Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2013 12:57:40 PM EDT
Picked up a Ruger SR22 with 3 mags for $300 the other week. Guy had bought it for his wife who turned out to not be interested. Said he only fired a single 100 round box through it and my inspection would concur that it was barely fired.

Took it out Sunday to run it through the paces and see how it was.

Grip was very comfortable. Controls are all easy to use and worked as intended and take down is a breeze. Only dislike is the reverse direction safety. Flipping up to fire is different for me and took a little getting used to.

First magazine at 15 yards, 10 rounds in a very tight group but all high (4-5 inches high). Couple quick turns on the rear sight, next magazine, regular fire standing, not bothering to really slow fire for accuracy saw about a 2 inch group right around the bulls. This gun is definitely more than accurate enough for its intended purpose.

We proceeded to run 500 rounds of mixed ammo through it. Federal bulk, Federal Auto Match, Winchester bulk, Winchester M22, Blazer bulk, Remington Yellow Jacket, Winchester HPs and CCI Mini Mags. All of them functioned smoothly. The only feed issue occurred when seating the magazine. When I gave it a good ram home (giggity) the top round would pop up between the feed lips which wouldn't allow the slide to come forward and feed the round. So I just eased up on seating the mags and it wasn't an issue for the rest of the day.

I often carry a Sig P226 so I was very comfortable with the DA/SA function. The DA trigger pull was a little long/heavy for my liking, especially for a 22, but it wasn't so bad as to ever detract from the shooting experience. The SA pull was just fine. Not amazing, but certainly not bad. Was just fine, exactly what I expected out of this firearm.

I heard from a couple people that just releasing the slide release may not fully chamber the round but that was no issue. Used it all day and it worked all the time.

We had a couple FTFs, they did not fire on the second trigger pull, and did not fire when put into a 10/22 after that. I believe they were all either Blazer bulk or Federal bulk, so I am putting those on the ammo.

We shot a lot of steel plates varying between 10-15 yards. With very little firing time everyone (myself, a friend and my wife) were all pinging the plates in rapid succession. My friend does not own a hand gun and my wife has not fired a hand gun in probably about a year or more. Both were operating the controls smoothly and consistently after only a couple mags each.

Final conclusion. Great little training/fun gun. Very reliable even on the cheapest bulk. More than accurate enough to have a good time and to get hits on targets out a little ways. Great ergonomics. Looks like it would be a fantastic little gun to put new people/kids behind with its ease of use and low recoil. I believe it will help get my wife out shooting with me more often as well. Absolute winner, no regrets on this purchase.

Link Posted: 4/28/2013 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I won an Auction that I forgot I bid on for mine, $265... I really like the pistol and so does everyone that shoots it. It's a good size for the grand-kids too. I have about 3K of Federals through it without any problems. Nice find, good price too. Hope you've got lots of 22LR stocked up, it's a fun gun to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2013 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Add the threaded barrel and it makes an outstanding suppressor host, too!

I love mine. Problem is, so does my wife. I fear I'm about to have to buy another so I can have one.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 3:40:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I finally found one with the threaded bbl, should get here Monday. Going to replace my P22 if its as good as everyone says. My P22 has been surprisingly reliable but the pot metal slide and ridiculous assembly requiring either a tool or the holding the guide rod trick was getting old. It has been a great suppressor gun, hopefully the Ruger will be better. I haven't been able to find any mags yet. Seems they are back ordered everywhere. Id prefer to have at least five more than the 2 it comes with. Once I get that issue resolved and I like it the Walther is going to be put away.
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Got mine in, threw on the can and it ate several mags of Remington subsonic with no issues. This is the gun Walther should have built. It's much better than the P22!
Link Posted: 5/6/2013 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My friend has one and we have put 1000s of bulk ammo through it and have only had a handful of malfunctions... its a great pistol and the only 22 auto I consider reliable based on my experiences with other designs. Its such a simple gun, but the only thing I don't like is the DA pull, but not a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I really like my SR22. IMHO it is exactly what the Sig Mosquito and the Walther P22 both should have been
Link Posted: 5/8/2013 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently picked up a threaded barrel SR22. While I like almost everything about the pistol, the reverse safety is something that bugs me. With my grip, I've already inadvertently pushed the safety down a few times during shooting. Otherwise, everything else is perfect.
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 11:33:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Traded in my Walther P22 a while back for an SR22 and I love it.  IMO it beats out the P22 in every way.  The only thing I did was swap out the plastic guide rod for a stainless steel guide rod assembly from Galloway Precision.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I love mine. My buddy liked it a lot so he got one too. Only ammo I ever seem to have an issue with so far is Winchester bulk ( the kind that comes in 333/555). And even then, its only when the gun starts getting dirty. As long as its wet and clean, it's good to go for awhile. My buddy's seems to malfunction more than mine, but I attribute that to him not really taking care of it and cleaning it properly. One day it kept jamming and he was confused so I sprayed some WD-40 in the slide (all I had on hand, we were not at the range.) and it instantly started working fine. Just told him to be sure to properly clean it later so the WD40 didn't gum it up.

It's also fairly accurate. I need to adjust my sites for my eyes/style, I seem to shoot left a lot. But other people seem to use it just fine. At 15 yards, I put 5/10 in the head of a silhouette target. Good enough for me
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I got one for my wife.  Nice little gun.  Fun to shoot and pretty accurate.  We've fed a couple of thousand rounds through it (most of it bulk ammo) with only 1 malfunction.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice, would like to get one.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Great gun , my wife loves hers
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Great gun , my wife loves hers

Great gun. My wife loves mine. Guess what, now I have to buy another because mine is no longer mine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Mine is going back to Ruger. Bought it new 3 weeks ago and the thing was amazing, went through 300 rounds with not a single problem on its first outing. Gave it a light cleaning and went through another almost 250 rds, with only one misfire.

Then the problems started at first with just one of the mags. The pistol would fire a round or maybe five and the trigger would not reset. The trigger would just flop around with the hammer stuck in the middle of its stroke. I could not remove the mag using the release buttons. I had to stick my finger through the top of the open slide and push the mag out from the top. The pistol would not reset, even after racking the slide and working the safety/decocker up and down. I inserted the other mag and the trigger reset.

It then functioned normally with the "good" mag for about 80 or so rounds and then it started. No trigger reset,stuck mag.

I returned the mags to Ruger.. They sent me a letter saying to call their customer service tech support dept. to make arrangements to send the pistol in to have the mag disconnect changed. UGhh...

I really wanted to take this pistol with me so I could enjoy it with my family and friends on the 4th of July holiday.

These still are great pistols! My friends pistols work perfectly and have never missed a beat. I guess I just got one with a bad mag disconnect. I will still continue to recommend the SR22 to anybody who is interested because it is so fun and works great when everything is right.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Mine is going back to Ruger. Bought it new 3 weeks ago and the thing was amazing, went through 300 rounds with not a single problem on its first outing. Gave it a light cleaning and went through another almost 250 rds, with only one misfire.

Then the problems started at first with just one of the mags. The pistol would fire a round or maybe five and the trigger would not reset. The trigger would just flop around with the hammer stuck in the middle of its stroke. I could not remove the mag using the release buttons. I had to stick my finger through the top of the open slide and push the mag out from the top. The pistol would not reset, even after racking the slide and working the safety/decocker up and down. I inserted the other mag and the trigger reset.

It then functioned normally with the "good" mag for about 80 or so rounds and then it started. No trigger reset,stuck mag.

I returned the mags to Ruger.. They sent me a letter saying to call their customer service tech support dept. to make arrangements to send the pistol in to have the mag disconnect changed. UGhh...

I really wanted to take this pistol with me so I could enjoy it with my family and friends on the 4th of July holiday.

These still are great pistols! My friends pistols work perfectly and have never missed a beat. I guess I just got one with a bad mag disconnect. I will still continue to recommend the SR22 to anybody who is interested because it is so fun and works great when everything is right.

Thanks for the post. A friend of mine is having similar problems with his new SR22. Specifically, the trigger will often fail to reset after firing.

We have been trying to trouble shoot the problem but I will suggest he call Ruger CS tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the post. A friend of mine is having similar problems with his new SR22. Specifically, the trigger will often fail to reset after firing.

We have been trying to trouble shoot the problem but I will suggest he call Ruger CS tomorrow.

I just paid for a new sr22 (live in a blue state so i have to wait some arbitrary number of days before i can take possession), and i am very interested to see how these 2 customers do with getting their issues resolved please keep us informed.
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Guys,
I talked to Shawn at Ruger last week about mine to get the specifics. A very nice guy he is. Mine is back at Ruger in AZ. as I type this getting the mag. disconnect replaced. I will update when my pistol returns to me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Got my SR22 back on Monday. Ruger replaced the magazine disconnect and repaired the breech block. They had the pistol a total of only six days! I'm very impressed with how Ruger handled my problem. Also sent me a free cleaning cloth.

I've not yet had the chance to shoot it yet so I'll post back after this weekend and put up a pic or two. Ruger test fired it with 40 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. I can tell you that the magazines lock into place much more easily than before. Before it went back I would insert a magazine into the pistol and it would kind of bounce back a bit not locking into place on the first try or three sometimes.

Cant wait to shoot it.

Link Posted: 10/17/2013 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]
i have fired plenty of rounds through my Sr22 and i have to say i love it, and it's very reliable with the exception of this 1 box of remmington ammo i have that i still have yet to find a .22lr gun to cycle properly with so i will chalk that up to junk ammo.

on a side note.  my wifes brand new kahr CM9 is malfunctioning badly and cost me $60 in "break in" ammo and another $60 to ship it back to Kahr for them to look at it.  I asked them for a return label and they told me to pound sand.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Got my SR22 back on Monday. Ruger replaced the magazine disconnect and repaired the breech block. They had the pistol a total of only six days! I'm very impressed with how Ruger handled my problem. Also sent me a free cleaning cloth.

I've not yet had the chance to shoot it yet so I'll post back after this weekend and put up a pic or two. Ruger test fired it with 40 rounds of CCI Mini Mags. I can tell you that the magazines lock into place much more easily than before. Before it went back I would insert a magazine into the pistol and it would kind of bounce back a bit not locking into place on the first try or three sometimes.

Cant wait to shoot it.

View Quote

Same exact thing happened to mine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:08:35 AM EDT
[#21]
If you like the SR22 pistol, then do yourself a favor and get the SR-22 rifle. Add a few BX25 magazines, a brick of cheap bullets, and you've got more fun than you can handle.

My wife's first ever shooting trip.
http://youtu.be/EXaPBrQzqo4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top