Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:41:17 PM EDT
I've only ever owned autos. Namely Glocks and Kimbers. But a commercial on TV piqued my interest and got me thinking, maybe a revolver WOULD have it's place in my lineup? Let's talk about this...
Right now I have a Glock 19 and 30 that I plan to use for carry/HD
A Kimber Eclipse Pro II (4" bbl) and a Kimber Warrior that I bought for both HD and the "action pistol" (IDPA rules) shoots at my club.
The G19 and Warrior both sport Streamlight TLR-1's currently, and I keep a Surefire G2 in my nightstand and on my person if I carry the G30 or Eclipse, which don't have rails.
A commercial for the Ruger LCR came on TV one night and it looks like a neat little lightweight package that'd be super easy to conceal just about anywhere off and on my person.
I was thinking a pocket or ankle carried backup gun, or a glovebox gun?
Thoughts, opinions? Am I just looking for a reason to buy a new gun or what? haha
School me on the LCR, and any other pocket sized revolvers that might apply to this application.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Well the LCR is a different purpose my thinking-(45>357>9>38>380>32>25 or22) I would/do consider 45,10,40 and 357 to  be primary HD, CCW. I consider the 9 and 38 practical inexpensive all purpose weapons. The others are back up pieces. So my answer as I have both revolvers and semiauto's is get yourself oe.
   I have several subnose  revolvers because I collect them as well  as consider them CCW alternatives. I like both my Smith airweight Bodyguard and Colt Cobra in 38 sp. My wife prefers my(hers now) Colt Detective Special.
 I'd consider the LCR right in there with them. I passed on getting one (for now) but would't hesitate if it was my first.
  For ankle carry I did 't like it , I have a holster and used it less than a week. Pocket carry is/was my main means for all of them. Right now the Colt Pocket Nine is the main back up and the LCP my pocket piece.
 Lightweight is your friend for ankle carry and even pocket carry. Control of the defensive ammo takes practice but I have zero problems even with +P ammo in the lightweight revolvers.
Try 'em you'll like their simplicity and appriciate their reliability.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Well the LCR is a different purpose my thinking-(45>357>9>38>380>32>25 or22) I would/do consider 45,10,40 and 357 to  be primary HD, CCW. I consider the 9 and 38 practical inexpensive all purpose weapons. The others are back up pieces. So my answer as I have both revolvers and semiauto's is get yourself oe.
   I have several subnose  revolvers because I collect them as well  as consider them CCW alternatives. I like both my Smith airweight Bodyguard and Colt Cobra in 38 sp. My wife prefers my(hers now) Colt Detective Special.
 I'd consider the LCR right in there with them. I passed on getting one (for now) but would't hesitate if it was my first.
  For ankle carry I did 't like it , I have a holster and used it less than a week. Pocket carry is/was my main means for all of them. Right now the Colt Pocket Nine is the main back up and the LCP my pocket piece.
 Lightweight is your friend for ankle carry and even pocket carry. Control of the defensive ammo takes practice but I have zero problems even with +P ammo in the lightweight revolvers.
Try 'em you'll like their simplicity and appriciate their reliability.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top