Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2005 5:59:34 PM EDT
on the slide it says "Governmet model Colt 45 automatic caliber" with the horse logo. All of it isn't deeply struck but rather light. on the other side it says colt mfgs. hartford ct. usa. On the receiver it has a G made into a circle with "JM" in the middle, this is just above the magazine release. It also says "United states property" on the receiver near the slide. The mainspring housing is flat. It's well worn and looks like the last owner multilated it in various places such as bringing a rough file to the mag-well, put bo-mar micro sights on and filed the top of the slide abit. The barrel bushing, barrel, receiver all have mis-matched serial numvers. Barrel and bushing have "N M" markings but the receiver doesn't. I'll supply pictures if nesscary, but can't be arsed to right now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you want to know? Sounds like a typical GI 1911 (not a 1911-A1) that's been modified.  The marks on the frame are a government inspector mark.  In this case it's Lt. Col. J.M. Gilbert.  Do the sights say "Bo-Mar", or do they say "Micro"?  Or, do they have neither name?  Are there any markings like"AF" or something else on the sights?  Are there any modifications to the frontstrap, such as stippling or checkering?

It's possible you have an Army or Air Force match conversion.  The mismatched numbers are typical on these.  The barrel will have one number on the hood (at the ejection port), another number on the bushing, and yet another number for a serial number on the frame.  

So, as the old saying goes, this thread is worthless without pics.  It sounds like an interesting gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5586/colt0lh.jpg

I hope this works.

RE: so it does work!

The sights say "Micro" in script.

Front strap is However
I want to know if it's a real ww2 sidearm or replica as well as it's history if you can. I wouldn't mind an estimated value either. I paied 686.00 after tax for it and don't ever plan on selling it, shoots like a dream. Seriously! I spent so long looking for a colt that isn't a series 80.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I certainly don't know much about military 1911s.  It looks like an Army National Match conversion.  The frontstrap is indeed the part covered by the grips.  If you can, see if there are a ton of those same punch marks, or stippling, like those on mainspring housing.  

As far as value, I couldn't even begin to guess.  I'm sure someone here will have an idea.  I'll check with one of my collector friends.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I see on your gun:

The frame is a 1911 frame as made from 1912 to 1927.  

The front sight is an odd design, blade-on-a-ramp design, which has probably been further modified from a Patridge target design to a less sharp design for holster carry.

The slide is a later Colt Commercial slide, NOT a military slide.

The hammer is a post-WWII commercial hammer.

The grip safety is a later 1911-A1 longer tang model.

The mainspring housing, magazine catch, and trigger appear to be original 1911 parts.

The slide stop is a later version.

It's unlikely this was a Military National Match gun.
It appears to be a standard 1911 pistol with a new slide and upper unit installed, and some parts in the lower replaced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:46:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Here's what I see on your gun:

The frame is a 1911 frame as made from 1912 to 1927.  

The front sight is an odd design, blade-on-a-ramp design, which has probably been further modified from a Patridge target design to a less sharp design for holster carry.

The slide is a later Colt Commercial slide, NOT a military slide.

The hammer is a post-WWII commercial hammer.

The grip safety is a later 1911-A1 longer tang model.

The mainspring housing, magazine catch, and trigger appear to be original 1911 parts.

The slide stop is a later version.

It's unlikely this was a Military National Match gun.
It appears to be a standard 1911 pistol with a new slide and upper unit installed, and some parts in the lower replaced.

Though I agree with your assessment of some of the parts, the front sight is a dead ringer for some of the Army National Match guns, and many of those were cobbled together from varous guns, to include using commercial slides.  If I can find it, I have a pic somewhere of an Army NM gun with that exact sight and a commercial slide, but someone has painted red on Flashbombs.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Front strap is indeed stippled as the back was. The slide, it looks as if someone took a file to the previous sights, milled them off and made it flat so they could install that onto it.

Hobbs is most likely right, if i assume correct "N M" stands for national match. It has this on the bushing and barrel. When i took the grips off there was another serial number scraped onto the receiver under it that resembles scrapes from a crude drill bit/dremel. The receiver has alot of weird markings, one that was "T H" or " T T" i couldn't really tell, among some other things on the inside.

I'm debating on restoring it, but with how well it shoots and since it has hand-made stippling added, i'm not too sure if it'd worth it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a pistol exactly like yours a few years ago, but not nearly as in good shape.  I mean exactly. Same frame, slide, barrel, stipling, the works.

This was a popular bullseye gun when military guns were cheap. I was told the commercial slides are much harder and were preferred for the custom builds back then. I don't know if these were military or just the "in" thing years ago. I have seen two other guns just like mine. Yours makes the fourth.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:54:21 AM EDT
[#8]
 Looks more like a goat fuck than a proper Pony.  Give her some TLC...I'll bet you can save her from going out to pasture!!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:15:32 PM EDT
[#9]
lmao...... goat fuck.... har har. No really. Functionality and reliablity>Looks anyday. I can shoot an altoids box to shreds at 50 yards out with it. So fun to shoot and even more accurate, feeds even the crappiest of ammos.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
great old mismatch colt.id have it profesionaly nickel plated and replace the paycmar wrap arounds.i dont like wraparound grips on most auto pistols but i hate them on 1911 style pistols.i even lost the defender fingered wrap around.but with a nice finish that bad boy would be very nice indeed.if not nickel then hard chrome or even a good epoxy finish(PROFESIONAL PLEASE,not crylon or rustolium)
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top