Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:23:28 PM EDT
I just bought my 2nd bran new S&W 686 today. When I got it home I noticed that on the crown 3 of the rifle grooves are very sharp and 2 look like they got "smashed" as they don't look nearly as good as the other 3. I'm going to test it at the range later today and I'll post back. Has anyone ever noticed this on their S&W's?

Also I noticed after working the action a bit that on one if the chambers as it rotates by pulling the hammer back it is heavier as it is cocked then the other 5. What might caues this and is it a problem? Thank you!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#1]
That thing would be headed back to the dealer or factory if it were mine. S&W gets too much money for that revolver to have it be less than perfect from the box. If the cylinder has drag on one of its ports, this will certainly effect accuracy via trigger control. In that design of revolver there are several things that would cuase that. The most common is debris under the extraction star. Push the ejector rod all the way up while the cylinder is open and see if there is anything under it, like metal shavings or grime. Most of the other cuases are in the lock work and need factory assistance or a good revolversmith. The rifling sounds odd as well, not typical smith quality. Like I said if it was brand new it would head for the dealer or factory, pretty much regardless of how it works right now. That lock work problem could get worse anytime. The 686 is one of the best .357 revolvers made, its also about the most expensive. I think I would demand a unit that was right for the money I spent. If I wanted to put up with second best I would get a comanche or somethin.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I brought it back to the dealer and they would not exchange it saying that it would be against the law because they did not know where the gun had been in the last 12 hours and that they could not change the paperwork! They offered to overnight it to the factory so it is on it's way.

It just pisses me off that I had to send it back without even being to able to fire it! I hope S%W gets it fixed right the 1st time around or gives me a new gun.

Oh well, not a huge problem in life anyway! I have a few other toys to play with in the meen time!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#3]
don't know about the law (ammo yes) had a springfield exchanged after shooting it jammed every 4th rnd. no questions as 4 S&W the gun will come back perfect
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:20:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
don't know about the law (ammo yes) had a springfield exchanged after shooting it jammed every 4th rnd. no questions as 4 S&W the gun will come back perfect

That it good to know! Thanks!

How did your Springfield turn out?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Got the gun back today from S&W. They fived the action and it is now smooooth! The crown is still not 100% perfect like my other S&W's but the looks of the crown are a bit improved. I shot it for the 1st time and accuracy is great so I'm not worried about the crown. I was getting 1 inch groups at 12 yards and 1.5 inch at 25 yards dead center.

I did have to adjust the rear sight all the way to the right so the gun hit center. It was 2 inches left when the rear sight blade was centered. Is that normal/acceptable? Most of my other S&W's were hitting center with the rear sight centered. I happy with it and she shot very nice.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Got the gun back today from S&W. They fived the action and it is now smooooth! The crown is still not 100% perfect like my other S&W's but the looks of the crown are a bit improved. I shot it for the 1st time and accuracy is great so I'm not worried about the crown. I was getting 1 inch groups at 12 yards and 1.5 inch at 25 yards dead center.

I did have to adjust the rear sight all the way to the right so the gun hit center. It was 2 inches left when the rear sight blade was centered. Is that normal/acceptable? Most of my other S&W's were hitting center with the rear sight centered. I happy with it and she shot very nice.

Probably should have shot a few rounds before sending it back.  I sent a Ruger back to the factory a few years ago for that very reason.  It sounds weird that you would have to move the blade over that far to correct the issue (unless it was 2" when shot at 12 yards.  It's suprising S&W didn't zero it before it left the repair shop.  BTW the barrel on my Ruger was visably twisted in the frame when viewed from the front which caused the front site to lean to one side.

Kent
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Adjusting the sight all the way to the right to align POI and POA is totally unacceptable, you are shooting at 25 yards, it just gets worse.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Adjusting the sight all the way to the right to align POI and POA is totally unacceptable, you are shooting at 25 yards, it just gets worse.

What do you mean it just gets worse? How do I fix this? I thought that is why it had adjustable sights so you can get a zero?
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Either your barrel is not indexed properly or your front sight is not installed at 12:00 O Clock when the barrel is indexed properly. That is a Smith and Wesson Revolver, not a Romanian AK make them get it right.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 11:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Either your barrel is not indexed properly or your front sight is not installed at 12:00 O Clock when the barrel is indexed properly. That is a Smith and Wesson Revolver, not a Romanian AK make them get it right.

What does indexed mean?
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Aligned.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 12:08:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Aligned.

Eyeballing it is looks dead centered.
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#13]
SkagSig40
Perhaps we can find the problem, which will help in your dealings with Smith. If one was to screw the barrel in (clockwise looking from the muzzle end) what would the effect be where your lug mates the frame (cut out for ejector rod)? Is your cylinder to barrel gap plentiful or is it  just a few thousandths? Compare this gun with your other 686 to see how the lug mates the frame.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
SkagSig40
Perhaps we can find the problem, which will help in your dealings with Smith. If one was to screw the barrel in (clockwise looking from the muzzle end) what would the effect be where your lug mates the frame (cut out for ejector rod)? Is your cylinder to barrel gap plentiful or is it  just a few thousandths? Compare this gun with your other 686 to see how the lug mates the frame.

It is dead centered and the gap between the forcing cone and cylender is just like my other 686 and 629. The gun now shoots dead center. looking at the rear adjustable sight is is a few clicks to the right but not 100% to the right. It looks a little off center but not all the way if you can picture that. It looks like I could move it another few clicks if I had to. Is that normal?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:42:19 AM EDT
[#15]
From your 1st post I probably assumed you 686 to be much worse than it probably is. I think it is quite common with Smiths to use a little of their adjustment to center, out of the box. It is very common with Rugers. If its not bad enough to drive you crazy, its probably fine. I don't think the barrels on these guns are pinned any more, you could probably have the barrel bumped (tightened) without creating a problem with your barrel to cylinder gap or the ejector rod (this is one of those places where a little is a lot ) if you ever felt the need to do so. Enjoy your new Revolver and have a nice day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
From your 1st post I probably assumed you 686 to be much worse than it probably is. I think it is quite common with Smiths to use a little of their adjustment to center, out of the box. It is very common with Rugers. If its not bad enough to drive you crazy, its probably fine. I don't think the barrels on these guns are pinned any more, you could probably have the barrel bumped (tightened) without creating a problem with your barrel to cylinder gap or the ejector rod (this is one of those places where a little is a lot ) if you ever felt the need to do so. Enjoy your new Revolver and have a nice day.

Thank you for your input and help! I think she will be ok. Usually those little things likr the sight not being centered bugs me but thish gun is so nice and shoots great that I'm ok with it. My other 686, the sights are centered. A few other guns I own with adjustable sights needed to be drifted to the left or right to get the gun to hit center. I guess this is normal as long as it is not to an extreem left or right? Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top