Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2008 3:31:33 AM EDT
 I was wondering if anyone owned a Taurus hammerless .38 snubnose that they used for carry in warm weather. I'm looking for a good pocket gun and weighing out my options. The SW 442/642's have the advantage of being lightweight but are also more money. I prefer steel over alloy even if it is a little heavier for carry. The gun doesn't haven't have to be restricted to pocket carry - I just need something more compact then my G19 for summer weather. (Already looked at the G26, Kel-Tec, Kahr, and other compact semiauto pistols - too small for my hands).

I've never owned a Taurus but used to have a Rossi .38 which was a reliable little gun. Thoughts?

The Taurus 850SS looks like a good little gun - and I hear the Taurus triggers are much better then those on SW Airweights.
Link Posted: 3/29/2008 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm picking up the same revolver in a few weeks for pocket carry, and have been wondering the same thing.  I know a lot of guys that carry 642's also, and figured the 850 couldn't be that much different.  

Anybody carry one??
Link Posted: 4/1/2008 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the old CH85 that was my wifes, but I need to send it back to Taurus to get it fixed. The cyclinder wont close and it wont cycle. This has been the only Taurus pistol that has given me any trouble.............so far.
Link Posted: 4/7/2008 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, if I was looking for an all steel pocket gun I'd go with a 605/650 over the 85/850. If you're going to carry the weight you may as well make it worthwhile and carry .357 Mag. instead of .38

My 605CHSS with DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster:

Link Posted: 4/10/2008 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the 850 blued model.  Its not that bad of a pocket gun, although I think it pulls at your pants a little.  I prefer to carry it in a CTAC IWB holster.  Its much more concealable than my 1911 in warmer weather.  

My only complaint is that the rubber grips stick to my shirt, but that can be easily resolved with a swap out for wood grips.
Link Posted: 4/19/2008 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 I was wondering if anyone owned a Taurus hammerless .38 snubnose that they used for carry in warm weather. I'm looking for a good pocket gun and weighing out my options. The SW 442/642's have the advantage of being lightweight but are also more money. I prefer steel over alloy even if it is a little heavier for carry. The gun doesn't haven't have to be restricted to pocket carry - I just need something more compact then my G19 for summer weather. (Already looked at the G26, Kel-Tec, Kahr, and other compact semiauto pistols - too small for my hands).

I've never owned a Taurus but used to have a Rossi .38 which was a reliable little gun. Thoughts?

The Taurus 850SS looks like a good little gun - and I hear the Taurus triggers are much better then those on SW Airweights.

WIth your screen name you just have to get the 642 J frame Smith & Wesson    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top