Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 12:59:18 PM EDT
Picked up some Speer Gold Dot 9mm in 124 grain HP.  The stuff works like a champ in my Kel-Tec P-11 and in my SW M-39.  Interesting thing is that there is a sticker on the end of the box that states "124 GR GDHP--Reclassified--Not for Law Enforcement"  I asked the dealer if he knew what it meant, but he just said, "Beats me."  Price was pretty goo I thought at $14 per box of 50.  Any ideas about this "Reclassified ammo?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It’s a marketing gimmick
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:11:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing it was originally made for LE use and thus was FET exempt. They then for whatever reason did not sell it to LE. The Federal Exise Tax was then paid so the ammo could be sold to non LE.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Problems with primers not going bang.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Recalled ammo that had problems as noted by innocent_bystander. It was swapped out and sold to various dealers by CCI with the understanding it would not be marketed as LE ammo. It may work finer for you or it may have a few problems. No big deal for range ammo, but no way I would ever use it for serious purposes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I recall hearing it had a defect rate, a small defect rate though.

It was 1 in10,000 or something like that.  

Has anyone had any problems with it?

Also makes you wonder what is the acceptable failure rate from the factory of your carry ammo.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I checked the lot numbers of the recalled ammo and this was not among them????
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:51:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I checked the lot numbers of the recalled ammo and this was not among them????

Obviously still manufactured within the same time frame when the bad primers may have found their way into these cases, etc. The potential results of only a single bad factory primer when it can be proven that the factory knew about a problem and still advertised and marketed the ammo for LE use...and subsequently non-LEO defensive use as well...are too much for any company to take a chance with. I still would not use this stuff for defense, but you may very possibly shoot several thousand rounds and never have a problem...just depends on how the dice roll.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 2:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Ammoman.com had some 9mm, 40S&W on their website.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive had 115 grain FMJ 9mm rounds marketed by "factory reloads" by Georgia Arms not go off.  I have had one in about 370 not work.  I pulled the trigger and heard a click, pulled the slide back and found a round with a dimpled primer.  Put it back in and it went off.  Kind of like Denzel in "Man on Fire".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top