would be the first choice.
scantium (sp)

but then i just can't get excited about blued steel guns.  

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, here are the attractions in no particular order:

1. I don't like the look of stainless steel guns. I like blued steel, not flat black (except on ARs) or green or tan.
2. I prefer the square butt to the rounded ones
3. I like the slender barrel without the full length under lug
4. For some reason a 4" barrel just looks "right" to me
5. Scandium sucks to shoot with (too light) and I intend to shoot this one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#20]
I just have a "thing" for old school blued S&W revolvers particularly the big N-Frames.  I consider them to be the epitome of the double action revolver.  Of course, I grew up reading about them from people like Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith while watching Dirty Harry Callahan vanquish the evil doers with his trusty Model 29.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:59:29 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the nostalgic look.  I can't get used to anything but a blued finish on any thing other than say an AR.  It fits my hand well.  It shoots where I point it (better range report later this week).  I like the simplicity and I already have a Yo-Bo Colt 1911.  Also the price I paid was not near as bad as I expected.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I like the nostalgic look.  I can't get used to anything but a blued finish on any thing other than say an AR.  It fits my hand well.  It shoots where I point it (better range report later this week).  I like the simplicity and I already have a Yo-Bo Colt 1911.  Also the price I paid was not near as bad as I expected.

If you don't knd me asking, how much WAS it?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I Work from time to time at a gun store.  Because of that I rarely pay full price for a new gun.  That being said I paid $760 out the door.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Price appears to depend on location and supply.  I paid about $680 for mine, and worth every penny.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 7:01:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I finally got to fire it.  It was awsome.  I had heard that these had a problem of shooting high.  I did not have that problem.  It shot POI with no problem. I put a total of 140 rounds down the pipe today.  As much as I hate to admit it being a Colt fan I think that my Anaconda will spend a lot more time in the safe than the new Smith.  I did have one unusual problem.  There was one instance where when I pulled the trigger the hammer would function but nothing happened.  I tried it in single action and the hammer would not stay in the cocked position.  The very next time I pulled the trigger the gun functioned again.  I have never seen or heard of  anything like this.  Does anybody have any idea as to what happened or whY?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top