Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 3:57:44 PM EDT
Hello all:

I usually haunt the AR and AK sides, but I need the guidance of the Colt wheelgun Gurus

My partner is willing to sell me his late father-in-law's Python bequeathed to him. He said it was his duty gun but you could not tell by looking at it.
The blueing looks great (98-99%), vent rib, smooth action. The only downside (if you can call it that) is it does not have the original grips, I think. These are finger grooved with no Colt markings.

Can you tell me the value of this gun? I want to give a fair price, but not get taken.
If not, can you steer me to a forum/group that can tell me more?
Thanks,
Alex
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#1]
pythons I see are in the $700-800 range in origonal condition
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
After some further research and inspection, I have good news/bad news:

The good news is according to some sites I have an early Python in that my 5 digit ser.#   has no letters, it starts with (26XXX).

The bad news is I am guessing it has been reblued, because the "rampant Colt" is not stamped sharp and deep, almost like it is wearing away. Couple this with an unusually good blueing for its age...

Still.... what say the experts?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
26XXX was made in 1963.
The year started at 24800 and ended at 30799.

This qualifies as a genuine "early" Python, and prices on the earlier guns are higher EXCEPT if re-blued.

ID-ing a re-blue can be tough, especially if Colt did it.
It's not unusual to see light stamps on some guns, so that "might" not be a good indication of a re-blue.

Take a look at the other stamps and check for slight raised "ridges" around the markings.
When a gun is roll-marked, the pressure of the die forces metal up around the marks, leaving a slightly raised border around it.
Polishing during a re-blue polishes the ridges off, leaving the mark smoother.

An early 60's Python will have the old, higher polished blue job.  This was the finest bluing ever done on a production firearm.
This looks totally different than other bluing, and can be recognized by a brilliant mirror-like deep BLUE color.
It's MUCH shinier than other bluing, and when clean glitters like a blue mirror.
Sharp edges and corners will be sharp, and all flats will show NO waves or ripples.

With all that said, Colt has quietly said that the Colt double action revolver is no more.
They have permanently discontinued the Anaconda and Python and have no plans to make DA revolvers again, certainly NOT the Python.

The news of this has hit, and Pythons at gun shows that WERE tagged at $800 to $1000, are now tagged at $1400 AND UP......... and are SELLING at those prices.

Personally, considering that this is probably a re-blue, based on the nice appearance and the fact that it was a duty gun, I'd offer $600 to $800.
This is based on actual condition, AND on whether it's in proper time and adjustment.
Even an early Python's value is pretty well reduced to "ordinary Python" by a re-blue.

If you ever want a Python, this might be a good way to get an early model with it's better fit and finish, even if it has been re-blued, as long as the re-blue is a quality job.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:45:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you Dfariswheel for that info.

I really do not know. The Colt is as  stated, but the barrel markings like "Python 357" etc. are light stamped  as well, but are perfect.
If it is a re-blue, it's a pretty darn good job.

One observation: the hammer is NOT blued, it is polished steel (or chrome), except for the thumb spur, which IS blued.
Is this normal or a sign of a reblue?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thank you Dfariswheel for that info.

I really do not know. The Colt is as  stated, but the barrel markings like "Python 357" etc. are light stamped  as well, but are perfect.
If it is a re-blue, it's a pretty darn good job.

One observation: the hammer is NOT blued, it is polished steel (or chrome), except for the thumb spur, which IS blued.
Is this normal or a sign of a reblue?

Just buy it already!!!!  It's a Python and there will be NO MORE Pythons....NONE...ZERO.....the days of the Python, Diamondback and Anaconda are GONE.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:17:25 AM EDT
[#6]
OK you talked me into it

He wants 500 bucks for it. Sounds like a deal.
Can't wait to go to the range with it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK you talked me into it

He wants 500 bucks for it. Sounds like a deal.
Can't wait to go to the range with it.

That's not a deal

IT'S A STEAL!!

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Hammer sides are polished bright, the spur blued.

For $500 if you DON'T buy it, you need your head examined.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hammer sides are polished bright, the spur blued.

For $500 if you DON'T buy it, you need your head examined.

Amen.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:11:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't worry, it's in my greedy little hands now.
This was passed down to my partner from his father-in law Tony, also a copper who served for 39 years and was highly decorated.
My partner said  Tony  and he had a great relationship, and he gave him the Python after he retired,  telling him to sell it and buy a guitar (my partner is a great musician).  Although he took good care of his guns like a professional that he was, Tony thought of them no more than tools to do his job.
Since my partner knew that Tony was not attached to the gun, he saw no problem selling it to me since he is not a gun enthusiast either, and he knows it would go to a good home.
Sadly, Tony passed away before I can ask him of his time on the streets of Chicago. If that Python could talk
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Rather strangely, the Python seemed to be unusually popular with Chicago cops.

It was always an expensive gun, and most cops just couldn't or wouldn't afford one.
For some reason, the Python was seen in Chicago cops holsters more than almost any other department.

Enjoy, you now own the finest production DA revolver ever made.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top