Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:20:42 PM EDT
Anybody have any thoughts about the Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary .44 mag.
I've been wanting a .44 mag anyway, and it doesn't matter that it is a single action.
And it is a classic.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#1]

The barrel is an inch too long for me but I will probably buy one just to have it anyway.

From what I have been following it will not be able to handle full power .44 magnum loads. According to another shooting board I follow, some people have already tried maximum .45 Colt rounds in the new model vaquero and dismantled the gun in their hands. The .44 has a little more metal in the cylinder so will do a little better than the .45, but not enough to matter with the super maximum loads available today.

As long as you keep the loads reasonable it should be fine. I’d treat it like an original Colt since that’s its size.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it will be a nice Revolver. With the 6.5" barrel, the smaller (XR3 shaped) steel gripframe, and the thin grips it should carry rather well. This Revolver is built on the New Model frame, it can easily handle any of the loads the SBH uses. If you have large hands recoil may be an issue as the XR3 shaped gripframe is on the smallish side and there is not much room between the frame and the trigger guard.
Strange I have always considered the S/A not only classic but also a plus.
ETA in 2005 the Vaquero was redesigned and changed to the mid size frame, it is the size used  for the 357 magnum until 1972. In 2005 the 44 Mag was dropped and it is intended to use standard ammunition in the 45 Colt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:00:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks great to me.

That is one fine .44 magnum

HH
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

From what I have been following it will not be able to handle full power .44 magnum loads. According to another shooting board I follow, some people have already tried maximum .45 Colt rounds in the new model vaquero and dismantled the gun in their hands. The .44 has a little more metal in the cylinder so will do a little better than the .45, but not enough to matter with the super maximum loads available today.

As long as you keep the loads reasonable it should be fine. I’d treat it like an original Colt since that’s its size.

Why do you say this? The Super Black Hawk is probibly the strongest .44 mag revolver ever made. Ruger made this gun to take full advantage of what the .44 mag has to offer(Full power loads and lots of them).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Why do you say this? The Super Black Hawk is probibly the strongest .44 mag revolver ever made. Ruger made this gun to take full advantage of what the .44 mag has to offer(Full power loads and lots of them).

Because the Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary .44 mag is not built on a "Super Blackhawk" frame.

It is built on the smaller "New Vaquero" frame.  Even though they are calling it a "New Model Blackhawk" it is NOT EVEN built on the same frame as the  "New Model Blackhawk."

So it is two sizes smaller than what you are thinking of.

The Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary is built on a new smaller frame and has a smaller cylinder with less metal around the cartridges. It's about the same size as a Colt Single Action Army, which most shooters wanted anyway.

The old "Vaquero" line which is based on the "New Model Blackhawk" size frame is being phased out. They were okay with most .44 mag loads, although you would not want to max out like you could with a "Super Blackhawk."

The "New Vaquero" frame is meant for lighter loads.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because the Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary .44 mag is not built on a "Super Blackhawk" frame.

It is built on the smaller "New Vaquero" frame.  Even though they are calling it a "New Model Blackhawk" it is NOT EVEN built on the same frame as the  "New Model Blackhawk."

So it is two sizes smaller than what you are thinking of.

The Ruger Blackhawk 50th anniversary is built on a new smaller frame and has a smaller cylinder with less metal around the cartridges. It's about the same size as a Colt Single Action Army, which most shooters wanted anyway.

The old "Vaquero" line which is based on the "New Model Blackhawk" size frame is being phased out. They were okay with most .44 mag loads, although you would not want to max out like you could with a "Super Blackhawk."

The "New Vaquero" frame is meant for lighter loads.

Damm! Looks like Ruger is pussing out! What do they save in production costs in the steel used? Maybe .50 cents worth? They should just keep their guns strong, that is what Ruger is known for. I bet there will be a few who will think thay have a "strong Black hawk" and end up shooting hot loads and blow up the gun.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Lets see if I can add to the confusion.  Ruger used three frame sizes in the 1950s. The single six, the 357 Blackhawk and the 44 Blackhawk. The Super Blackhawk introduced in 1959 used the 44 Blackhawk frame with changes to the top strap as to accomodate the new sight with protective ears, the 44 Blackhawk was the first large frame, the 44 Blackhawk was produced from 1956 until 1962.
In 1973 the mid size frame on the 357 was dropped. Since 1974 all New Model Blackhawks and New Model Super Blackhawks have used the same large frame with the exception of the 357 Maximum which was produced from 1982 thru 1984. (it was a large frame stretched in length)
The New Vaquero (not New Model) which was introduced in 2005 is on the mid size frame of the 50s and 60s as is the 50th anniversary 357 Blackhawk.
I would suspect the 50th Anniversary 44 Blackhawk will be on the frame of the original Flat Top 44 Blackhawk, as testing in the 1950s proved the mid size frame wouldn't work with the 44 mag. All prototypes failed. That is why the 44 Blackhawk frame (large) came to be.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lets see if I can add to the confusion.  Ruger used three frame sizes in the 1950s. The single six, the 357 Blackhawk and the 44 Blackhawk. The Super Blackhawk introduced in 1959 used the 44 Blackhawk frame with changes to the top strap as to accomodate the new sight with protective ears, the 44 Blackhawk was the first large frame, the 44 Blackhawk was produced from 1956 until 1962.
In 1973 the mid size frame on the 357 was dropped. Since 1974 all New Model Blackhawks and New Model Super Blackhawks have used the same large frame with the exception of the 357 Maximum which was produced from 1982 thru 1984. (it was a large frame stretched in length)
The New Vaquero (not New Model) which was introduced in 2005 is on the mid size frame of the 50s and 60s as is the 50th anniversary 357 Blackhawk.
I would suspect the 50th Anniversary 44 Blackhawk will be on the frame of the original Flat Top 44 Blackhawk, as testing in the 1950s proved the mid size frame wouldn't work with the 44 mag. All prototypes failed. That is why the 44 Blackhawk frame (large) came to be.

Ok, that is good to know that Ruger is still making the SBH with the large "strong frame". I have another question though: Why would Ruger produce the 50th annaversay Black Hawk with the medium frame if durring testing it failed to stand up to the .44 mag?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]

There is a theory floating around that Ruger has perfected the metals enough that the smaller frame can now handle the hotter caliber loads. But reloading manuals are already changing data and taking out the lines under hot loads that said okay for Rugers. I've also seen ammo boxes with the warning against using in the new Rugers. Then there are the 3rd hand reports floating around that some .45 Colt chambered NV Rugers have already bit the dust using hot loads.

The only safe route at this time is to turn to the reloading page for the Colt Single Action Army. The Ruger NV should do fine at those levels.

The confusing part of this whole mess is Ruger is calling this "New Vaquero" based Flattop a "New Model Blackhawk," which it is not. If someone blows one up saying they just followed reloading data for a "New Model Blackhawk," Ruger may find themselves on the losing side of a lawsuit. They should have  called it the "New Vaquero Flattop" although that might confuse some of the dressup quickdraw shooters.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:32:21 PM EDT
[#10]
When Ruger switched to the mid size frame for the Vaqueero they dropped the 44 Rem Mag. I must ask myself why would they then use the same frame for the 50th Anniversary 44 Blackhawk chambered for the 44 Rem Mag? One must remember the 44 Blackhawk was the first large frame Ruger, Ruger has never offered a 44 Rem Mag on the mid size frame to the public. Why Now?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#11]

My guess is because it’s a commemorative and will be available for one year only.

On the barrel it will have in gold lettering:

50 years of .44 magnum  
-----1956 to 2006 -----

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:19:57 PM EDT
[#12]
But it sounds likeRuger tried to offer the .44 in the smaller frames but they failed in testing. I wonder how the new smaller 50th anaversay framed .44 mag help up in testing? Must have passed or it would not be in production. I would hope Ruger would be smarter then to produce a .44 mag that is on the verge of kabooming!!!!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#13]
As mentioned earlier I would suspect the 50th Anv 44 BH will be based on the large frame, as was the original FT it commemorates.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As mentioned earlier I would suspect the 50th Anv 44 BH will be based on the large frame, as was the original FT it commemorates.

Oh, I thought the 50th Anv BH was a smaller frame.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I had assumed it would be built on the large frame however numerous folks have said it will be based on the mid size frame. I guess we will have to wait and see, but if I were a betting man I would still bet on the large frame.
My dealer (a close personal friend) has 1/2 dozen of these ordered, I asked him to measure the cyl dia. on the first one that comes in, if it is 1.7265 pick me a nice one, if less I won't be needing one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#16]
After a little more research and some more information from good sources I am comfortable with the fact the 50th anv 44 BH is based on the New Model BH/SBH series frame (large). IF I acquire on of these I will use the same load  I use in all my 44 Mags. Due to the XR3 shaped Gripframe I would expect recoil to be quite snappy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After a little more research and some more information from good sources I am comfortable with the fact the 50th anv 44 BH is based on the New Model BH/SBH series frame (large). IF I acquire on of these I will use the same load  I use in all my 44 Mags. Due to the XR3 shaped Gripframe I would expect recoil to be quite snappy.

That is good to know! So it should be able to take the hottest of loads!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:48:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Gentlmen, thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Let me ask a off the wall question... Is this even available yet? I have been to 2 gun stores and they do not carry it yet?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#20]

The first batch of them have just been sent to gunwriters. No word on when they will hit the shelves.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top