Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2018 5:05:29 PM EDT
Was in the market for a reasonably compact 9mm and this one really grabbed my attention.  My buddy picked one up about a month ago and loves his.

Very cool pistol for the money, it really fits my hand well.  For a range/truck/nightstand or even winter carry gun I think one could do a whole lot worse.  Hope to shoot it next weekend and I’ll post some results.  As I said, so far I’m really liking what I see.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think i may get one also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:33:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I think Ruger has a good one on their hands.  I never could get the warm and fuzzies about the American line.  Even the Compact didn’t do much for me.  I really like the size and grip on the S9 though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:26:34 PM EDT
[#3]
How does it compare to others in your opinion?trigger,grip,weight,etc.. I'm very interested in the Security 9 as well. I'm concerned about possible corrosion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How does it compare to others in your opinion?trigger,grip,weight,etc.. I'm very interested in the Security 9 as well. I'm concerned about possible corrosion.
View Quote
Trigger is great.  Hard to describe, but just a bit of takeup, a wall, then it breaks.  Weight is almost identical to a Glock 19, like within an ounce.  The grip is where it shines for me.  I have medium sized hands and it’s just perfect.  I wouldn’t change it if I could.  Not trying to sound like a salesman, it’s just a well-executed gun for its price point.  I don’t like the safety, but it’s not really obtrusive.  You can really just ignore it.  Sights are meh but I’m sure options will exist soon.  Factory sights will be easy to replace.

Finish on the slide seems really tough.  Almost like nitride or even a Duracoat type coating.  May not be, but it’s tough.  Barrel finish is just bluing.

I don’t think you’ll have much to worry about from what I see.  But time will tell.

For $300-$340 it’s hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Trigger is great.  Hard to describe, but just a bit of takeup, a wall, then it breaks.  Weight is almost identical to a Glock 19, like within an ounce.  The grip is where it shines for me.  I have medium sized hands and it’s just perfect.  I wouldn’t change it if I could.  Not trying to sound like a salesman, it’s just a well-executed gun for its price point.  I don’t like the safety, but it’s not really obtrusive.  You can really just ignore it.  Sights are meh but I’m sure options will exist soon.  Factory sights will be easy to replace.

Finish on the slide seems really tough.  Almost like nitride or even a Duracoat type coating.  May not be, but it’s tough.  Barrel finish is just bluing.

I don’t think you’ll have much to worry about from what I see.  But time will tell.

For $300-$340 it’s hard to beat.
View Quote
Sounds like a winner. Keep us posted on what holster/mag holder you go with and what works.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Range trip today - fired about 100 rounds of Federal 115 grain ball, Remington 115 grain JHP and Monarch 124 grain JHP.

Absolutely zero malfunctions.  Slide locked back on all empty mags, all rounds fed and functioned perfectly as expected.

I need to adjust the sights just slightly to suit my shooting habits, but that’s on me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 1:40:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Got mine price matched at $289.....

I hope this is a good one and I think it will be.

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Got mine price matched at $289.....

I hope this is a good one and I think it will be.

View Quote
Damn, that is a hard to pass up price point.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just get one.  It will make a great all-around pistol.  Range toy, truck gun, loaner, CCW, bedside, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#10]
It just looks like a beefed up lc9s, which I like. Just my 2 cents, but Ruger has the best option of a thumb safety. It is small enough not to be obtrusive but you can engage it without any issue. I had a S&W Shield ( and Bodyguard) and hated the safety as it was not easy to access. I guess I am used to the 1911 type safety. I don't know how Ruger is able to sell their guns for so little,compared to other makers. Ruger makes a tough pistol that will last a good long time. I am getting more interested in these pistols all the time.

How many mags do these come with?
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It just looks like a beefed up lc9s, which I like. Just my 2 cents, but Ruger has the best option of a thumb safety. It is small enough not to be obtrusive but you can engage it without any issue. I had a S&W Shield ( and Bodyguard) and hated the safety as it was not easy to access. I guess I am used to the 1911 type safety. I don't know how Ruger is able to sell their guns for so little,compared to other makers. Ruger makes a tough pistol that will last a good long time. I am getting more interested in these pistols all the time.

How many mags do these come with?
View Quote
Comes with two mags.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine is @ the FFL. I'll stop by and retrieve it after I eat lunch today.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Got it !

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sweet.  What do you think?
View Quote
Feels like a solid gun, but that may be the weight. I like the grip - fits my hands good. The trigger is nicer than my Glock 17. I can see the sights really good - for my old eyes. The slide seems easy to manipulate to me, and I am hoping that will be the case for some females I know, but we'll see.

I probably won't get to shoot it until the weather clears up a bit. Looks like rain Saturday but there may be some hope for Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
a couple of more pictures in case anyone is interested..  a size comparison with my P95..
Attachment Attached File

Below is the weight fully loaded with 16 rounds, which is a good 6 oz. less than the P95 above fully loaded..
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 5:22:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn right.  Was leaning to a 2.0 9C,  But the S9 seriously has my attention.

Love my LCP2 and this looks like a beefed up version in 9 with a stagger stack magazine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Just got one. I am very impressed with it. The trigger on mine is very good. There is nothing even close at it's price. The only con to it is the sights, they suck and so far there is no real upgrade worth getting.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just got one. I am very impressed with it. The trigger on mine is very good. There is nothing even close at it's price. The only con to it is the sights, they suck and so far there is no real upgrade worth getting.
View Quote
Never shot a Canik TP series eh?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Have you all shot yours yet?  My uncle got one that groups about 6" at 20yards with several different shooters.  Ruger looked at it and said nothing wrong with it to use black hills pistol ammunition...
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:45:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have you all shot yours yet?  My uncle got one that groups about 6" at 20yards with several different shooters.  Ruger looked at it and said nothing wrong with it to use black hills pistol ammunition...
View Quote
LOL, sounds like the video of the 9E in a box to match trial where it was all over the place.  There have been issues in the past with Ruger Semi-Auto barrel accuracy
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
It’s not my most accurate pistol but mines not terrible.

Its not meant to be a target pistol.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll pick one up when they are $239 like Rugers tend to always gravitate towards
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Just picked one up at my LGS.  I paid $315.  Not as great as some online prices, but its out of stock everywhere, plus shipping and FFL brings it close or over $315 anyway.  On my way out to the back 40 to give it a whirl.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up one today and find I shoot it better offhand than rested. Accuracy is pretty good with factory ammo. I put a drop of oil in the hole in the back of the slide and the trigger got better! Best $256 I have spent on a gun so far.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 6:41:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Best $256 I have spent on a gun so far.
View Quote
how?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
how?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Best $256 I have spent on a gun so far.
how?
Wholesale cost.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
what's the current street price on these?

I don't need another G19/P-07 sized pistol but I've yet to hear a bad thing about these.

Guys who've had them for a little while have you had any issues with yours?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#30]
$269-279 shipped from Brownells with coupon they post every other day lately.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I checked one out last night and I really like it.

"In" for more AAR's
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine is my new truck gun. $268 at Academy. Have about 300 rounds of various brands/bullet types through it no hiccups.

I also like the grips as I have medium sized hands.

Also own P95, SR9/45/E, and EC9s so very familiar w Ruger pistols.

Bought a couple of extra mags and a leather OWB pancake holster as well.

I think it shoots much like the SR series.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top