Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2011 8:49:25 PM EDT
I'm hoping to go tomorrow to get one but I really don't know which brand to go with. It will be used as a hiking gun for protection against bear(black). What brand would you guys choose and why? And help would be a huge help. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I like Smith N frames the best. Better trigger, more refined than the Rugers, though Redhawks are quality guns as well.  Specifically for your purpose a 4" half lug 629 with Hogue grips is about as ideal as can be in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#2]
629 Mountain Gun, it's my favorite firearm of them all. I like these so well that I have two.  Relatively light, accurate and powerful.

This one has a Crimson Trace laser grip and has taken a couple of wild hogs.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#3]
4" Redhawk.  300+gr hardcast
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 1:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd go with a 4" 29/629 as well.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:38:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#6]
For woods guns I prefer stainless steel Rugers for the simple fact that they are much easier to take apart an clean than Smiths.  Any gun you pack is going to get wet at some poiint, even just ambient humidity will seep into it on a muggy day.  I have several Smiths and I agree they have a better trigger, are more accurate, and are simply more refined.  However, drop one and the mud and then try taking it apart to clean and you'll see what I mean. Go on youtube and search under revolver dissasembly.

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:17:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Smith Mountain gun. (as above)

There are better choices for general shooting or hunting, but the Smith will carry a lot better.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#8]
S&W M329NG  Really light, great for carrying around all day.  Love mine, just change factory grip to the Hogue, like mine and it's great.  Grip is big enough to hold onto and recoil isn't that bad.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I ended up getting a ruger super redhawk. It's got a 7.5" barrel. A little bigger than I wanted but it was all they had in a 44mag. Trigger is amazing. It's so smooth. Even the double action pull. The recoil is the same as my 357mag which is nice. Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

629 Mountain Gun, it's my favorite firearm of them all. I like these so well that I have two.  Relatively light, accurate and powerful.

This one has a Crimson Trace laser grip and has taken a couple of wild hogs.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/P10109821.JPG

When I was a patrolman (years ago), my partner carried that exact model.  I've always been fond of it, having shot it during range time with him.  Likely I'll buy one myself one day.  WORD OF ADVICE:  No matter how cool you think the fancy hardwood grips look on a S&W 629, RESIST THE URGE!  Stick with the CT's or Hogue's......

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I ended up getting a ruger super redhawk. It's got a 7.5" barrel. A little bigger than I wanted but it was all they had in a 44mag. Trigger is amazing. It's so smooth. Even the double action pull. The recoil is the same as my 357mag which is nice. Thanks for the help guys!

The Super Redhawk is a great gun, but there is no requirement to keep the 7 1/2" barrel. I had my SRH cut to 6". I find that a much better length.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm hoping to go tomorrow to get one but I really don't know which brand to go with. It will be used as a hiking gun for protection against bear(black). What brand would you guys choose and why? And help would be a huge help. Thanks guys.

A Super Redhawk?  
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 2:12:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Dan Wesson..... versatile, superbly accurate and indestructible
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, if he goes boating it ( a Super Redhawk) is heavy enough to double as a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#15]
S&W 696.  I've coveted one for a while now as I think it would be a very good carry gun for town or country...
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 5:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't think the weight is that bad at all but I may have the barrel cut down some.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Super Redhawk?  

What's your issue?
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Super Redhawk?  

What's your issue?

He picked the biggest, heaviest revolver possible, with the longest barrel offering to carry while hiking?  Great hunting revolver.  Not exactly an ideal defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Super Redhawk?  

What's your issue?

He picked the biggest, heaviest revolver possible, with the longest barrel offering to carry while hiking?  Great hunting revolver.  Not exactly an ideal defensive weapon.

I'll admit it's a lot bigger than I wanted but the weight is a non issue for me. Iv already put 300rds down the pipe and I'm very quick on the draw and can put the rounds on target.  I would think a longer barrel would give me more velocity thus deeper penatration.  

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:16:06 PM EDT
[#20]
It will, don't get me wrong, the Super Redhawk is a solid choice.  It's just the opposite of what you were looking for, something to carry often and shoot a little.  The 4" guns tend to carry the best while being quite shootable, and the Super Redhawk is even beefier than most with the idea that it can be used for the hottest hunting loads.

It's like asking for suggestions on an AR to carry in the woods, and picking a 24" bull barrel.  

I hope it works out for you
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It will, don't get me wrong, the Super Redhawk is a solid choice.  It's just the opposite of what you were looking for, something to carry often and shoot a little.  The 4" guns tend to carry the best while being quite shootable, and the Super Redhawk is even beefier than most with the idea that it can be used for the hottest hunting loads.

It's like asking for suggestions on an AR to carry in the woods, and picking a 24" bull barrel.  

Well then I guess I will just have to go buy another one.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my SRH Alaskanized, but many smith's can shorten it up to a 4" barrel or the like or buzz it down to a 2.5" for not too much dough.  While heavy, the SRH is kind of nice because it has padding on the backstrap (neither the 29's or RH have that) and the weight helps dampen recoil some.  I can shoot several boxes of std loads (factory 240's) through mine without issue.  I am still done after a cylinder of bear loads though.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Super Redhawk?  

What's your issue?

Come on, its better than a GPS.  Carry it on the hip and walk in a circle....guaranteed to end up at the starting point.
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 4:14:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

do you have much trigger time being a 4 inch 44 magnum ?
If not id suggest a 357. in my neck of the woods we have some large blackbear but nothing a well placed 357 couldnt handle.
you have to remember that if your going to be shooting at a bear its very inlikely your going to have very much time to take a well aimed shot, using both hands
more likely you will be on your back with a bear ontop of you or being charged at. even folks with alot of trigger time behind a 44 magnum have trouble connecting
with hot rounds using double action using both hands and a good stance, let alone under stress/attack.
If you do have some time behind a 44 mag then no problem....I just think alot of people charge headlong into what people tell them they should use when it may
not be the best choice for them.
for a hiking sidearm against dangerous animals you need something you can still fire and connect with under the worse conditions possable...like say a bear eating your face [BD
Link Posted: 6/6/2011 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ran a 629-3 3in at the NY IDPA State Match, it was alot fun, but getting that piece of steel off my hip at the end of the day was much welcomed :)

I would of taken a look at the 454 casul if goiing with a Ruger - just a more versatile gun over the 44mag, with the cylinder cut 45acp with moonclips make for fun practice, besides they offer a 2.5 / 3in barrel for backpacking / camping that can double as a match gun for fun ;)

Just some thoughts, good luck with that monster

Link Posted: 6/13/2011 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just ran a 629-3 3in at the NY IDPA State Match, it was alot fun, but getting that piece of steel off my hip at the end of the day was much welcomed :)

I would of taken a look at the 454 casul if goiing with a Ruger - just a more versatile gun over the 44mag, with the cylinder cut 45acp with moonclips make for fun practice, besides they offer a 2.5 / 3in barrel for backpacking / camping that can double as a match gun for fun ;)
Just some thoughts, good luck with that monster

Link Posted: 6/17/2011 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Damn that bottom one looks like it make everyone flinch at a IDPA match LMAO all the SSR guys use reduce load 38spl

If I had one I wold use it just for the hell of it at a match "Wake up Call"

Very nice Rugers G-30
Link Posted: 6/23/2011 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#28]
This.  Ruger SBH Hunter.  If you miss the shot, you can club it to death.
" />
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#29]
I own three .44's.  A Ruger, a Dan Wesson and a S&W.

The Ruger is accurate and reliable.

The Dan Wesson is accurate (really haven't shot it enough to say its reliable but it probably is).

The S&W is accurate, reliable and the smoothest operating of the three by far.  Until you pick up (now mine is an old one from back in the 70's) a M29 and fee how smooth/slick the action is you won't believe it.  I don't shoot it much (promised my son we'd take it to the range next trip) these days but when I pull it out to look it over, wipe it down, etc. I'm still amazed at how slick that action is compared to my other revolvers.

If I were buying a .44 magnum revolver today I'd be looking at one of the S&W's .44's with the full lug under the barrel (like my 586) in stainless steel with a 6" barrel.  That would be my ideal .44 magnum for riding, shooting, carrying around the property if I lived out in the country still.
Link Posted: 6/24/2011 10:10:24 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a Taurus Tracker .44 Magnum w/ 4" barrel. I was very happy with its reliability, accuracy and feel.  If I had not needed to buy a house in a hurry, I would still own it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top