Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 11:41:23 AM EDT
I am considering hunting deer this year with a revolver.
I am looking for recommendations for caliber, gun, scope, caliber, etc.
The following are the specfics:

Hunting area:  central Nebraska around Columbus
                        southeast Nebraska near Kansas border

Terrain:  central Nebraska - flat, farmground, trees along water ways
              Southeast Nebraska - not as flat, more trees, steep but low hills surrounding
                                                    farm ground

hunted species:  deer (almost exclusively white tail)

technique:  combination of treestands and stalking

range:  most shots in the past have been in the 80-120 yard range
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I am use a 454 Casull for deer hunting with a 1-5 Burris scope.  It will go easily out to 100-150 yards.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 mag with a 2-7x scope. I would probably go higher power if I wanted the 120-150 yard shot. You will pretty much have to rest or perch the pistol to hit the mark at that distance, its gettin kind of far for a revolver. If money is not too tight, the X frame smith and wesson in 460 looks awsome. The .460 seems to be a pretty flat shooter.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ruger redhawk in .44 mag for me this year. I figure I am good for 80-100 yds using the irons.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:02:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The S&W mod.629 .44 mag is a very nice pistol.The new S&W mod.29 is setup as a hunters gun now and is very nice.Probably some of the best trigger jobs I have seen to date.You can use .44spl in the pistols for practice and plinking...less recoil and cheaper price.
For a larger pistol and caliber I'd go with the Ruger Super Redhawk in .454.It will also shoot .45 Colt so it gives you an advantage of using cheaper and less recoil ammo for practice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#5]
from all ive read burris makes the tuffest scopes for the money.a handgun scope on a 44 mag takes a hell of a beating.so imagine the beating from a 454 casul!cowboy hat what burris model do you have and how do you like it????
i need a good scope to serve duty on my 44 mag,480 ruger and 454casul.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top