Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2016 8:54:36 PM EDT
Anyone seeing them in your LGS?

I'm hearing they are starting to show up on distributor's lists, and one was sold on Gun Broker yesterday for like $800.

Have the $$ burning a hole in my pocket waiting for it to show up.

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Two things I have learned in 30 years buying, collecting, and smithing on guns.

Rule 1) guns are always best in the caliber they were originally designed for.

Rule2) guns are always best in the original size configureation they were designed for.

Bought a Glock 30S because I like the Glock in 9mm so much and it was just a small chunky gun.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I suggest go for one of the performance shop shields.
Hell of a package coming out of S&W custom shop for the price.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:48:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think the 45c would be a much better ergonomic gun than the shield.

I think S&W needs to make the 9 and 45 off the frame of the 22 compact. I have one I think it is the perfect size and ergonomics of any gun I have. If they do that, I will buy them and sell all my other guns. Love that gun
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't seen them yet, but I'm anxiously waiting for one to show up at one of the many shops around me. The Shield is finally in the caliber I prefer and it being a little bigger will make it more comfortable to shoot, yet still be very concealable.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't buy one when they first hit the market. You will pay high dollar and the weapon will probably still have a few bugs in it.

Wait until they have been out for awhile and the prices have dropped and the bugs have been worked out.

Link Posted: 7/10/2016 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't buy one when they first hit the market. You will pay high dollar and the weapon will probably still have a few bugs in it.

Wait until they have been out for awhile and the prices have dropped and the bugs have been worked out.

View Quote
That's what I do, I wait six months or more until things have worked themselves out.

I can still remember all of those telling us we need to jump on the G42 or G43 bandwagon and then seeing those same people saying what we needed is having issues already
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We received ~100 of them with thumb safeties.  

They were LE/Military/1st Responder Program buns.  All were presold @ $359/ea.

View Quote

Do you know when the civilian model is arriving for sale?
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The safety model interests me. The one without...not unless it was a steal of a price.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We stay in pretty close contact with S&W.  They stated that the .45 Shields would ship en masse to both commercial and LE distributors by the end of June.  We received some of the models with thumb safeties last Monday, but none of the ones without safeties.  We are closer to S&W's plant than most of their commercial distributors.

Based on the above, S&W is clearly shipping the models with safeties.  I suspect it takes a commercial distributor 4 days to turn around a shipment and get them to dealers who pre-ordered them, so they should just start hitting dealers this coming week.

I suspect initial prices in the commercial world will be high, but will quickly taper to reasonable.  Why do I think that?  Because I believe S&W will shift a lot of production from other lines into making .45 Shields.

Just speculation, but I be pretty accurate.

View Quote

So do you sell to civilians?

I'm looking for a safety model, 180022, and am ready to order right now.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
So what's it like to fire a 20oz  .45 ?
I'd think a 2" .357 would be more pleasant.  

ETA: I guess it's only 1-2 oz lighter than a G36.

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So what's it like to fire a 20oz  .45 ?
I'd think a 2" .357 would be more pleasant.  

ETA: I guess it's only 1-2 oz lighter than a G36.

View Quote
You mean what will it be like firing something that is made for human hands? It will be glorious
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 10:26:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Do you have or will have some for non LE/Military/1st Responder people?

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:33:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll be waiting for a non-safety model. A 1911 guy here and the Shield safeties are to stiff and small and the fullsize safeties are too high, too far back, too thin to ride your thumb on and are at a high angle when in the off/down position. If they were natural like a 1911 safety I wouldn't care which model I got. If you look at the prices,sales and availability of the Shield in 9/40 with and without the thumb safety it's quite obvious which one is more popular.

Before the "don't use it" comments, I don't want a feature on my gun that I'll ignore that may activate on it's own no matter how low the possibility.

I've seen a few Shield 45s on Gunbroker selling for normal prices and a few that were outrageously expensive. All of them had the thumb safety.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll be waiting for a non-safety model. A 1911 guy here and the Shield safeties are to stiff and small and the fullsize safeties are too high, too far back, too thin to ride your thumb on and are at a high angle when in the off/down position. If they were natural like a 1911 safety I wouldn't care which model I got. If you look at the prices,sales and availability of the Shield in 9/40 with and without the thumb safety it's quite obvious which one is more popular.

Before the "don't use it" comments, I don't want a feature on my gun that I'll ignore that may activate on it's own no matter how low the possibility.

I've seen a few Shield 45s on Gunbroker selling for normal prices and a few that were outrageously expensive. All of them had the thumb safety.
View Quote
Popular will not change my mind on wanting the safety model. And it's alright to be paranoid of that small possibility but after four years of experience...it is not a possibility of engaging on it's own [shrugs]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm very curious about the Shield 45 but in my brief moment of daily clarity I re-think my need to replace my Shield 9 and redo the training, upgrading (sights, trigger, Talon tape) and accessorizing (new holsters).  Once I get a chance to shoot one, who knows!

ETA Have not seen one in So Florida.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Popular will not change my mind on wanting the safety model. And it's alright to be paranoid of that small possibility but after four years of experience...it is not a possibility of engaging on it's own [shrugs]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not paranoia, just a feature that's not natural enough to use, so I'll just get one without it. If it was the same size and in the same location as a 1911 thumb safety I'd be all for it. The website sale specials and availability is my own observation since the Shield was first released.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one yesterday with thumb safety. Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, KY.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:00:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm on the waiting list at the Woodbridge store for a no T/S model - I'm patient - probably should have pre-ordered when my team e-mail hit instead of waiting a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#21]
A guy brought over his XDS 45 some time ago.  Shooting it was like hammering your hand.  Not a pleasant experience at all.  He was afraid of it.

I would like one of these to fit in with the other S&W pieces.  I will wait.  For now the shield 9 or 40 will do just fine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:09:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Grab A Gun has both; safety or no safety for $444, $449

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:03:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Sportsman's Warehouse had the non safety version for $429 today.  I liked the new grip texture and front cocking serrations.  Trigger was meh but didn't have that false reset that my 9 had. Be interesting to see what Apex offers for it.

Sir James...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I would think the 45c would be a much better ergonomic gun than the shield.

I think S&W needs to make the 9 and 45 off the frame of the 22 compact.
I have one I think it is the perfect size and ergonomics of any gun I have. If they do that, I will buy them and sell all my other guns. Love that gun
View Quote

I have a Shield 9mm and a 22 compact. They both fit the same holsters, even work as far as retention.

They're close enough that I can barely tell the difference.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]
YouTube reviews are nothing but positive. Most stating the recoil is not bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
YouTube reviews are nothing but positive. Most stating the recoil is not bad at all.
View Quote

I predicted as much. I've owned the 9mm Shield and currently own two FS45s that have the lowest felt recoil I've ever experienced with a 45. I can't wait to pick my no safety Shield 45 from my FFL next week.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#29]
waiting for ported
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:36:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Mine arrives next Tuesday!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:20:46 PM EDT
[#31]
LGS had 4 instock $369 each. The capacity was the only reason I didnt get one. I cant see why I would choose it over my snubby 357 when they both hold the same amount of rounds
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#32]
I look at it as it's a thin auto with the same capacity as a 1911.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:03:47 AM EDT
[#33]
I got mine from Academy sports for $439 and put about 200 rounds through it. The trigger is kinda meh, but I am used to the Apex one on my 9mm shield so that would be the only thing I would replace when they have one available.

What I have been looking for is extra mags, if anyone knows a website please share link.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:29:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I got mine from Academy sports for $439 and put about 200 rounds through it. The trigger is kinda meh, but I am used to the Apex one on my 9mm shield so that would be the only thing I would replace when they have one available.

What I have been looking for is extra mags, if anyone knows a website please share link.
View Quote

No extra mags yet, when I talked to Smith and Wesson yesterday they said look for them in 60-90 days, right now all stock was committed to the new guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top