Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2008 1:21:35 PM EDT
I checked Wolff Springs site and I found the recoil springs but they direct you towards Colt springs for the magazines. Are these for government length magazines? If so which one am I suppose to buy? I'd like to upgrade my stock Kimber magazine to make the spring as stiff as my 2 Kimpro Tac magazines.Surprising to some is that my Kimber mags are fine with the stock followers, but the original magazine that came with the gun has a spring that is weaker in comparison to the Kimpros. I want to buy both springs at once to save on shipping.

Also is there an easy way or at least a how-to on replacing the spring in a magazine with a welded on base plate?
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The Colt Recoil springs work well. When you are on the Wolff site, go by the Kimber Ultra Carry springs and it will redirect you to the Colt. They are about 1/2 an inch longer on the inner and outer spring, but still fit [for the extra power springs]. It is however rather difficult to replace. The slide acts smoother now and slams the cartridge into battery. I am hoping the extra power springs will last. It also comes with a firing pin spring. I thought this was a nice bonus. One thing I noticed, when I locked back the slide and dropped the release without a mag, the hammer dropped to half cock as well. I tested again a few times and got the same results once with the hammer dropping TO FULL. Had there been a cartridge.... But I also think that when the mag is inserted and the slide is stripping a cartridge from the mag, it should slow the cycle enough so that it won't drop the hammer... Heading for the range to test. I hope that this mod is not at fault. I really prefer the feel of the extra power springs and trust them a whole lot more than the factory. YMMV, just my own limited experience.

Can't comment on the mag springs. I purchased Wilsons and like them, except they stick out a little bit.

My dad replaced his on a Colt Officers, he stuck a small rod on the side hole while the spring was compressed so that the top came out easily.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top