Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 10:02:40 AM EDT
I called Colt customer service this past week trying to source spare recoil springs for the M45A1 and was told that they are not available at this time.  Hopefully wolff spring will come up with an after market set with the correct spring rates for the double springs.

From what I have read from other sources, the spring life for the m45a1 is between 5000 and 8000 rounds.  I still like to change all my pistol recoil springs out at 2000-2500 rounds ymmv.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What did you expect from a gun company in Connecticut?  I love the gun, (with the exception of no front strap checkering) but have long realized that Colt is way behind other companies in terms of service and innovation...
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What did you expect from a gun company in Connecticut? I love the gun, (with the exception of no front strap checkering) but have long realized that Colt is way behind other companies in terms of service and innovation...
View Quote

What does Connecticut have to do with anything?  Just up the river in Springfield, S&W has excellent customer service in an arguable worse-off state.  

Not to mention Ruger, with possibly the best service in the industry.....Southport, CT......right where Bill started it.

OP, first call the Colt Custom Shop and check with them. (it's their product).  Then ask Colt to backorder the part for you.  Call them every 30-45 days to check again to see if they are in.  In the meantime shoot, and enjoy the gun.  The spring is a low production number for a low production gun, and most parts are likely going to the USMC.  However, now that the M45A1 is a normally cataloged item, I'd expect the springs to have more availability.  

And personally, I think changing the spring every 2000-2500 rounds is a bit ridiculous.  Don't take that personally, but Colt has been building these guns for over 100 years.  Try listening to their suggested maintenance schedule instead of making up your own.  But I can't fault you for wanting to stay on top of it, or have spare consumables around.  Thats commendable.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#3]
good idea about the custom shop. I've got a good feeling about that approach.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd put at least 10K on that spring.

I have seen plain 'ol Wolff conventional springs go over 10K and still be functioning fine.  

Recoil springs don't protect anything in a 1911.   Keep shooting.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I had the same experience when I needed replacement grip screws for a Colt New Agent (which are nonstandard).  I called Colt customer service because they were not in inventory on their webstore.  I explained that I had damaged one and needed a replacement to reassemble the pistol.  The customer service agent said that they were out of stock, but that he would gladly go out on the production floor and grab me a couple of sets to complete my order.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top