Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2005 10:49:21 PM EDT
I have a glock 19 that I use for CCW and home defense.  I have four types of ammunition right now that I am trying to decide between and I would really appreciate some input.  I already have this stuff and can't afford to go get anything else at the moment, but when I do have some dough I am going to stock up on some good ammo depending on the results of my research.  For now I need help deciding what to use out of what I've got.  Thanks for the help.

60 rnds Federal 115 grain HI-SHOK JHP.     (1160 fps, 345 ft/lbs at muzzle according to the box)

40 rnds 115 grain Speer Gold Dot GDHP

18 rnds Corbon 9mm +P 115 grain JHP   (1350 fps, 466 ft/lbs according to the box)

75 rnds Remington Golden Saber 124 grain Brass Jacketed Hollow Pt.  (non +P I guess because it doesn't say on the box)  

I've been using the Golden Saber for my carry mags and the Gold Dot in my glock 18 mag.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:49:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, also, in case it matters...

Glock 19 has a 4 inch barrel, I carry no spare magazines when I CCW (15 + 1), and at home I keep two 15 rounders and one 32 rounder loaded (I have more 15 and 17 round mags but store them).  Based on this I am trying to decide on a primary load for my primary 15 rnd mag, and a secondary for my other 15 and 32 rnders.  I bought all of these to test them out at the range and they all shot well out of my pistol, although I did notice the difference with the corbon +P as far as noise and recoil.  Normally I practice with 115 grain WWB if that makes any difference, 100-200 rounds every other weekend, its cheap and I've got like 400 rounds of it.  

ETA:

Any help would be appreciated.  I have done a lot of research and keep hearing different things from different people.  I think eventually I am either going to go with Gold Dot 124grain (don't know if I want +P or not) or Golden Saber 124 (+P???) or 147 grain, or the 147 grain Ranger T's.  I am not sure yet, I will research, but I am just wondering what to use out of what I've got.

Thanks guys.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#2]
bump for morning crew
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:14:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Out of the 4 I would personally choose the Rem GS in 124gr.  I carry these except I use +p.  They function well for me, are accurate, and have low muzzle flash.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Uh, why do you carry a handgun with no back up mag?  That's just plain dumb.

Use whatever ammo has the best track record in your pistol.  Try to think of malfs you might have had at range.

All else being equal, I'd run the Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:21:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Uh, why do you carry a handgun with no back up mag?  That's just plain dumb.

Use whatever ammo has the best track record in your pistol.  Try to think of malfs you might have had at range.

All else being equal, I'd run the Gold Dot.

Not necessarily.  Some people carry revolvers.  Carry a primary and a BUG and you don't have 16 rounds.  People who carry 1911's AND carry a spare mag still only have as many rounds as I do.  I don't have the dough right now to get an IWB magazine pouch anyway.  Eventually I will, don't know that I will always carry it though.  I don't see a problem with doing so, hell there is nothing wrong with it is a good idea.  But I fail to see how only carrying 16 rounds for defense against common criminals is "DUMB".  When the maffia orders a hit on me I will carry a few extra mags and wear a vest.  Hell when I've got more dough to spend I just might get a pouch and carry a spare when going to more high risk areas.   Right now though I have limited funds (as you can tell by my post, or else I'd just go buy some ranger T probably right now), and I would rather spend that little bit that I do have on training ammo/range-time rather then an extra mag pouch.  I am sure they aren't that much, but I am pretty comfortable with my set-up right now and don't have a lot of time to experiment around.  I have to fix my wife's car and take care of some things around the house, I just can't justify buying more gear right now.  I can justify a little bit of practice ammo and range time once every week or two though.  

When I do get an extra mag pouch, can you recommend any good IWB ones for maximum concealment?  Where would you suggest I keep it, somewhere between 8 and 10 'o' clock?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The extra magazine is incase you have a magazine related failure.  I carry my G19 with 2 17rd spares, one weak side belt, the other in the weak side pocket.  Full loadout of 50 rounds.

Now, to the topic at hand.  Don't be cheap when it comes to your life.  Get some quality ammo.  I recommend 147gr rangers or gold dots.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The extra magazine is incase you have a magazine related failure.  I carry my G19 with 2 17rd spares, one weak side belt, the other in the weak side pocket.  Full loadout of 50 rounds.

Now, to the topic at hand.  Don't be cheap when it comes to your life.  Get some quality ammo.  I recommend 147gr rangers or gold dots.

If you have any kind of failure in a self defense scenario, you're dead.

Pistols are a last resort anyway.  My pistols at home only have one magazine of ammo available, and that is more than enough
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have any kind of failure in a self defense scenario, you're dead.

Pistols are a last resort anyway.  My pistols at home only have one magazine of ammo available, and that is more than enough

sure, if you don't train for the failure or are not equipped to handle it, you have no choice but to die.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Of the rounds you mention, I don't anticipate that any specicif load will far outshine the others n terms of terminal effectiveness.  The thing that would concern me is feeding and functioning reliability in your gun.  If you've already shot a couple hundred rounds with one of the loads without any failures, then I'd recommend that load.

It doesn't make sense to me that shooters often switch to a different brand of ammo hoping to gain some small advantage in terminal effectiveness, but without shooting a couple hundred rounds in their gun to confirm feeding and functioning reliability.  If you're already shooting a reliably expanding JHP bullet that feeds and functions well in your gun, you are usually better off sticking with that load than switching loads without shooting a couple hundred rounds with the new load to confirm feeding and functional reliability.

You would also do well to heed the advice that's been given and carry a spare magazine, and perhaps even a backup gun.  Anything you really need, you really need two of, in case the first one doesn't work as expected.

Michael Courtney
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top