Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2002 5:35:01 PM EDT
I have heard stories from a local police armorer (they use fulsize usp .40's) that usp's have a problem with corrosion around the firing pin area. Has anyone heard about or experienced this ??  I checked both of my usp's and no problems.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Just clean the gun after you shoot it and it won't ever be a problem.  Most cops tend to shoot their guns only when they have to for training/qualification.  Then they rarely clean them afterwards.  Residue from the primer attracts moisture and rust forms (this is not the same as a corrosive primer, powder residue does the same thing).  

If rust forms anywhere on a gun, that's not sign of a bad gun. It's a sign of poor operator maintenance.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 8:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Let me ask just how would you clean the firing pin.

I just got my USP a little while ago. I would think you would just wipe aroung the hole where the firing pin protrudes.

After reading this thread, i've considered putting a bit of Hoppes 9 in the hole, letting it sit for a minute then flushing it with oil.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I assumed from SPECTRE's post that he was talking of the area around the firing pin hole, i.e. the breechface.  This is a place alot of people just forget to clean because they don't think it gets dirty, but it does.

You're method of cleaning the firing pin sounds as good as any I've heard.  There's a spring in there, and obviously the pin moves, so you want to have some lube in there as well.  Drop some solvent in there, then clean some other part, then just come back to it and put some oil in there.  I wouldn't get too carried away with it.  If you get a bunch of oil in there it will spray back into your face when you fire the first few rounds.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
None of my HK's have a rust problem. In the nice humid salty FL air, if a gun is going to rust, you will know it very qickly here.
Page Handguns » H&K
Top Top