Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2005 10:03:00 AM EDT
I have always been a semi auto guy. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate nice wheelguns, but I prefer autos. My Dad is just the opposite, in that he has a large collection of S&W revolvers that he prefers to shoot and carry. I like to shoot his wheelguns, but I just neverfound one that I really loved.

Today I happened across a Smith 940 that has to be the coolest little wheelgun I have ever seen. I have seen the 9mm revolvers before but this was the first one I have ever actually held. I like the size of the gun and with the internal hammer and boot grips it would be very concealable. It also had a much better trigger than my Dad's J-frame 36 and 37. What really appeals to me is the fact that it's chambered in 9x19mm. Besides being a more powerful round than the .38spl, it would be nice to have a revolver that uses the same ammo as my autos.

If I get this gun, it will never replace my GLOCK 19, but it would be a very nice back up gun. I was planning to buy a Kahr MK9 in the near future as a BUG or a carry piece for my wife, but this little Smith almost has me reconsidering.

What do the 940s normally sell for?

With the steel frame, I am assuming they are +p rated??? I think that loaded with 124 grain +p or +p+ it would be closer to 2" .357 power level than .38spl.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 in 9mm. Same reasons - back up a G17&G19. Love the
S&W 940 but went with the ruger. Also my little, dainty, girly-girl wife has trouble racking the
slide on the G19  (or any auto for that matter) so the sp101 should be easier for her to operate.
At this point only Taurus makes 9mm wheel gun and I've heard THEY will drop the 905. What gives?? I see many talking about 9mm revolvers and the price of used ones ((except for the taurus guns)are going up. Me no capishe

BTW: Gun Broker has a NIB one for - get this..........................the amazing low price of $695

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
For some dumb reason all the nice s&w revolvers are on their way out........well.......are gone.  I was at the local gun store and saw a 686 5in that I absolutly LOVED.  But I bought a used beretta 92fs instead.  Want to know why?  The lock.  I couldn't get myself to drop $ on a otherwise beautiful piece of american gun, that has a sterling customer service department, because of a damn $10 piece of metal.  I tried, debated back and forth.  But I got the 9mm instead.  I still partially regret it, but at the same time, I feel stupid and happy.  Stupid because I didn't look around for a pre-lock s&w, but glad because I have been wanting a 92fs since I got out of the USAF, and wanted one for nostalgia and cheaper shooting than my .45 USP.  Anyways.  Good luck, and if S&W ditched the lock and raised the price $100, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  But if S&W kept the lock, and dropped the price $100, I still wouldn't have bought it.  Go figure.

That said, the reason that they are all gone is because of the lock, not because I find the actual designs lacking.  That and MIM, but MIM I can live with......because it's not a problem that is specific to S&W....but to most all recent manufacture firearms.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For some dumb reason all the nice s&w revolvers are on their way out........well.......are gone.  I was at the local gun store and saw a 686 5in that I absolutly LOVED.  But I bought a used beretta 92fs instead.  Want to know why?  The lock.  I couldn't get myself to drop $ on a otherwise beautiful piece of american gun, that has a sterling customer service department, because of a damn $10 piece of metal.  I tried, debated back and forth.  But I got the 9mm instead.  I still partially regret it, but at the same time, I feel stupid and happy.  Stupid because I didn't look around for a pre-lock s&w, but glad because I have been wanting a 92fs since I got out of the USAF, and wanted one for nostalgia and cheaper shooting than my .45 USP.  Anyways.  Good luck, and if S&W ditched the lock and raised the price $100, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.  But if S&W kept the lock, and dropped the price $100, I still wouldn't have bought it.  Go figure.

That said, the reason that they are all gone is because of the lock, not because I find the actual designs lacking.  That and MIM, but MIM I can live with......because it's not a problem that is specific to S&W....but to most all recent manufacture firearms.

You have gone over to the Dark Side…

I would have bought it with the lock and not a moments hesitation!

Nobody makes you use it…
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The Ruger GP100 is my nasty little guilty pleasure.  Got one in my night stand hand safe and am working a trade for another one.  Shhhhh, don't tell!

Woody
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top