Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:04:10 AM EDT
does anyone think that a full size variant 1 is too big for ccw?
anyone ever done it before? what comments do you have to share
is it that much easyer to carry a compact?
i just love the way the full size feels and shoots but have no experience with the compact
it just seems a little to small to shoot well if its in .45acp
what do you guys have to say?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I personally prefer compact/mid size pistols for ccw.  Many people successfully carry full size pistols.  More power to 'em.  I find the compacts to be a lot more comfortable and for me they stay concealed better when I'm sitting down.

I've tried carrying a full size USP and it didn't work for me.  I prefer to carry the USP Compact or Glock 23.  I'm about 5'9 / 220 -- a lot of this is going to depend on your body shape / size.

It's not really about the girth, it's about the length for me (yeah yeah, gay jokes, etc.)  The longer ones stick down further and make sitting uncomfortable, and they make my draw slower because I have to get the longer slide to clear the holster (more pulling "up" as part of my draw.)

If I was you, I'd try carrying it and see how it works for you.  You may love it.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:43:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I carry mine with an X2 laser light.  Not comfortable but not too bad.  I was using an IWB holster except there isn't one that I've found that would take it with the X2 Laser on an adapter.  Ended up using my SmartCarry which I use for my PM9 and it worked great.  I got the SmartCarry where it has a large undivided pocket in the back which it fits in.  I can carry 1 mag in the front.  Plust with the Variant 1, I don't have to worry about blowing my nuts off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:35:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I carry mine OWB in a Wild Bill's rig.  It is a large gun but it's never been a problem per se.  I think that careful holster selection is key.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys who carry them carry them c&l?  If so do you use the bobbed hammer?

I get hammer spurs snagging me when I try to carry the full size.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do you guys who carry them carry them c&l?  If so do you use the bobbed hammer?

I get hammer spurs snagging me when I try to carry the full size.

i dont....something about it not being a 1911 that makes me kinda leary of carrying it C-L

i tried it CCW at work onc---too big, so i decided to carry it OWB

its not a 'little small'--its got a shorter bbl than the FS 1911, but its got a lot wider grip

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are not fat and can keep it totally concealed, go for it.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top