Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2002 10:15:41 AM EDT
the lead core out of the lightest jhp's available for a given caliber. I propane torch will suffice, and so will a coffee can set directly on the gas flame of a kitchen stove. Flux the mix good, or some lead will cling to to the copper jackets. Replace the lead with metal-bearing epoxy, use a .22lr's  powder charge as a "booster", then be sure to comress the remaining powder charge with the bullet, or the powders can mix, doing away with the booster advantage, and perhaps even becoming dangerous. Work up the loads .5 gr at a time, with the stocks off of the gun, the mag out and while wearing heavy welder's gloves. After each test shot, use a good mike to check for case bulging, and carefully check out the case rim and the primer for burring, leaking, being loose, etc. At the first sign of pressures, back off .5 gr. That's your max safe load for that slug, in those cases, in that gun, using that primer, and powder. Then chronograph it. You will be amazed at how easy it is to exceed 2000 fps with carry-autos.  Once you get the optimal powder, it is simply a matter of casting some swc's out of zinc, and transforming them into( 3 segment) prefrags. They will weigh the same as the epoxy-cored bullets do, can be driven just as fast, and they will break apart at impact. You will then have the optimal carry load in that gun. If you live in one of the states that requires a "lead core" for handgun bullets, simply epoxy a small birdshot pellet into the large, deep hollowbase that I recommend that you add to such (hp'd) slugs. Above 2000 fps, the  temporary cavity becomes capable of tearing tissues that have been weakened by multiple perforations. So even tho these slugs don't QUITE match (muzzle) velocities of the 223, their larger frontal area and this prefrag effect make up the difference. Hitting like a 223 softpoint is quite a feat for a lw Commander, but it can be done by anyone who has a couple of evenings to spend upon r and D.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
And what exactly does this have to specificly do with Kimbers?
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:06:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing he's a
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
...hmmmm...
making your own self-defense ammo!
sounds great! i wonder how the jury of my peers will view this when i go to trial!
i'd guess jett3 and i have friends on the other side waiting for our "hand"gunning "ass"ets...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top