Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 9:31:20 AM EDT
I recently bought an M&P compact in 40sw and I have put several hundred rounds though it. I am fairly consistently hitting low and to the left when I am practicing. I let my friend shoot the gun and the same thing was happening to him. I am using a standard grip with two hands, both thumbs forward and i am shooting at the target from 10 yards. Is the problem with me or is it the gun?

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently bought an M&P compact in 40sw and I have put several hundred rounds though it. I am fairly consistently hitting low and to the left when I am practicing. I let my friend shoot the gun and the same thing was happening to him. I am using a standard grip with two hands, both thumbs forward and i am shooting at the target from 10 yards. Is the problem with me or is it the gun?

Thanks guys

You. And your friend. I was doing the same thing. Get some snap caps, and dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. Then, at the range, mix some snap caps in with live ammo. You can't know where they are in the mag, either. You will be surprised at how crappy you really are (I was). Dry firing constantly will help muscle memory so that your trigger control will eventually be the same no matter what gun or caliber you're shooting.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I will echo that from personal experience. I had a Sigma that I traded for a standard size M&P .40 and was having left problems with both. Trying to shoot that heavy trigger on the Sigma screwed me up. I have now figured out that when I properly press the trigger and don't pull it I hit center and in the bull. I wasn't shooting low though, but that could be bullet weight vs. sight height. Heavier slugs will usually shoot higher and lighter lower.

ETA: Concentrate through the entire trigger squeeze and I think you will see a difference. I can tell when I do it right and when I don't now and when it doesn't feel right on release I will nearly always hit left.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Try going up one size on the grip insert.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
You're slapping the trigger. Hitting low left is very common. Mix dummy rounds in the mag with live rounds, and you'll notice how bad it is when the hammer drops on a dummy round that you think is live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top