Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2003 1:45:37 AM EDT
I have been thinking about getting a 1911 from Kimber.  I know LAPD SWAT chose it, but I was wondering if the custom classic is a good choice, or should I go for a higher end Kimber.  Any and all opiniions welcome.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on what you'd be using it for.  Most of their higher end guns have adjustable sights.  Not really necessary on a carry gun.  Id stick with the classic for carry or self defense.  Especially if you want to put tritiums in it.  Even on the high end fixed sight models, you are mostly paying for front strap checkering and a mag well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, it's for carry/defense.  I never liked adjustable sights, so fixed night sights are what I am looking for exactly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Id get the stainless classic then, especially living in a state with humidity like AL
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the Classic now, you can always cutomize later.
Thie started out as a basic blued Custom Classic.
I checkered it, added some custom parts, Brown ambi, S&A magwell, etc..
Had BO-MARS installed.
I sent it to METALIFE for refinishing.
I'm very happy with it.

Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#5]
i have one, have not done any modifications to it. it shoots great and i really like it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for the basic Kimber Classic. You wont be sorry you bought it ,later you can up-grade what you feel needs to be done to it for your liking . Good luck

HapPy NeW YeAr
Jerry
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that all Kimbers are now stainless blue = blackened stainless. I think I got the info from American Handguner, The story about L.A.P.D. swat. I would chose blued but that's me.
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry Elite which is a custom shop version from a couple of years ago. I have run thousands of round through it with not even a hit of trouble. I highly recommend the custom shop firearms, some $500 savings if you purchased a stock gun then had all the bells and whistles added later.  Best features are the excellent trigger, melt down or smoothed edges...all of them, and night sights. I always add a Hogue rubber grip, much easier to control and easier on one's hand from recoil.
Link Posted: 1/8/2003 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Lumpy....front checkering? put on a hogue wraparound grip...man does it fit my hand good.Don't need adjustable sights.I just changed mine to 3 dot.They shoot just fine right outta the box....good luck on whatever you choose.Good choice on Kimber.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top