Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 2:02:44 PM EDT
I broke one of the j-hook arms on my LH IWB Blade-Tech holster a few days ago.

I ordered a replacement and apparently they've gone to some new injection molded polymer material that's a little different than the old molded Kydex ones.

So I'm sitting here trying to put this new j-hook on my holster, and it doesn't fit!! The holes for the mounting screws on the new j-hook don't quite match up with the holes on the holster.

A comparison between the old j-hook and the new j-hook shows that the holes don't quite line up between the two.

What am I missing here? Are the new style j-hooks intended to be a direct replacement for the old stlye j-hooks or did I order the wrong thing?

ETA:

I called Blade-Tech to get this from the horse's mouth. The guy at Blade-Tech said that the older holsters (those made prior to the new j-hook design) won't necessarily work with the newer j-hooks. The older j-hooks were custom made by hand for each holster, and the newer j-hooks are made by machine according to a template.

Therefore I'm out of luck. $21 later after the cost of a new j-hook and shipping, that's what I get.

His solution: I can either buy MORE stuff from them as he suggested I buy a pull-the-dot snap system, or I can send my old holster back to them to have them custom fit a j-hook to my holster. That'll mean I'll be out of a holster for how long? Who knows....

This is dumb. I think I'll just go buy a SideArmor holster.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet I could make that new J-hook work,Judgeing from the picture it looks to only be off by about 1/16" of an inch, just elongate each hole in the J-hook by 1/32"use a button head screw if necessary.I know it sucks when shit does not work the way its supposed to but sometimes ya just got to improvise!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, that sounds like shitty customer service on one hand, but on the other, are they going to make the retrofit for free if you send it off?  Sometimes things do break, that's why redundancy is the key!  Always have a back-up plan.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to make that work.  Though after you get it working I would still buy a different holster cause that one is uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Comp-tac my friend--great products and CS

besides, when i was surfing at bladetech, they had a long backorder period
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Fixed it.

I did some WECSOG BS and took a drill w/ appropriately-sized bit and elongated one of the holes a little bit. Fits like a champ now.

I'll check into Comp-Tac though....
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad it's working and good to know about the solution and problem on bladetech end...

Have a Merry Xmas
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My experience with Blade-Tech customer service has been poor. I bought a Blade-Tech magazine carrier. The pouch wouldn't properly hold the magazine and the belt loop was too narrow.  

Their CSR was rude and basically told me tough luck since I didn't buy the pouch directly from them. I'll never spend a  dime on their product again. Blade-Tech does not stand behind their work despite them pushing the fish.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:45:36 AM EDT
[#8]
For every person, there must be a different experience.  I've done business with BladeTech for years and when I was up in the Pac NW, every time I showed them a problem with one of their products, they'd fix it for free.

One time, I walked into their shop with a mag pouch/surefire 6p holder that I'd been dremeling on to get to work and they replaced it right then and there.  Obviously, if something has to be custom fitted, you'd have to send it in to have it done, but I've never had a poor customer service experience.

BTW, as far as comfort on that holster, I've used a ton of holsters and right now, I'm back to carrying in a Bladetech IWB.  I have custom handmade horsehide holsters that just aren't as comfortable for me as that kydex IWB, mostly because it's slim.  Plus, Kydex doesn't absorb my sweat when it gets kind of warm here in Texas.  It's going to be 80 today!  

Cheers,

kk7sm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top