Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2022 1:02:46 PM EDT
I purchased a LCP MAX a few weeks ago.  It was shooting super low left off a bench with several types of ammo and not locking back on empty.   When cleaning it I observed while looking through the chamber end a burr around the entire barrel at the crown area.  Ruger promptly sent a return label.  They received it on a Thur and had it back to me the following Friday almost a week.  They replaced the barrel, slide assembly and slide stop.  & sent me a Ruger branded silicon cloth.  The gun shoots perfect tight groups at point of aim and locks back on empty.  I read several issues prior to purchase.  I just want you to know if your on the fence on purchasing a MAX. Do it .  Ruger was very easy to deal with and promptly fixed and returned mine.  I highly recommend getting one.  Its a nice little gun, for Back up. NPE or just a lazy not wanting to carry a bigger gun day.  Thank you Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I need to send mine back for similar issues. I’m going to have my gun guy ship it off for me once cycling season is over. It’s small enough that I can carry it in my Jersey pocket.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an older ruger lcp that i had since new.    When i first got it i shot a handful of times then put away and only carry it a few times. Fast forward to a few weeks ago, when maryland became a shall issue state. I signed up for the first w&C class i could get in.  So i dug it out of my safe and  started shooting it, i found that it was shooting 6 inches low at 10 yards and all over the place. I tried several different types of ammo. Even had a nice guy at the range give me 12 rounds  to try and they all shot same, i called Ruger and they said send it back to them. They wanted $45 for the shipping tag,  I didn’t have the money the day i called. I got a little extra today and called back and talked with them and bought the return tag, and got it into fed ex this afternoon.  I am hoping they fix it and get it back to me fast.

Is the shooting low something common with these small pistols?

So far Ruger has been great to deal with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had a LCP Max for a while now.  Finally got around to shooting it over the last couple of weeks.  Gun shoot crazy low no matter what range I am from the target.  Also, it chokes on HP ammo about every third round.  I've got about 100 rounds through it now and the issue hasn't gotten any better.

Emailed Ruger and detailed my issue.  They emailed me back within a couple of hours and asked me to call in directly.  Called and the rep said I could either send it back in or they will ship me a new barrel/slide assembly.  I chose to have them send me the parts directly.  They say it should take a week for it to arrive.  Hopefully that will take care of my issues.  We shall see.

I really want to love this gun.  I've got hundreds of rounds through my LCP II and haven't had a single issue.  I hope with replacement parts the MAX will be as good as the LCP II.  I will say that Ruger's CS has been very easy to deal with so far.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. My LCP MAX shoots super low but I've only shot it a few times and assumed my trigger control was poor. So there are known issues with them shooting low?
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 11:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
My LCP Max shoots a little low (3"-ish) at 10 yards, and was left 5"-6". It's been fine with all the ammo I've tried except Sig V-crown which experienced multiple FTF. My uneducated guess is it has to do with that large cavity. I adjusted the rear sight and now the windage is good. Need to shoot it some more to determine if the elevation issue is me or the gun (I havent had it long and only put about 200 rounds through it so far). I'll have to try it off a bench soon to really see what it's doing.

My only real complaint with the gun is the few times I've carried it, twice I've pulled it out of my pocket to find the magazine dislodged. I've chalked it up to the elcheapo soft pocket holster it came with, so I need to explore other options there. Might shave the mag release down a tad too. Otherwise, I'm overall pleased with it as a gun I can carry when I can't carry a "real" gun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2022 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. My LCP MAX shoots super low but I've only shot it a few times and assumed my trigger control was poor. So there are known issues with them shooting low?
View Quote

Yes, it is a known issue.  There is an entire archived thread here (that I couldn't find for some reason) about that topic.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine had to go back to the factory cause the side would lock back with ammo still in the magazines. Went to ruger.  Got there on a Monday was back in my hands that same week on Friday.  It’s flawless but I admit.  From time to time she shoots about 2-3 inches low.  Since it’s intended not to really be used not past 10 yards and all rounds stay in the center mass I am not worried.  It’ll do what it has to.  Just weird that it does it every now and then.  Other times it shoots POI.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#8]
You got lucky they fixed it.  Mine went back for magazine dropping out, and crazy low shooting.  In addition, it was simply inaccurate, no real groups with any ammunition.  It was returned with the same problems.  Sold it off.  Subsequently met several other shooters with the same issues.  Had a client that recently bought one - new production just as inaccurate as a year ago.

It's trash, like a lot of other Ruger "products" these days.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:48:21 AM EDT
[#9]
It’s unfortunate to continue to hear of issues with these. I want one, but my LCP2 just works.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 9:39:15 AM EDT
[#10]
How do you aim/shoot? Do you aim cover up or 6 o'clock drop/pumpkin on a post. Mine shoots cover up. If i were to shoot 6 o'clock drop, my hits would be low.

Mine shoots dead nuts at 7-10 yards. Being a CCW, i dont intend to shoot over 25ish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 3:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine shot low. Ruger replaced the slide and barrel and fixed the issue. It has been completely reliable except with Hornaday Critical Defense. That failed to extract 3 out of 5 rounds.

I did have that one time when I accidentally dropped it and the pin that holds the main spring popped out.

I put it back in and the gun has worked fine.
Link Posted: 3/11/2023 10:50:29 PM EDT
[#12]
My MAX is an FDE model, maybe 200 rounds through it.  It seems that POI is about an inch lower than POA.  I can live with that.  Otherwise, a great little pistol.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought one of these and hoping it works. I don’t really have a purpose for it but it was a great deal so I grabbed it. I haven’t owned a .380 since high school.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 11:55:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Bought one of the first ones that showed up at my local gun shop.  No issues so far, despite it being submerged in salt water twice. Even shoots that crappy steel case practice ammo to point of aim.   I'm quite happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2023 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Is it normal for these to have a VERY loose slide to frame fit?

I don’t expect a Wilson 1911 or anything but it rattles like crazy.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 1:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I bought one a couple of months ago and I had issues with multiple brands of ammo chambering. Had to heel slap the back of the slide hard to chamber. Called Ruger and they sent a new slide and barrel assembly
It came today and I went to the range. Runs flawless and shoots to point of aim at 7 yards. Ran mags mixed with multiple brands and types of ammo. No problem. I really like the pistol. Good sights, decent trigger, good accuracy, comfortable to shoot and 12+1 with the mag extension . Much better than my PTA3 I had. I like Ruger and own multiple Rugers. Customer service was great and they took care of the problem but I wish QC had their shit together on these pistols before shipping.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Well here’s my story. Mine shot ridiculously low. Called Ruger and they sent me a new slide and barrel. Unfortunately it was for a standard LCP, so that won’t work. Called again. 20 minutes on hold they say they’ll send the right one this time. I get the new top end and fiddle with it for about 15 minutes before the slide will go on. Finally hold my mouth just right and the slide goes on and the new slide won’t chamber a round. Change to a different bullet, same deal. Change to a 3rd different type of ammo and still won’t chamber. Also now it won’t lock back on an empty mag. Try a second mag no go. So I put the old slide back on and now neither of the two mags I have will lock back when empty. To say I’m pissed is an understatement.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]
My LCP Max also shoots low. However, I figured out the sight picture. I need to see some of the slide in front of the front sight to get on target.

I don't care for the trigger but am slowly getting used to it. The Glock style trigger safety seems un-needed. There is a heavy WALL past the travel of the trigger safety. That Wall (or breaking point) is just as heavy as the LCP I had, that the Max replaced.

I wish that the LCP Max came in a Striker Fired version. I love my Ruger LC9s Pro. It's trigger is similar to a Glock trigger with a good reset.

LCP Max with my Glock 43X
Attachment Attached File

Ruger LC9s Pro
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#19]
My new MAX seems to shoot dead-on, at least to the limits of my abilities. I did notice that the trigger seems to "slap" my finger or something, because it hurts a bit, but not enough to matter. It shoots much better than any other pocket rocket I've shot, including the Beretta Pico it's replacing. The Pico is thinner, but harder to shoot well due to that thinness.

I actually seem to shoot the gun better with the shorter 10rd mags and wrapping my little finger under the grip.
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Does the LCP Max have a magazine disconnect safety?
Link Posted: 7/9/2023 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd never even considered that, so I just checked mine.

Nope. No mag disconnect/safety

Also I somehow loaded 11 rounds into the 10rd mag without realizing it, and it still cycled. So that's neat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:41:49 PM EDT
[#22]
My LCP Max doesn’t lock back on an empty magazine, whether it’s the 10 or 12 round variant. Ruger offered to bring it back in but I asked for them to send me a new slide, barrel, and recoil spring assembly first to see if that will remedy it, rather than dealing with the hassle of shipping it back. Is there any other parts I should have considered having them send out to replace to attempt to remedy this issue? Seems that maybe replacing the barrel and slide may help with the early issues folks were having with these shooting so low?
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine shot low too. I took down 3/4 of the front sight and its perfect now. Carry it every day.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine shot low too. I took down 3/4 of the front sight and its perfect now. Carry it every day.
View Quote

How do you file down a tritium sight?

@axl
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

How do you file down a tritium sight?

@axl
View Quote

Very carefully - there is still enough tritium left to be seen. Not as much, but more than enough. My shooting with this gun is room distance. Don't need a whole lot of front sight to do that
Link Posted: 8/21/2023 10:29:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Very carefully - there is still enough tritium left to be seen. Not as much, but more than enough. My shooting with this gun is room distance. Don't need a whole lot of front sight to do that
View Quote

Wait? You filed down the tube? The tube that contains the radioactive tritium?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top