Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2022 12:06:27 AM EDT
About 3 weeks ago I bought a Taurus G2C. Had a couple of failure to feed in less than a hundred rounds.  I had not cleaned it prior to shooting it.  Took it home and cleaned and polished the ramp.  It has been 100% since then.

Friday I bought a G2S slimline. I just put a few drops of oil on slide rails, barrel hood and barrel.  Fired 100 rounds of FMJ and some Winchester 115 grain silver tips and Remington 115 grain JHP. Flawless.  Going to order a fixed rear sight for it.  It is very accurate. I was hitting a 3 inch dot target at 12 yards.  

I am seriously now doubting all the horror stories of Taurus pistols.  
Full disclosure.  I also have a 856 and 605 revolvers.  No problems with either ones.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
There's a lot of shit talk about Taurus on here. 15-20 years ago I wouldn't have taken some of their semi auto pistols for free. They got a new president about 10 years ago and things have DRASTICALLY improved. I sold a fair number of G2Cs out of the shop over the last 6 years or so. I own a G2C that has been flawless through 4k rounds since 2017.
I did add fiber optic sights though as I see them better. I don't like trigger safeties so in went a trigger from Keep Tinkering. After about 1000 rounds I put in a stainless recoil assembly and a stainless striker sleeve as a preemptive move. Those parts came from LakelineLLC.com.

My copy has a great trigger, excellent reset and of course the restrike feature. They are damn fine pistols for the money. I prefer the G2C for the tactile loaded chamber indicator as well.

Has Taurus had some problems in the past, Yes. And so have everybody else. Cracked slides on G44s, Sigs going off when dropped, Kimbers well you know, new Colt revolvers, I could go on for a while but I've made my point. Is it the best gun out there, no. Is it the worst gun out there, far from it.

As someone who has been active in the gun arena for 50 years, I can say that I've seen more guns getting to market with flaws and problems in the last 10 years or so than it ever seemed to happen in the past.

OP, get a couple of the 17 round mags for your G2C, pair it with an IWB holster from Concealment Express and you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to carry 18 rounds of protection.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tirador223] [#2]
With all due respect, you can have your Taurus and good luck.  Having been burned twice by their poorly built and/or nonfunctional products, I’m not about to return to that brand, I don’t care how wonderful they appear.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tirador223:
With all due respect, you can have your Taurus and good luck.  Having been burned twice by their poorly built and/or nonfunctional products, I’m not about to return to that brand, I don’t care how wonderful they appear.
View Quote

Totally understandable and yes still need to do more durability testing but so far I am happy.  I bought a SCCY last year and had problems off the bat.  A trip back to SCCY did not help at all.  I loved the concept and that little gun was accurate when it worked.  I got burned and was tempted to give a second chance but Academy had the G2C for 249 on sale.  I’m glad I got it.  I then bought the G2S for 249 as well.  I have not been disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Let us know how the 2C runs w/ SIG P226 mags.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Let us know how the 2C runs w/ SIG P226 mags.
View Quote

I have a G3 and G2c they run fine with P226 mags. I have never had a stoppage with either of mine. On OEM or Sig mags. Then again I only run the finest cheap steelcase 9mm ammo in mine so YMMV.

I’ve Taurus pistols for years. I had a Beretta copy PT99AF that was flawless too. A friend of mine bought one of their 1911 pistols and the ambi safety broke early on so I understand the mistrust but I’ve never had a bad experience.

I highly recommend the TX22 in .22 rimfire as well.
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:26:35 AM EDT
[#7]
44-40pro is 100% correct in his statement. I have a very early PT111pro, (9mm) that still shoots small groups and that was a carry pistol for years and always worked if needed. I almost turned it in during the "ol no it might go off scare" Taurus had, but I kept it because the trigger was so damn good so I said no way.
To this day it will still group as well as any of the newer 9's I have and still carries 12rds of 147fp in case i need it.

For the haters, all I can say if you bought one during the "maybe it will work years," well shit happens it is just part of the learning curve with any brand out there, and we all go through it.
If you hate this brand, why the hell are you reading about Taurus's in the first place?

I'm waiting on a new G3c .40S&W to show up and if it's junk I will post it here. However after looking at all of the 1,000, 2-3,000 round tests it's not likely to be a lemon. And for only a couple of hundred bucks I'll find out.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By bluealtered:  44-40pro is 100% correct in his statement. I have a very early PT111pro, (9mm) that still shoots small groups and that was a carry pistol for years and always worked if needed. I almost turned it in during the "ol no it might go off scare" Taurus had, but I kept it because the trigger was so damn good so I said no way.
To this day it will still group as well as any of the newer 9's I have and still carries 12rds of 147fp in case i need it.

For the haters, all I can say if you bought one during the "maybe it will work years," well shit happens it is just part of the learning curve with any brand out there, and we all go through it.
If you hate this brand, why the hell are you reading about Taurus's in the first place?

I'm waiting on a new G3c .40S&W to show up and if it's junk I will post it here. However after looking at all of the 1,000, 2-3,000 round tests it's not likely to be a lemon. And for only a couple of hundred bucks I'll find out.
View Quote

You'll get a brand new G2C if you call Taurus and send in your 111 on their dime.  It wasn't a scare, they did have a poor sear design/implementation.  If you have em send you a .40, it'll share mags w/ your new G3C.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several Taurus revolvers never had any issues, saw a 24/7 at range day for being an Armed Guard in college, we had to supply our own guns, well the 24/7 basically exploded itself. At first I thought either a squib round or over pressure round, but when we all walked over you could clearly see it was failure of the frame, and the mechanism that holds the barrel and recoil spring in. Just launched the barrel and guide rod straight out at he was dropping the slide. The was supposed to be Taurus's LE gun about 10 years ago. I was not impressed, the owner of the 24/7 bought a Glock soon after that. I have looked at their other semi autos they always seemed cheap or heavy, or had a heavy trigger, or just felt cheap. That said I just bought a G2C for my mother in law, and I am very impressed with the quality of the pistol holding it, and shooting it for the first time, no issues at all. Taurus seems to have upped their game in the last few years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top