Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2018 12:54:41 PM EDT
I got a Taurus 605, stainless steel, revolver last week and thought I would give my first impressions of the pistol. The finish work on this revolver is actually pretty good. There are no tool marks or any finish blemishes visible. The inside portion of the crane has a few Mark's on it but nothing worse than any Smith and Wesson I have owned. Took her apart and didn't notice anything of concern under the side plate. She was pretty dry but every thing looked well machined and clean. The trigger feels pretty good a little heavy but smooth. It's not as nice as my M19  but I think it might get close. The lock up is very tight and seems consistent for all five cylinders. I am going to take her to the range tomorrow and run some 357 mag 158 gr, as well as some 38 special 158 gr ammo through her. I will let you know how she shoots.
Link Posted: 9/18/2018 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Went to the range today and put a few rounds through my 605 and was pretty happy. The trigger pull is very smooth and is easy to stage in double action. I shot 100 rounds of 38 special and about 30 rounds of 357 through her. The 357 was 158 gr jsp at around 1200 fps. It was pretty tough to shoot and almost at the edge of being uncomfortable.  But, the little pistol handled it well. I think I am going to try the 357 mag 135 gr short barrel ammo through this pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear.
I had a blued 605 that was my edc for about 5 yrs.
Ran mostly mid range .357 through it (my reloads).  Defensive ammo was definitely painful to me.  Shot that stuff sparingly.
Be sure to post your impressions of the short barreled ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2019 6:37:20 PM EDT
[#3]
So, I have around 700 rounds through this gun and it is proving to be a good gun. No issues whatsoever and accurate. It's not a lot of fun to shoot with full power .357  but it does shoot it well. I tested the Speer 135 gd  short barrel .357 and it is very easy to handle. I also shot the Remington 124 gr golden saber .357 and it was also easy to handle. The Speer 135 SB ammo was 1130 fps on my chrono. I am going to use it as my carry ammo. Overall, this 605 is fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:45:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the range report. That gun is tempting and I likely will have one eventually but there are a few things ahead of it on my wish list.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 2:42:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad you like yours, I love mine. It's blued (blacked?) with Uncle Mikes Boot Grips on it.
I was running a Barami Hip Grip/ Tyler T-Grip/ Hogue handall combo for a while as well.
I mostly shoot the .38 +p 158 gr LSWCHP's through it.

Thank you for the review!
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I had one and there was nothing wrong with it and it was a decent little shooter---I just didn't care for the lock------------------traded it for a Ruger SP101--now I'm happy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the model 85, 38 special. I've been impressed with how well it shoots for a snubbie. Well worth the price.

Looking for a 605, but haven't found one local.
Link Posted: 11/2/2019 5:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to update this post: I have had this 605 for a little more than a year and it has been flawless. I have about 2k rounds through her now, and lately I have been shooting mostly 357 ammo. I load some 158 sjhp's at 1150 fps for practice.  I haven't settled on a carry round yet, but I am leaning toward the Barnes 125 gr TAC XPD. They shoot pretty good through this gun, but are just a touch on the snappy side. I have shot several hundred of the Reminton GS 125 gr BJHP's, but I am a little concerned with the jacket seperation in ballistic gelatin. It's a shame because the ammo shoots really well in this gun. I tried the Speer SB gold dots, but they are a little tame.  I might roll my own with Winchester 125 gr sjhp at around 1200 fps.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine would light strike winchester Silvertip but in single action lit them off just fine.

Still like it.
Link Posted: 11/7/2019 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t think the perp you’re going to shoot is going to worry about jacket separation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top