Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 2:18:18 AM EDT
I read a post where someone stated the P345 had issues but did not realy state what they were other than a dry fireing problem because the mag disconect. Does any one know what those issues are supposed to be with the P345? So far mine has been fantastic however I only have about 450rds through it at this point but it has been a great pistol. If you actualy own one or have seen problems first hand on this pistol what are they?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one, I've had no problems with it so far, got about 1000 rounds through it, mostly Wolf and some handloads, hardball and lead.  Feeds and fires everything with out any failures.  I did remove the Magazine Disconnect as that is where alot of folks are having the problems.  From what I understand, the firing pin block on the mag disconnect gets peened if the gun is dry fired without a mag in it, and eventually gives light or no strikes on the primer.  I removed the parts and the gun functions fine.  I don't need a problem waiting to happen.  Mine was shooting left for me, probably because of the very narrow grip.  Plenty of sight adjustment avaliable, so aligning the sights is no problem.  For the money, it's a pretty nice gun.  More dependable than my Springfield 1911, and my Witness 45.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:29:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. No problems with mine either I just wnated to see if it was one group of people or P345 owners as a whole having problems. So far it looks like a small group.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#3]
From everything I read on different boards including the Ruger Forums, seems like the problems came from the mag disconnect, the bolt stop hitting the cartridge nose, or the mag followers.  I have had none of those, and did the premptive partadectomy on mine.  Now if I could only get those 2" groups at 25yds like some people claim........
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Could you PM me about the surgery. There was a thread in the Ruger forum but they removed it before I could paste and clip. It would be greatly apriciated and yes I know it is at my own risk yadayada and all that.  This is a great pistol as far as I am concerned.

The last time I went shooting at 12yrds 16rds were one big hole about the diameter of 4 bullets. For some reason at about 250rds the accuracy realy turned on with this pistol almost like I flipped a switch or something.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:20:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had a P345 for about 15 months now. iths the first Ruger I've owned, and I can't say i've been disappointed...she's rapidly approaching the 2500 round mark with no misfires, price was good, feels good in my hand and is an overall pleasure to shoot. The only real disadvantage I've experienced is the low availability of accessories, especially holsters. I have been looking for a holster (other than the fobus) to accept the p345 with a tac-light connected, and have had NO LUCK...That is my only problem with it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine does not have a rail so I am good to go. About any Sig 220 holster that is leather will work. I have a Galco Summer Comfort and for a SIG 220 and it fits it like a golve.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:38:50 AM EDT
[#7]
DO NOT DRY FIRE without the magazine being inserted. This will do damage, and cause the firing pin not to hit the primer when you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
sounds like you guys should be using snap caps
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 11:51:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I use snap caps if I dry fire.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Snap caps won't help in this case. With the mag out, the firing pin is blocked, and the pin may be damaged if fired (or dry-fired) when it stikes the block.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a foam earplug. Squish it down and put it between the hammer and the firing pin area.  Snap all day, wont hurt a thing.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:17:30 AM EDT
[#12]

I have had mine for a year and a half with no probs, I don't dry fire it though. I also own Kimbers and Sigs and for the money it is hard to beat the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Snap caps won't help in this case. With the mag out, the firing pin is blocked, and the pin may be damaged if fired (or dry-fired) when it stikes the block.

I do leave the mag in also.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have had mine for a year and a half with no probs, I don't dry fire it though. I also own Kimbers and Sigs and for the money it is hard to beat the Ruger.

I agree. My P345 so far shoots as good as anything I have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top