Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 3:25:40 PM EDT
What do you think about the Ruger 345? Is it accurate? Trigger pull?
Thanks in advance!
OIFVET
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I rented one and it is a good pistol. The slimmer grip makes it more user friendly. It is still a bit top bulky but it is ok. I am looking to buy the Decock only model so I don't have to worry about any safeties in a stress situation. You do have to get used to that first DA pull. I am used to the Glock pull but it is no biggie. I was practicing some double taps from DA to SA and it was average. With the SA, the target looked like it had two little eyes, lol.
A lot of people here doesn't like it because of different failures but I did liked it. Just try and shoot one so you get the feel for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I absolutly love mine and after about 500rds still zero malfunctions and I even have the dreaded manual saftey model. It has been dry fired countless times with the mag in and an a-zoom snap cap and still no problems. It is as accurate as most any of my pistols with a polimer frame and more accurate than the HK USP 9mm I had and my Glock 19. I own SA 1911s, SIG 220, CZ97B and an XD .45ACP and I use the P345 for my carry pistol I like it so much. It realy likes the Hornandy TAP 200GR XTP +P HPs. The only problems I have read about them is guys that did not read the manual and dry fired it with out the mag in which can damage the fireing pin. Like I said though I have dry fired mine hundreds if not a thoudand times with a snap cap and zero problems. It is the most comfortable .45 I have in my opinion. The CZ97B is the most accurate though. I highly recomend the P345. Some guys will say it is junk simply because it did not cost $$$$$$ but niether did my CZ 97B and it will smoke most production 1911s when it comes to accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one.  The pistol grip is one of the most natural feeling grips I have ever held.

Mine is a manual safety model, but I carry it with the lever up, like a decocker.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 9:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
i have put about 200rds through my friend 345. i was impressed. VERY comfortable gun. slim, good ergonomics. great grip. astonishingly accurate for a gun in its price range. the only flaws i found was the typical ruger trigger and it will not take a 1911 mag.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i have put about 200rds through my friend 345. i was impressed. VERY comfortable gun. slim, good ergonomics. great grip. astonishingly accurate for a gun in its price range. the only flaws i found was the typical ruger trigger and it will not take a 1911 mag.

Well, what besides a 1911 will take a 1911 mag?

My Sigs will not take my Ruger mags, my Rugers will not take my Sig mags, my HKs will not take my Ruger mags, and my HKs will not take my Sig mags.  Damn they are all flawed.

I also don't find the Ruger trigger to be that different, especially on DA, from the Sigs or the HKs.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I highly recomend the P345. Some guys will say it is junk simply because it did not cost $$$$$$ but niether did my CZ 97B .

That's called gun snobbery.  If it doesn't cost big bucks, it ain't worth having.

I have Sigs and HKs as well as a P90, P89, and my P345.  I trust my life to the Rugers as readily as I do any of the others.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell 'em!

I am picking mine on Wednesday!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm sold on them now. Thanks for all the replies.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
..........I want one....................
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:33:43 AM EDT
[#10]
OK, MSRP on Ruger's site is $548.

What's a fair market price at a dealer?  IIRC, I saw one locally at around $460.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I paid $430 for my 345, I think about selling it occasionally, only because of the lack of holsters available for a lefty, I'll probably just end up keeping it though. Its a great firearm in my opinion, my only problem with the 345 isn't because of the firearm, but because of the user.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I got mine for $400 + tax, shop around.

NBR, what brand of holster are you looking for? For lefties, you can check Don Hume and KD holsters. It is a limited variety but remmember that the 345 is a fairly new model.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:09:14 PM EDT
[#13]
any idea what I could get for a used P345 if I decide to sell it? it's about a year old and I have 3 mags to go with it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I paid $430 for my 345, I think about selling it occasionally, only because of the lack of holsters available for a lefty, I'll probably just end up keeping it though. Its a great firearm in my opinion, my only problem with the 345 isn't because of the firearm, but because of the user.

Just about any leather SIG 220 holster out there will fit it like a glove.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:47:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:28:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
any idea what I could get for a used P345 if I decide to sell it? it's about a year old and I have 3 mags to go with it

Doh!

I picked one up Saturday morning.

Bad timing, the story of my life.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doh!

I picked one up Saturday morning.

Bad timing, the story of my life.

So have you shot it yet? What do you think?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:34:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So have you shot it yet? What do you think?

Tomorrow will be my first range day with it.  

So far, the biggest thing I see is the long, firm DA trigger pull on the first shot.  That sort of thing isn't new to me (I have a KelTec P11), but this Ruger will take practice.  

I'll post my experiences afterward.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Just about any leather SIG 220 holster out there will fit it like a glove.

Do you know if I can use the Don Hume types specifically or is it like you said "all leather holsters"?
I ordered one but it will take 4-6 weeks so I may try one for the sig. It may be the Don Hume PCCH IWB Holster or the simple IWB. Anyone knows about it (PCCH)?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Most any of the 220 leather holsters should work according to the research I did. The Galco I got is for a SIG 220 with a rail because I have a 220 with a rail so I thought if it did not fit my Ruger I could use it for my actual SIG but it fit like a glove. It was very tight but according to the instructions on the holster it was supposed to be that way. I would think the Hume holster would work also especialy if it was a topless without a strap.

I got my Galco from Arizona Gun runners for under $60 which is not much more than some of the Hume holsters. The Bianchi proffesional is another one I would look into.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the info. Is that the Summer Comfort you are using? I may consider this one too.  I am going to give DH a try because of the "sweat guard" it has on the PCCH model.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info. Is that the Summer Comfort you are uising? I may consider this one too.  I am going to give DH a try because of the "sweat guard" it has on the PCCH model.

Yes it is the summer comfort. I almost did not get it because it did not have a sweat gaurd but I have had no problems at all with it. I am sort of an old school guy though and always have an under shirt on but my G19 was uncomfortable even with the shirt without a sweat gaurd. The Bianchi proffesional has a nice high sweat gaurd and the sued side to the body on the back and is only about $40.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:10:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I seen it, wanted it & GI_Brat bought it for me! (I usually get my way)

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Ok, here's my bump in the night investigation kit.

I am still looking for a holster. I am having problems with gunners alley cause they told me they didn't have the holster that I wanted so I cancel the order but I haven't heard from them since. No refund or answer. I am giving them a few more days.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice pics.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:01:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I like mine.  It's comfortable to shoot, recoil isn't harsh at all.

My rear sight started slipping to the right, so that had to be tightened down.  Other than that it has been flawless.

I'm giving it a thumbs-up.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I was looking at mine last night and can not believe how well the grip fits my hand. The only pistol I have that fits my hand better is my P01 or any other pistol I have owned for that matter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:04:06 AM EDT
[#28]
can't say I'm not interested, but the mag disconnect issue bothers me.  If/when a decocker only is available I might be more interested.

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Sigs will not take my Ruger mags, my Rugers will not take my Sig mags, my HKs will not take my Ruger mags, and my HKs will not take my Sig mags.  Damn they are all flawed.

I also don't find the Ruger trigger to be that different, especially on DA, from the Sigs or the HKs.  

The Ruger P345 will accept single stack 1911 mags.  You just have to cut a mag catch knotch on the 1911 mags.  I had a local gunsmith alter my 1911 mags for me, because I carry a Rock Island .45 on my right hip and my P345 rides crossdraw on my left.  I carry two spare 7 round 1911 mags that have been modified.  Several hundred rounds and no problems.  The Ruger mags WILL NOT fit into my 1911, because the Ruger mags are rectangular, and the 1911 mags are rounded.  So if you want to use 1911 mags (single stack) in your P345, with a little work, it is possible.  And my gunsmith did a great job with this modification.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
can't say I'm not interested, but the mag disconnect issue bothers me.  If/when a decocker only is available I might be more interested.

Most manufacturers are slowly going to the mag disconnect because a few states require it.

As for the decocker, I really don't understand why that is a problem.  Mine is manual safety, but I carry it in the fire mode just as a decocker version would be.  I prefer the decocker only, but I don't see the big deal as long as they are the same lever and it can be carried in the fire mode.

Would you refuse to buy an HK USP variation 1 for the same reason?

Having said that, there IS a decocker only version of the P345.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Ruger P345 will accept single stack 1911 mags.  You just have to cut a mag catch knotch on the 1911 mags.  I had a local gunsmith alter my 1911 mags for me, because I carry a Rock Island .45 on my right hip and my P345 rides crossdraw on my left.  I carry two spare 7 round 1911 mags that have been modified.  Several hundred rounds and no problems.  The Ruger mags WILL NOT fit into my 1911, because the Ruger mags are rectangular, and the 1911 mags are rounded.  So if you want to use 1911 mags (single stack) in your P345, with a little work, it is possible.  And my gunsmith did a great job with this modification.  Good luck.

Is it really worth all that?  Ruger single stack mags cost about $20 or so retail.  I have a bunch that I use interchangeably between the P345 and the P90.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Most manufacturers are slowly going to the mag disconnect because a few states require it.

Larry,

Could you (or anyone else for that matter) let me know which states mandate the mag disconnect?

Thanks
chissel
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry,

Could you (or anyone else for that matter) let me know which states mandate the mag disconnect?

Thanks
chissel

yeah?  I was 99% sure it was a LEO preference.  Nonetheless, Ruger s WELL know for - hw should I say this - showing their folds to the anti's before the anti's even start doing the folding!
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it really worth all that?  Ruger single stack mags cost about $20 or so retail.  I have a bunch that I use interchangeably between the P345 and the P90.

Larry,

For me, its definitely worth it.  I don't have to carry separate mags for my two carry pistols.  I can reload both pistols with the same mags.  I don't have to think about putting the right mag in the right pistol.  I always carry both.  This system works for me.  The gunsmith charged me $15.00 per each mag that was modified.  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry,

Thanks
chissel

I know that California requires it.  There are a few others but I can't find them right now.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Larry,

Thanks
chissel

yeah?  I was 99% sure it was a LEO preference.  Nonetheless, Ruger s WELL know for - hw should I say this - showing their folds to the anti's before the anti's even start doing the folding!

Yeah, right.  More bullshit with no proof.  I notice that you did not address the fact that a decocker P345 is available after you said you might be interested if you could get that feature.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

There are some guys that do what they call cleaning the rear site which takes care of that problem I believe. I have had zero problems with mine though and they do have a decocker only version I think. It is a great pistol. My intrest in ruger semi autos was nill until the P345 came along and I saw a few at the local range.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#38]
CJ,
You see my p345 pic? The rear sight is very "clean", 500 rounds so far and no problems. I almost forgot, Decocker only model. Go try and rent one and see for yourself. Some like 'em, some don't.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:33:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I got rid of the mag disconnect and the lock on my 345.  600 rds fired with no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top