Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 5:33:24 PM EDT
I've got a line on a nice S&W 469. Any opinions on this model?

I actually like a finely made "metal" smith & wesson - I'm hoping its got a good reputation.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The 469 is a second generation aluminum frame 9MM with 12 round magazine ramp front sight with a yellow line and a rounded rear sight with white outline.  The pistol uses very slim plastic grips as opposed to the 3rd generation 6904 with one piece grip.  The pistol was designed in the early 80's to compete with the ASP & other  conversions to S&W 9 MM to make them easier to conceal.  The 469 has the typical long double action pull for the first shot and a shorter lighter single action trigger pull for the subsequent shots.  These pistols  make good self defense guns if you put in the time to learn the DA/SA trigger system.  Since the 469 has no exposed hammer spur  this pistol is not as safe to thumb cock for a single action pull as the full size pistol.   You really need to learn to shoot the first double action shot if your serious about carrying  this pistol with a CCW permit.

I don't know of any design or parts problems with the 469 however the 6904 was  the same size and had better factory sights and a more comfortable grip for most shooters.  I personally would not pay over $350 for a mint 469 when newer 3rd generations S&W can be found on the market.  I owned a 469 and was later issued a 6904 so I'm familiar with both pistols.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the feedback - I ended up buying his S&W 457 instead  - It was a great price ($250) and its like new in the box with 2 spare  mags and all factory papers.
Its got a better grip than the 469 but a little larger.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I think you probably bought the more desirable of the two pistol.  In my mind the 457 were not produced  in very large numbers and would have more of a collectors value as well as still being a compact gun in 45 ACP.  I haven't seen a 457 in years post pictures if you can.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 4:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Once I get it on my permit,, Will try to get pics of it and other S&Ws I own up.  Need to figure out how to post pics, from PC stored images.

S&W collection is coming along nicely over the years:

Model 1917 (1937) 45ACP
Pre-17 K-22
M-59 9mm
M457 45acp
Model 422 22LR
Model 586 357mag
Model 15 Combat Masterpiece 38 spec.
Bodyguard 380

I've got lots of other non - S&Ws.  too but I'm mostly fond of the S&W line for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#5]
To post picture use a web hosting sight like photobucket.  You upload your pictures from your pc to photobucket then you get a direct link which you copy to the thread.  I'm not the best with computers and I can even get it done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top