Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 8:19:45 AM EDT
As the title states, does anyone know the performance specs on WW2 German military 9mm handgun ammo?

I have recently acquired a post war P1/P38 and am curious what the ammo was performing at in the day.

I know that most shooters of P38s say that the modern WWB or Fed Champ from Wally World is GTG, but I am wondering how those rounds stack up to the original loadings, and am curious if other 9mm may be a better choice.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:29:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately it'll be extremely difficult if not impossible to answer your question since there were several bullet designs of various weights that the Germans developed and fielded during WWII.  

The original loading was a 124gr FMJ with a lead core.

As lead became more valuable the Germans designed a jacketed bullet with a iron core (mE - mit Eisenkern = with iron core). Basically a iron core insert encased in lead at the tip, sides and base of the insert.  

They then produced a jacketed bullet using a completely sintered iron core (sE - sintered Eisen = sintered iron).  My sample sE bullet loaded by  Hasag Eisin u. Metallwerke in Poland in 1942 (factory code: kam) weighs 100 grains.  

Towards the end of the war they dropped the jacket from the sE bullet and all that remained was a light weight sintered iron bullet. My sample bullet loaded by RWS of Germany in 1944 (factory code: dnh) weighs only 90 grains.

I've not seen any ballistics tables for any of these loads out of pistols or SMGs back during WWII, but I'm sure they exist somewhere (or existed at one time).

That's about all the info I can offer you with my limited knowledge about WWII German 9mm ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#2]
One person that may know is Lew, and he can be emailed at the address listed here: http://gigconceptsinc.com  He probably has the all the German 9mm stuff (and I do mean ALL), as well as documentation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top