Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:56:35 AM EDT
Hello.

I am looking for a revolver for occasional concealed carry mainly when backpacking, hiking, camping, staying at the family cabin, etc.  It would also be used for plinking at the range and afield.

Requirements:
38+P (357 OK but not required.  I would rather save the money if a similar revolver rated for 38+P was $100 or more less)
Blade Rear Sight - Absolute must - preferably adjustable.  I cannot stand frame groove rear sights
Ramp Front Sight
J or possibly K Frame Size, preferably with a 3 inch barrel
Exposed Hammer
Under $500
Stainless Steel frame is nice but not required

I handled a brand new Smith and Wesson Model 60 with 3" barrel and adjustable rear sights and it really seems like it will fit my needs (and my hands), but close examination revealed the following potential issues:

Cylinder slop at full lock:  Very tight at two consecutive positions, a small but noticable amount of slop at each position outside those two, and a slightly larger amount of slop at the fifth position.  Is this a concern?  Is there an acceptable amount of cylinder slop at full lock?

Ejector Rod:  If I didn't make a concerted effort to push STRAIGHT in on the rod, there was a little bit of binding.  I only really noticed this because it is not the norm for the other S&W revolvers I have fired (M66, M19, M14).  Is this something that is common as a result of a leftover burr from machining?  Will it disappear over time?  Should I look for a different pistol in the same model?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for handgun models to look at?  I want a quality handgun, would consider used in good mechanical condition, and don't want to spend over $500.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]
A modest amount of "cylinder slop" is not unusual on Smiths.  I've never been concerned about.  How much is to much is kind of subjective.  

The binding on the rod could be due to dirt, or being slightly loose, or some rough machining.  Chances are a good clean and lube would solve the problem.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Skip the gun if it has these problems. You can find another Smith that is perfect for the same $$.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Go to S&W Forums and put a Want to Buy ad on the Classifieds.

You'll find the perfect gun for you.

HH
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top