Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 11:59:43 AM EDT
I have wanted a .38/.357 revolver for years now, after I picked up a Rossi 92 lever gun in the same caliber.  I figured it was some unwritten rule that if one owned a rifle in .38/.357, one must also own a revolver in the same.  I had always liked the looks of the Talo 686+ for some reason, and had one in my shopping cart at Grab A Gun a number of times over the last few years (when they were readily available, of course), but always put it off.  And now over the last few weeks when the 'desire to purchase revolver intesifies' they have been pretty scarce, along with nearly everything else gun related.  Just by chance a local guy had something that interested me, and he was looking for small pistol primers.  So I ended up trading him a sleeve of 5k primers plus $50 for this:

I'm brand new to revolvers, but so far I really dig it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You know, the other day I stripped all the crap off my main AR and put the plastic handguards and carry handle back on. Now I too am looking at revolvers. I think I'm fudding in my middle age.  And I don't think I'm wrong to.

Red dots on pistols, Jesus *shakes cane*
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it makes you a fudd since fudd's generally don't care for handguns that much.  It is a rule that you should have a matching single action to match your lever gun but the secondary choice is a double action so you're good ??.  I currently pair a S&W 629 with my Winchester 94 .44 mag.  That'll change when/if frickin Ruger finally makes a 4.62" or 5.5" stainless Bisley SBH .44 mag that's not a mongo hunter model.

Nice wheelie!  I bet if you'd held out those 5k primers would have been worth 20 acres and a mule.  A little longer and you could get a house on that 20 acres.  Until people stop panic buying ammo we're all in for a bad time.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Fudd?

Sure, if synthetic rubber grips is your idea of Fudd.

Needs more wood grips and black powder. Maybe some rust.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Where's the uncle mike's holster?

Maybe get some glazer safety slugs for added fuddiery.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh it's on order, mister.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a good trade. You traded consumables for a hard item.

Enjoy your new revolver.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice item, decent trade.

You might want thicker grips than those Altamont factory grips, though.

My personal preference is wood, like on this L-frame (Ahrend's finger groove round butt):

But hogue wooden grips are also nice (Cocobolo on this N frame):

With well done wooden grips, .357 is easily managed.  But some good Rubber hogues work if you're a bit recoil sensitive at first, as some of those shorter barrels can pack a bit of punch.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You're not a Fudd until you sell off all your autos made after 1980, and of course all those scary black rifles. Mini-14s, M1As, and M1 Garands are marginally acceptable.

I have been on a revolver kick for about 10 years, but I'm no Fudd. Below is my latest project, just waiting on the optic to arrive.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Fudd isn't about what you own but what your attitude is toward what others own. Most would say that a Fudd is somebody who will only own Bolt action rifles and revolvers, that believe the 2nd is about hunting and so on but the same could be said about those that feel ownership should only be AR's and semies to defend against a tyrannical government and that the 2A has nothing to do with hunting. Both are wrong in the sense that there is an attitude toward one another's reason for ownership. I personally like all facets and types of firearms, using them, working on them, reloading, weather their used for hunting, defense/security and so on matters not. I am better served by specific types over others but can appreciate the choices others make in what works best for them and that open sensibility is what differentiates the Fudd from the non Fudd.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha, you haven't reached fuddery until you go to the range and forsake everything you have taken for a revolver.

Several years ago, I ended up with a BUNCH of light, mouse fart .38 full wadcutters.  They were so lightly loaded that you could occasionally, when the light was right, watch the bullet streaking downrange to the target. That day, I had put my 4" GP100 in my range bag, along with a large ziploc baggie of the wadcutters, thinking that I would shoot a few and see how they shot. I had intended to shoot and train with my M&P 2.0 and Shield.

I get to the range and hang my 8" steel target, then break out the GP100. I shot a couple of cylinders full and was absolutely amazed by the accuracy of the wadcutters. Before I knew it, I had shot up the whole ziploc baggie and it was time to leave. I was astounded that I had spent all of my time shooting the GP100 and how much I thoroughly enjoyed just shooting for the sake of enjoyment, not training. I hadn't even taken any speed loaders or a holster, just the GP100 and the bag of wadcutters. It was VERY relaxing. Shoot 6, check the target, reload one cartridge at a time, shoot 6 more. I was amazed by how much I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Man don't throw that Fudd word around lightly.

A lot of us own revolvers and are not Fudds.

A Fudd is someone who says "I support the second ammendment but...." [insert idiotic comment].

The classic one is "but you don't need military style assault weapons for hunting". They are walking talking human feces.

That 686+ is a very nice gun. I'm a long time revolver owner and I've never had a 686 or 686+. Enjoy it. It's a more elegant shooting experience. I love revolvers but that doesn't make me a Fudd I also love my suppressed SBR with drum mags.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Like the others have said, not a Fudd gun in the slightest. That is a great gun and tool. Congrats.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
The hillery hole makes me twitch, but that is about the perfect .357 barrel length and I like the unfluted cylinder.

Bold move on the primer trade, hopefully it was a tiny part of your inventory.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Sharp looking gun, I like wheel guns myself.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:16:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice gun and as others have said , as long as you are not leavening yourself short on primers a great trade (consumables for hard) .

I have found over the years that in revolvers the size , shape and material of a grip really changes the way a gun shoots. "feel" can sometimes fool you , in the end the results when you are shooting is the true proof.

With my hands on my 686's the Houge with the finger bumps work about the best but YMMV.

Yeah , the "fudd" term can be misleading .

I have not sworn off my 1911s or Glocks but I do love my revolvers . Never put your eggs in one basket .

Like the OP points out it only makes sense to match up a lever gun and a revolver. Anybody have a source for a revolver in 375 Winchester (big bore)?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the old Pachmyers on my revolvers. I used to have more but down to one now. Need to fight out how to remove the safety hole on mine. Like Smiths and Rugers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I laughed out loud at that shit... Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Fudd isn't about what you own but what your attitude is toward what others own. Most would say that a Fudd is somebody who will only own Bolt action rifles and revolvers, that believe the 2nd is about hunting and so on but the same could be said about those that feel ownership should only be AR's and semies to defend against a tyrannical government and that the 2A has nothing to do with hunting. Both are wrong in the sense that there is an attitude toward one another's reason for ownership. I personally like all facets and types of firearms, using them, working on them, reloading, weather their used for hunting, defense/security and so on matters not. I am better served by specific types over others but can appreciate the choices others make in what works best for them and that open sensibility is what differentiates the Fudd from the non Fudd.
View Quote

Wow, perfectly said... I feel the same way... Fuck Fudd's...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I like the old Pachmyers on my revolvers. I used to have more but down to one now. Need to fight out how to remove the safety hole on mine. Like Smiths and Rugers.
View Quote

Original Precision is the manufacturer you seek. I've done (4) now... First one took 35 minutes going slow, You-Tube... the 2nd one 18 minutes, the last 2 in sub 10 minutes. I'm friends with the owner who is a really good ex-marine and good guy. Tell him I sent you over and he'll take care of you...

Best regards,
Reagan
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:58:46 PM EDT
[#20]
One revolver doesn't make you fudd, if you post a pic of it along with a winchester 94 in 30-30 and a 870 wingmaster, then you're firmly in fudd territory.

BTW, love those grips; you'll like them with some stout .357 loads.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#21]
When I was growing up cars had their own style. Chevy look unique to Chevy, Ford looked unique to Ford.
Each had it's own look and style. They also kinda became a trade mark of the owner.
Now they all look alike. Take the nameplates off a 4 door sedan and you can't tell one make from another.

Same with handguns, About a year ago I went to a gun store and everything in the handgun cases had a black plastic frame and black slide.
Can't tell one brand from another.
When I was younger Colts looked like Colts and Smith and Wessons looked like Smith and Wessons. Each had a high polish finish and fine grain wood grips.

I carry a Colt Commander, The gun is Unique to me. It doesn't look like a thousand other guns out there.
Something said for being a Fudd.
Much like the Cowboys in the old Westerns, we each have our own unique look and style making us individuals.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:58:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fudd?

Sure, if synthetic rubber grips is your idea of Fudd.

Needs more wood grips and black powder. Maybe some rust.
View Quote

Is this close enough?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:21:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That's a good trade. You traded consumables for a hard item.

Enjoy your new revolver.
View Quote

That’s how I look at it ..
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't think it makes you a fudd since fudd's generally don't care for handguns that much.  It is a rule that you should have a matching single action to match your lever gun but the secondary choice is a double action so you're good .  I currently pair a S&W 629 with my Winchester 94 .44 mag.  That'll change when/if frickin Ruger finally makes a 4.62" or 5.5" stainless Bisley SBH .44 mag that's not a mongo hunter model.

Nice wheelie!  I bet if you'd held out those 5k primers would have been worth 20 acres and a mule.  A little longer and you could get a house on that 20 acres.  Until people stop panic buying ammo we're all in for a bad time.
View Quote
Or a matching set of Single Actions pistoleros to match a lever gun ;)
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
A lever action needs a single action. Always.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:19:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think it makes you a fudd since fudd's generally don't care for handguns that much.  It is a rule that you should have a matching single action to match your lever gun but the secondary choice is a double action so you're good .  I currently pair a S&W 629 with my Winchester 94 .44 mag.  That'll change when/if frickin Ruger finally makes a 4.62" or 5.5" stainless Bisley SBH .44 mag that's not a mongo hunter model.

That too!  

I totally agree that a single action or single actions must accompany a lever gun.  I think it's in the constitution or at least it should be.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Beautiful gun.  They are still and will always be a great defensive firearm.  The old idea I have only 6
shots might work for cops.  But for most people unless they are fighting a hoard of killers the revolver will ok.  Then you can always reload it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I don't think it makes you a fudd since fudd's generally don't care for handguns that much.  It is a rule that you should have a matching single action to match your lever gun but the secondary choice is a double action so you're good ??.  I currently pair a S&W 629 with my Winchester 94 .44 mag.  That'll change when/if frickin Ruger finally makes a 4.62" or 5.5" stainless Bisley SBH .44 mag that's not a mongo hunter model.

View Quote

They've brought out new versions of the stainless Vaquero in the past couple years (BH without adjustable sights). I never really cared for BH's, the lines just don't look right though my single six has the adjustables. As it's the convertible model and I get a different POA, POI switching the 22 LR cylinder to 22 magnums I need the adjustment.

Ruger makes their front sights deliberately tall. It's up to you if you want to file them down, I do to get a lollipop set-up. I have a number of Vaqueros and my L&R has always been spot on.

Here's one that is pretty close I guess in a birds head. It looks like they put it on the old Vaqueros larger frame to get the .44 mag pressure up, not sure, something to look into.

Vaquero in .44

A second one with a Bisley hammer:

Bisley hammer version

Here's the rest of the line:

Stainless models
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#29]
I’d like to carry this once I get some significant practice in with it. Can anyone recommend a decent OWB kydex holster (not interested in leather)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Try Dale Fricke.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:44:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice revolver OP. I love unfluted cylinders.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:03:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Buying a revolver doesn't make you a fudd. It makes you a refined gentleman, with the taste for something with a soul.

The last one I bought was my model 28. I bought it mint in box the middle of last year for 600 bucks. It even came with the optional target grips. They were an option that could be ordered on model 28s back in the day, and I guess are kind of a rarity to have been so.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:18:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Full-lug, non-fluted cylinder is the ultimate look for a revolver.

She's a beauty, congrats.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:58:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You had to go there..........  What did uncle mike ever do to you.  I was looking at another at walmart for a Makarov just this weekend. I even got home and wiped down my bolt action 22lr,s . Moss berg M44’s,   One parked one blue. I need some antacid after this...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Buying a revolver doesn't make you a fudd. It makes you a refined gentleman, with the taste for something with a soul.

The last one I bought was my model 28. I bought it mint in box the middle of last year for 600 bucks. It even came with the optional target grips. They were an option that could be ordered on model 28s back in the day, and I guess are kind of a rarity to have been so.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/3003/58-MODEL_28-2_HIGHWAY_PATROLMAN-W275770--1839101.JPG
View Quote

That's beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Let the practicing begin!

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#37]
If you rock that thing in blood red Master-Tac kydex with a North Mountain 6 pack speedloader holder stuffed with Comp III's, nobody will dare utter the word fudd, they'll just marvel at the awesomeness of your loadout
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice, bet you got those primers fairly cheap back in the day?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Bought two consecutive serial number Rugers many years ago with the intention to shoot them in cowboy matches. Alas, I got a bit too old and slow to rock them.

I particularly liked shooting them, one in each hand, alternating firing them. I found it much more difficult then I thought it would be, but I became somewhat good at alternate firing after a good bit of practice.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Stainless = No Fudd
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top