Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2002 3:07:32 PM EDT
Hi,
  i want to install a Wilson Combat grip safety on my recently purchased 1911.  wich one should I install, the drop in or the real thing ??

thanks!

Kid2223
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your confidence and skill level. Often even the drop in's need to be "tuned".
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 2:29:18 AM EDT
[#2]

A grip safety has to be fitted to be sure that it does indeed prevent the trigger from moving when it not depressed.

I had the Smith and Alexander model installed on my Gold Cup and like it fine.  I would have gone with the newer padded version if it were around back when I did mine.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.... those reply's of yours helped a lot.  I'm very confident in my machining and fitting skills since I'm a mechanical engineering technician and engineer to be! I don't worry about that!  Since even the "drop-in" needs some fitting I ordered the one that needs a radius cut on the frame!!

Once again, Thanks guys!

kid223
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know how it turns out
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Parts will be ordered from Brownells soon.  I have to get an IIC (International Importation Certificate) first.  Form was sent yesterday and it will be approoved and sent back to me in 3 to 4 days.  Only after that, I can Call Brownells..  During that time, I'll work on the gun.  Yesterday I fitted a Checkred mag well and I lapped the slide/frame with 9 microns alliminum oxyde and wather.  Action is extremely smooth now!!

Kid223
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Stupid permit is not in yet.  Damn !

kid223
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 4:31:54 PM EDT
[#7]
still waiting
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got the parts from Brownells after 2 months of waiting!  It was worth the wait!

Started fitting the grip safety ( wilson Combat ) this evening....Will do the final fitting tomorow!  A couple of digital pics were taken by a friend.  I'll share them with you guys when I recieve them!

Kid223
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top