Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Fobus holster recall? (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/9/2004 4:59:29 PM EDT
Had Fox news on while I was doing something else in the house, but I glanced up and saw one of those rolling headlines at the bottom of the screen. If I'm not mistaken, it said something to the effect that a certain model of Fobus holsters is being recalled because of eight incidents where a strap or something pulls the trigger when the weapon is drawn. Yikes; I've got two Fobus Roto-holsters (1911 and Glock 19). Mine don't have straps, though. Made me wonder. Anyone else heard anything?
Link Posted: 6/9/2004 5:05:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#1]
Link Posted: 6/9/2004 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Foubus is junk IMO!!!

I had a SIG 229, went to the shop to get a holster, so I decided on a Fobus, I opened the packege, inserted the pistol, and then I could'nt get the gun out of the damned thing... The dealer had to use a dremel to remove the gun, and in the process scratch the picc out of my SIG.. But he took care of that, I did'nt like the sig anyways, but I will never even think of another Fobus pos..
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 2:38:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kpel308] [#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I dunno.  I have a regular roto-holster for my Glock and my 1911.  I like em a lot for range use.  They slip on and off my belt really easily (they're the paddle style), and function well.  I had some Uncle Mike's kydex ones, and they always hung on my belt when trying to remove them.  They're a decent, cheap range holster, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/10/2004 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:40:18 PM EDT
[#6]
They should all be recalled. Put a trainer in a holster tighten up the belt and have someone reach over and smack the holster and watch it pop off the belt. I was told this and tried it, it comes off pretty dang easy. The plactic seems to break right at the rivets each time. I agree with coltshorty45 on this one.
Link Posted: 11/23/2004 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several Fobus holsters.  Never had a problem with any of them.  Some are over 5 YO and get used every week in IDPA matchs.

Opinions are like a**hole*, everyone has 1 and nobody cares.
Link Posted: 12/9/2004 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
a fobus retention holster.  now theres a contradiction.

Fobus holsters, especially rotoholsters, have this way of breaking when yanked on.  If the holster will come apart when someone is yanking on your gun, what's the point of the retention strap?
Link Posted: 2/6/2005 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This video was done specifically to show why one shouldn't open carry in a Fobus.

Video Link

Randy
Link Posted: 3/25/2005 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I had picked up a Fobus holster as a knock-around range holster.  I wasn't looking to draw quickly from it.  I only got it to carry the gun so I wouldn't have to leave my spare on the range booth's counter.  Like coltshorty14, the Fobus I had wouldn't let go of the pistol.  I had to push the pistol to the side, against the holster, to get it to release.  I couldn't get rid of that holster fast enough.  -Since that time I have heard of many instances of the plastic ripping around the rivets...

YMMV, but from what I have seen, Fobus holsters are the poorest quality, mass produced holsters on the market.  There are plenty of quality Kydex holsters out there and there's a reason Fobus costs half as much as those holsters.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By kpel308:
I know a narcotics detective who loves them, too.  After handling his holster/1911 combo, I decided right there that it wasn't for me.  To say I was less than impressed would be an understatement.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary.

Two came with my Glock 21, I like them, they hold my Glock on my hip and are secure, good for open carry.

Bought one for my 1911, and it sucks.

I like leather now.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:49:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gloftoe] [#12]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had 2 and love them.  I had one for my Sigma and it didn't hold it well but it did hold it.  My Glock 22 locks into mine and will stay in  through just about anything.  Only problem with them is that they can be two hard to get off my belt.  Not really that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Originally Posted By RandyDTC:
This video was done specifically to show why one shouldn't open carry in a Fobus.

Video Link

Randy

Yep.  These holsters should be used for RANGE USE ONLY.  I happen to like mine, and it works fine for that purpose.  Would I ever CCW or open carry (if we had that in TX) with one?  Hell no.

Edit, that link's broken.  Let me see if I can find it again.
Edit x2: media.putfile.com/gungrab-fobus

That's some sick shit.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I shall be the oddball in saying I like my fobus for my Glock 17 better than all three of

leather Bianchi holsters.  

There is obviously something wrong with me, because from what I saw in the video looked as if

it took Two men,  the fat one doing the most work, to break the holster.

If someone is trying to get your gun, the first reaction would not be to try and push your

gun clear off of your body, and I understand that you guys think that this man was trying to keep

his gun in his holster,  but the bad guy isn't going to be able to break it off like that unless

you help him.  

The fatass in the video probably never wore a holster before and shouldn't anymore unless

the rest of you would feel safe letting him help bad guys steal guns from him.

Duh.  Get a clue and look closer.

By the way,  if you can't draw the gun out of a fobus,  what are you doing with a gun anyways?

Do you people carry in your purses?
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got Fobus holsters for a number of handguns and for some guns they are my favorite for others they are just okay. Love the 686 Roto, but not so much so for the 1911. All three of my Glocks like them as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I used Fobus holsters for a time but unfortunately had problems with ripping the rivets out of the plastic.  Also have one of the recalled holsters and contacted Fobus about a replacement, but never received a replacement holster.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a Fobus for my 3 gun setup (Sig P220) it is the belt holster type.. I have had no problems with it.

I also  bought a paddle for my 92F, which I do NOT like at all.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I found a translation.

Originally Posted By zeek-the-great-1:

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#20]

I got news, don't like cheap stuff, fine, don't buy it.  That Video is BS, because those two are obviously trying to break that holster.  I suspect I could do somehting similar with most any brand of paddle holster out there.  Paddle holsters are about convenience, not ultimate security, if you want 100% security, buy an UM pro-3.  Personally, I own a Fobus for almost every pistol I own, and just placed an order for 3 more.  I have been Using Fobus since they came out, weekley, for IPSC and 3gun competitions, and have abused the heck out of them with ZERO problems.  About a year ago, at a 3gun match, I fell during a stage.   I was wearing a Fobus C21 1911 paddle holster.  I fell hard, directly on the holster, with the rear sight of my pistol digging into a barricade.  The holster was strong enough that it ripped my jeans and flipped me over as I fell without breaking.  

FObus haters are Just like Wolf Haters, they cannot be reasoned with or dissuaded.  They feel if you didn't spend as much money as possible or at least much as they did, then you are inferior as a human being.  It's your money, spend it however you like.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#21]
A few years ago when I first heard of Fobus, I bought one of their holsters. It Israeli, its got to be good, right??

I went to get out of the passengers side, the holster caught on the door jam (small car), the rivets came out that held the paddle to the holster itself, and my Glock went flying across the parking lot.

I threw it in the trash and never looked back. Cheap rivets with cheap plastic dont mix.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:45:56 PM EDT
[#22]
good thing glocks are so safe

wouldn't have happened with a safe 1911.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By NAM:
good thing glocks are so safe

wouldn't have happened with a safe 1911.  

I havent carried a Glock in a couple years- Jizzno was the beginning of the end between Glock and I.

And it still would have happened, even if I had no weapon in it. This was door jam-big American- rivet and plastic failure, weapon had nothing to do with it.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hylton] [#24]

Originally Posted By CavVet:
A few years ago when I first heard of Fobus, I bought one of their holsters. It Israeli, its got to be good, right??

I went to get out of the passengers side, the holster caught on the door jam (small car), the rivets came out that held the paddle to the holster itself, and my Glock went flying across the parking lot.

I threw it in the trash and never looked back. Cheap rivets with cheap plastic dont mix.

Ouch
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By Gloftoe:

Originally Posted By RandyDTC:

Video Link

Randy

Yep.  These holsters should be used for RANGE USE ONLY.  I happen to like mine, and it works fine for that purpose.  Would I ever CCW or open carry (if we had that in TX) with one?  Hell no.

Edit, that link's broken.  Let me see if I can find it again.
Edit x2: media.putfile.com/gungrab-fobus

yep, utter shit for carry
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 9:29:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Guys, it is REALLY easy to try to skimp on carry gear when you have spent 500 or more on a carry piece.....BUT DON'T DO IT!!!  

As Cav Vet has shown, it's a simple thing that can land your prized carry piece on the concrete.....and while it may not damage your weapon anything more than superficially, think of what kind of DOLT you will look like if people see it.  That's the minimum that can happen.

I used to use fairly cheap holsters for years....as I got fatter and fatter they became more and more uncomfortable and more and more of a liability to my security.  One year, for my birthday, my best friend bought me a Galco paddle rig for my Browning High Power.....and though I would eventually find even that uncomfortable it served me well for years and I still use it from time to time.

Recently I have taken the time to purchase all Galco carry pieces for my Colt 1911 carry gun and also more leather for the High Power....let me tell you, there is a WORLD of difference between Fobus/Uncle Mikes type stuff  and Galco/Mitch Rosen/SafariLand type stuff.

You absolutely cannot afford to buy cheap leather/kydex for a carry piece any more than you can afford to put a Simmons scope and 12 dollar weaver mounts on a Steyr PSG....and expect decent results anyhow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 2:54:52 AM EDT
[#27]
Fobus=junk
Link Posted: 4/25/2006 2:55:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Fobus=junk
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#29]
i bought one based on some reviews and a few people that had one. if i had known i would not like it i would have bought something else. my gun fits fine, but after the first use its rubbing the finish off. so i stopped using it. ill prolly sell it or use it for a airsoft holster instead.
Link Posted: 4/28/2006 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Originally Posted By somedude:
i bought one based on some reviews and a few people that had one. if i had known i would not like it i would have bought something else. my gun fits fine, but after the first use its rubbing the finish off. so i stopped using it. ill prolly sell it or use it for a airsoft holster instead.

rubbing the finish off of what?
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I'v carried a G23 in a Fobus for years, and I love mine. How does a strap pull the trigger on a gun when the gun is being drawn UP, and the trigger has to be pulled the opposite direction??
Link Posted: 5/18/2006 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Leather will rub the finish off a gun as fast as plastic. Besides a worn gun just looks good. Honest, and well carried.
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 8:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LSP972] [#33]
height=8
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:

FObus haters are Just like Wolf Haters, they cannot be reasoned with or dissuaded.  They feel if you didn't spend as much money as possible or at least much as they did, then you are inferior as a human being.

And THAT is about the best summation of the situation I've ever read. Good post, Barry.

I realize I'm digging up a corpse that is better left buried, but all the "experts" on these boards just wear me out at times. I've carried a G19 in a Fobus GL2 professionally for over seven years. I've snagged it on door frames, car doors, etc., numerous times; it is still quite serviceable, thank you.

As for the repeated referrals to that video... if you THINK about it for a minute, you'll realize the absurdity of the premise. The Fobus paddle holster is meant to be CONCEALED... i.e., if somebody makes a grab for your piece, then you don't know how to keep it hidden.

Here's a news flash for all you "badged" (CCW permit) guys who don't carry for a living; if the grabber is bigger and/or stronger than you, he WILL get your shit, regardless of WHAT holster you're wearing, unless you make him disengage with a Plan B. We have seen this time and again in officer survival training.

So sit there behind your 'puter, with your smug attitude, secure in the knowledge that your $150 custom leather or Kydex holster is better than my cheap little Fobus. You see, I've been where you are, and had a box full of custom leather that began gathering dust once I discovered the Fobus. I used to sneer at Fobus too; until a colleague shamed me into trying one.

I just purchased a new Fobus HK1 for my new USPc. Fobus has done some improvements; this new holster is more substantial than my old one, yet is just as light and handy.

If you've tried a Fobus and didn't like it, then fair enough. But if you're simply parroting what you're read here and elsewhere, do us all a favor and don't pontificate on a topic of which you have no personal knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/25/2006 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Never had a problem with a Fobus holster.
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#36]
height=8
I've tried Fobus holsters, back when they first came out...

If you get the opportunity, check out a new-production Fobus. They've made some improvements.
Link Posted: 8/2/2006 8:29:35 PM EDT
[#37]
kpel308,

Got any salt?hinking.gif

The Fobus HK1 for my USPc .45 doesn't hold the gun securely. Every other Fobus I've used held the gun positively against negative G; IOW, if you fell on your back, etc, the gun would stay put. A determined tug was necessary to release it.

Not this one; you can now ease the gun out with two fingers on the butt. Obviously, that's a no-go. The first few days it was fine; perhaps something is wrong with it, after a couple of hundred presentations. Oh, well...

I ordered a Kramer this afternoon.

BTW, I've been toting for 28 years; 226 days till retirement. I've come full circle: from using "common" leather as a rookie, to discovering custom stuff, then the Fobus, and now back to custom.

There's gotta be a moral in there somewhere...
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Not particularly enamored of synthetics; the Fobus worked and it was cheap, which is why I tried another one for my new gun.

I much prefer leather; but, being as big a skinflint at heart as the next cop, if the plastic el cheapo worked satisfactorily, why spend large for custom leather? Of course, THIS plastic el cheapo doesn't work satisfactorily.  So I spent large for custom leather... along with having to eat my words.

Back when I was working on the range every day, and Kydex was a new phenomenon, I tried a Blade-Tech for my P220. Its good stuff, but just didn't trip my trigger, so to speak. But I am looking forward to receiving my Kramer scabbard. The many presentations necessary to "break-in" the leather  will give yet more familirization with the gun. That LEM trigger takes a bit of getting used to, but I like it.

Anyway, just thought you'd be interested to hear that I was hoist on me own petard...
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 4:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Aimless] [#40]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:18:04 PM EDT
[#42]
height=8
Originally Posted By Aimless:
One instructor who taught retention classes said the first thing he would do is single out someone with a fobus holster, have him put a blue gun in, then grab it and yank it so that the fobus holster broke in half, then hand him a $ 20.

Pardon me while I yawn; then see my remarks above regarding gun grabbers. Anyone who carries exposed, and isn't wearing a proper uniform duty-type holster, is ASKING to have their piece snatched.

Concealed carry is much more than techniques and gear; it is very much a state of mind as well.

Not dissing you personally, Aimless; but I have heard this pap about how easy a Fobus is to break repeated so often it is getting tiresome. I'm not disputing the fact; but those "instructors" who belabor the point are MISSING the point: which is, the Fobus is intended for concealed carry. IOW, nobody ahould know you even have a gun until you're ready to show it to them...h,
Link Posted: 8/3/2006 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Too much temptation.  Sorry...h.gif

No need to apologize. I earned it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2007 8:47:43 PM EDT
[#44]
When the Roto-Holster first came out I thought the 360 degree adjustability feature would be worthwhile as I was spending 3 1/2 to 4 hours twice a week on a commute to work in another city and I wanted something I could adjust to work for a seated car position.

I quickly discovered that although the Fobus was great for that purpose, it was useless for concealed carry.  So, I used it during the commute and switched to a Blade-Tech paddle holster before and after the commute.  Worked great for it's intended purpose and I liked it.  Now that I don't have that long commute, I just use the BT and position it a little further back around the hip in the car and slip it back forward for walking around.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 3:29:16 AM EDT
[#45]
No more fobus for me. This is the second time I've had problems with their design. I was using the recalled roto holster with the hard plastic strap on my Glock 22 with M3 light on a warrant service. Had the guy on the ground and started to holster. At the last minute I noticed that hard plastic thumb break had slipped into the trigger guard. I almost shot a hole in my leg. Got the replacement holster and it has worked fine.

Today I picked up a new fobus revolution holster for my Kimber. I get it home and try it out. The Kimber slid in with a loud click and it was in there for good. I couldn't get it back out. The instructions say you have pull it straight up with force. Well that's no good for anyone in a dangerous situation where a quiet and slow draw may be necessary. The Fobus guys just don't think things through. Oh and I couldn't get the Kimber out till I loosened the tension screw so much till the gun just slid out without any resistance. Back to the gun shop it goes.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 4:04:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Odingaard] [#46]
This sucks; I have the EXACT Fobus they denoted as being unsafe. I bought it about 2 months ago because I wanted a holster for my G19 with my TLR-1 mounted. I don't use it for a daily carry holster, I only break it out once in a blue moon if my wife and I go for a late night walk. If I am not using the TLR, I prefer my Galco Matrix Belt Slide in the composite holster arena - it just seems a bit nice than the Fobus to me.

I'll probably keep mine as it is seldom used. I will, however, not be taking it's possible safety issues for granted.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 12:13:24 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Odingaard:
This sucks; I have the EXACT Fobus they denoted as being unsafe. I bought it about 2 months ago because I wanted a holster for my G19 with my TLR-1 mounted. I don't use it for a daily carry holster, I only break it out once in a blue moon if my wife and I go for a late night walk. If I am not using the TLR, I prefer my Galco Matrix Belt Slide in the composite holster arena - it just seems a bit nice than the Fobus to me.

I'll probably keep mine as it is seldom used. I will, however, not be taking it's possible safety issues for granted.

Dude take it back and request the recall replacement. The replacement is 100 times better even if you just use it once in a blue moon. That one time might be the one time you accidently shoot yourself or hurt someone close by. Not worth the chance when they must provided you the redesigned one free of charge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 5:36:47 AM EDT
[#48]
All three of mine work just fine.................
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 10:47:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/2/2008 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By BallisticTip:
Never had a problem with a Fobus holster.

Carried a glock in a fobus GL2 for 3 years without any trouble.
I fell off the roof of my truck (don't ask), onto my side with the gun in fobus holster.
Hurt like a MF, but it held up just fine.
Sold it with my glock, but I'll consider getting another one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked Fobus holster recall? (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top